Bilstein front suspension leg insert replacement

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Bilstein front suspension leg insert replacement

Post by martinc92 »

Hi All

I am due to change my front bilstein inserts (2.8i) following deliberation whether to swap from original 2.8i legs to converted coil overs complete with new gas inserts etc. - Has anybody completed this task with any info greatly appreciated.

cheers :lowrider:

Mart
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Re: Bilstein front suspension leg insert replacement

Post by Will01 »

Better to convert non billies (e.g. 1.6 or 2.0 struts) as you will have more options for inserts.
This is what i am doing currently and keeping my billies for more of a standard replacement if ever needed
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Will01

Thanks for your reply, interesting theory but i thought the 2.8 legs were slightly different than the 1.6 & 2.0 versions due to power and engine weight, not sure of exact differences though, plus i would prefer to keep original legs if possible?

cheers

Mart
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

I spoke to Martin (Capri Gear) about this once and he mentioned you can actually send your original inserts off to Bilstein to be reconditioned at a reasonable rate (similar price to buying new inserts).
If you want originality that's got to be the best option.

Cheers,
Matt
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

2.8 legs have bilstein inserts which are bolted at the bottom. You can get them reconditioned to keep.standard or if converting to coilover there are only a couple choices for new different inserts.

If you take 1.6 or 2.0 legs you can convert to coil over with threaded sleeve which is same for both type of leg.
However due to internal dimensions there are a lot more options for inserts.

I have a set of billies which I bought to convert. But after a lot of research I have decided to keep in std condition as they will also keep their value. I had a very rusty crappie looking set of 2.0 legs which I sandblasted and they have turned out to be in.perfect condition for.coil over conversion.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
martinc92

Post by martinc92 »

Thanks for your replies gents.

I think that i will pursue the Bilstein refurb route. I have been provided with a link from Andrew of which led me to a website called Gartrac. They have all the parts required to carry the full refurb so i will give it a go.

thanks again.

Mart