MK2 horn question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
DieterD
Car(s): Ford Capri MK2 1.6
Suzuki Samurai

MK2 horn question

Post by DieterD »

Hallo,

i'm trying to reinstall the horn on my Capri MKII. (it never worked)
I have 1 wire next to the light, who gives 12v. So that's okay.
But, this horn has 2 connections (one marked "G" the other Side "8F")
When I connect them both to the battery, I get a signal for about 0,5 seconds and lot's of sparks.
When I connect only 1 of the 2 to the battery and use the 'ground' of the car, nothing happens.

What is the correct way to connect this thing? From what I see on the forum, the std horn only has 1 connection en ground trough the mounting bolt?
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Re: MK2 horn question

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

have you checked its a 12v horn? that to me looks a lot like the old military 24v horns I had that do exactly the same thing you say yours does
DieterD
Suzuki Samurai

Post by DieterD »

It's a 12v
It says 'klaxon kw9' on the back.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

usually these horns have a screw on the back which you can fiddle with to change the pitch a bit , if you fiddle it to far in either direction the horn no go . I would think that the earth wire would be connected to the mounting bolt , that's if the + feed is switched ( horn button ) , sometimes the power + is permanently on and the earth is switched by the horn button . Some cars have a permanent + feed to all gadgets and the earths are switched , called " earth return switching " and I just cant remember what the Capri has , either way connecting both wires straight to the battery as described should produce a continuous ( deafening ) sound ......... maybe if you connect her all up and fiddle with the screw ...............set of air horns cost bugger all , I had 3 sets on mine but was refused a warrant of fitness ( 6 monthly check .... like an MOT ) coz it was way to loud :xd: had a few laughs tho , made some chick drop all her groceries , then she got all potty mouthed ........ which only made it better :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

i would agree.

Best test is to connect a pos lead and neg lead to the horn, try either way around if your not sure as you can't damage it due to reverse polarity. If its good you will get a constant sound. if not replace with new as they are as cheap as chips for a pair of different tone horns, thats what i ended up doing.

good luck

Mart
DieterD
Suzuki Samurai

Post by DieterD »

Hey, good advice, thank you very much!