Rear diff leak

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Rear diff leak

Post by Jim »

I have a leak from my diff at the bottom of the diff plate and I am constantly having to torque up the bottom bolt in order to stop it leaking. For some reason it keeps coming loose? This is the bolt with the ratio tag, I was thinking of taking it off and/or putting a spring washer between the bolt and the diff plate? Is this a bad or good idea? Could it be the ratio tag shaking the bolt loose? Thanks in advance guys!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: Rear diff leak

Post by Ghia15 »

If the leak is being caused by the bolt working loose then that is not a big problem.

Might be worth checking the diff cover for holes and changing the gasket while you are at it, This has the added benefit of ensuring most of the oil in the diff is fresh.

I would then use a low strength thread lock on the bolts to hold them in place nice and tight and ensure they are torqued up to the correct load.

You could also put a spring washer on as well, a sort of belt and braces approach.

Hope you get it sorted bud.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I agree, spring washers should reduce the likelihood of the bolts working loose.

Andrew.
Stewb28i
Car(s): 1986 2.8i Special - Back on the road!

Post by Stewb28i »

Have you torqued the bolts or just nipped them up? Reason I ask is it could be simple back off due to low clamping force. At the other end of the scale the bolt could be yielding due to excessive force!

If the gasket has deteriorated then excessive tightening will distort the cover & force the gasket out.

The covers do corrode through - it's not that obvious in all cases & if the hole is above the natural oil level then it will only leak at speed & be more obvious when hot as the oil is thinner.

For price of a gasket & some hypos it's worth pulling the cover off, clean it down & check for pin holes. If it's ok paint it & refit. If not then it'll be a replacement cover.

When you refit a dab of thread lock will ensure it's not a problem in the future.

Had to do mine as it had rotted through - very straightforward if smelly job....I hate the smell of hypoid!

Stew.
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Cover is brand new and gave it a thick coat of hammerite before it was put on, it literally seems to just be this one bolt which the ID tag (the tag does dig into to the bulge on the cover abit) is on that works its way loose slightly. The others haven't really come loose. Torqued the bolts to 45 Nm.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Sounds like a simple fix then.

Get a spring washer as you suggested and a dab of low-medium strength threadlock. Make sure it is not the permanent stuff as if you ever need to remove the cover it will be a pain of a job. Speaking from experience there.

Usually use a stick of locktite from halfords or a bottle of the same, but in liquid form, from my bolts supplier.

All the best
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Ghia15 wrote: Make sure it is not the permanent stuff as if you ever need to remove the cover it will be a pain of a job. Speaking from experience there.
The loctite used to come in different colours; red for just sealing joints but minimal fastening strength,; blue for standard locking where disassembly may be required; green for `permanent` - or at least very strong fixing.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

And isn't it common practice to leave a coloured mark on the bolts which have been secured with loctite?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That would make sense, can`t say I`ve experienced that, but then I have nothing to do with garages so may well be the case Then again, nowadays would you expect a job to be done to that standard, lucky if bolts are not sheared off or missing?
pbar

Post by pbar »

I only said that as some bolts (diff to propshaft for example) have blue marks on my car.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Ah, I think that`s Ford-ese to tell you that they are higher tensile (10.9) than standard bolts. I think, coiuld be wrong?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Weren't the propshaft to differential flange bolts coloured blue originally? As Steve says, to signify that they were higher tensile bolts.
There's a set on Ebay for sale for £14.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I don't think they are coloured blue, but looks to me like they have been marked that way, as in a brush stroke of blue paint. However, from what you guys have said I need to take another look.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:I don't think they are coloured blue, but looks to me like they have been marked that way, as in a brush stroke of blue paint. However, from what you guys have said I need to take another look.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-MK ... -4pTDlreXw
pbar

Post by pbar »

Mine certainly don't look like that (if memory serves) but appear to have a dash of blue. Unless the colour has worn away, will be down on my knees tomorrow hopefully!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yes, they`re only painted with a sort of matt blue, it will have rubbed off probably.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Having had another look I think you're right, just rubbed off leaving a few dabs of blue behind. Thanks to you both. You live and learn, I'm glad I mentioned it now.