2.8i type 9 5Speed layshaft bearing solution

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
markthetart
Car(s): 2.8i special nimbus grey

2.8i type 9 5Speed layshaft bearing solution

Post by markthetart »

Okay guys- here is ONE solution to the common problem - may be the best - who knows?
Anyway;

So, a rumbling/low whine from the box and the box was taking in water from a failed gasket. This led to a stiffer
shift and selection of gears. went down my mates garage and borrowed his ramp.
Box was off 20 mins later (13mm ratchet spanner, 13 & 17mm shallow socklets,13,14,17 and short ext)

took the box down to The Gearbox Centre, Northampton 01604 755230

The news after a full strip was worn/pitted needle rollers and pitted laygear;

So. New/Good used laygear required or have the old one har turned, hard ground and hardened insert sleeve pressed in and fit new bearings.
(£350!) plus £270 to have the box rebuilt with new bearings, seals and gaskets.

AFter speaking with Burtons, seeing their advert for new laygears for £245 they told me they were only for 2.0 boxes.
They gave me the supplier of the 2.0 Sierra/kitcar laygears namely SP Components - 01527 894232
After talking to Steve at SP he said there is a conversion to uprate the common failing laygears to work with a bigger heavy duty
bearing and sleeve that fits in a standard box - the cost of a mint laygear with sleeve and bearing is £125+vat.

Steve at the Gearbox Centre took some pics of the rebuild;

so next day the layfgear was delivered to the Gearbox Centre and the day after the fully rebuilt box was delivered to the Garage.
45 mins of careful re-install and check over and the car is back together and 1.8l of ATF Dextron 3 added

all sorted!!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8i type 9 5Speed layshaft bearing solution

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Thanks for posting a solution to this common problem. It's reassuring to know that the fix isn't all that expensive.

How does the car drive now, is the whine completely gone and the gear selection better?

Andrew.
Stewb28i
Car(s): 1986 2.8i Special - Back on the road!

Post by Stewb28i »

Can't knock that - at least you have the peace of mind it's done properly too.

Did you silicone seal the bell housing to stop the water getting in again?

Stew.
markthetart

Post by markthetart »

car drives smooth, with only a slight drivetrain 'ssssssssssss' you can barely hear but thats with not sound deadening around the housing, and i have got a
rose jointed quickshifter. the gear change is quick, slick and VERY confident.
i didnt silicone the bellhousing as with a properly renuilt box with new gaskets and seals like fresh from the factory - it should last another 20 odd years
before water ingress becomes a problem, but then it would be just a part strip and new gaskets costing only £100 or so.

i hope this answers your questions,
markthetart

Post by markthetart »

car drives smooth, with only a slight drivetrain 'ssssssssssss' you can barely hear but thats with not sound deadening around the housing, and i have got a
rose jointed quickshifter. the gear change is quick, slick and VERY confident.
i didnt silicone the bellhousing as with a properly renuilt box with new gaskets and seals like fresh from the factory - it should last another 20 odd years
before water ingress becomes a problem, but then it would be just a part strip and new gaskets costing only £100 or so.

i hope this answers your questions,