Stalling. And can't change gears when hot!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Stalling. And can't change gears when hot!

Post by capri_sam »

Hi all,

So after four years in a garage my car is finally back on the road and generally running well. I've got a couple of problems though.

The engine (24v cossie boa) cuts out at junctions, meaning i have to ride the throttle. It also occasionally goes lumpy as hell. It's down to the gearbox no longer having a speed sensor and the ECU throwing a strop as a result. I've raised the idle (common fix) but to no avail, do i need to get an after market ecu or is there a simpler fix? I don't mind saving a bit over the winter months to get a proper set up done in spring if that's going to be the best option long term.

Secondly, and more pressing - i can't change gears when the gearbox is warmed up. Will go from gear into neutral, but an absolute nightmare to get it into gear again, and i eventually lose first and second altogether. Gearbox is a standard V6 type 9 and is generally noise free and works well (apart from having to find the 'long way' into reverse). Not sure if it's related, but sometimes it feels like the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging properly. This might just be my imagination though! Clears up after 20 minutes of cooling down but in Manchester traffic it's unuseable.

Cheers,
Sam
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.