exhaust system?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

exhaust system?

Post by 80s kid »

Hi all

I know this has been covered loads in the past but what is the best exhaust system to buy for my capri?

I'm after loud but not chavy sounding lol. I like the sound of the 2" sportex ones but is there a better system out there?

Videos so I can hear your system are welcome :)
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: exhaust system?

Post by 340truck »

All depends on your budget!

Cheap, decent option is Peter Lloyd Rallying. Expensive, custom made stainless. In between the options are many.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

I've been considering replacing my exhaust too. You can use the search function of the forum to find past discussions.

From what I've read Sportex systems are okay, but there are issues with them fouling on the tyres, prop and axle. Otherwise people are happy with them.
I remember reading that a few people were unhappy with the CCI system.
Janspeed do (or did) a stainless version which is supposedly a good fit but nearly twice as expensive as Sportex (inc manifolds).

I'm still unsure. I really don't want the hassle of a badly fitting exhaust, and don't want to spend £700+ on a Janspeed, so I may just try to get hold of mew standard items.

I think the 2" systems are louder than standard to a noticeable degree, and 3" gets loud.

What model is your Capri?, 2.0, 2.8?
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

MattMe wrote:I've been considering replacing my exhaust too. You can use the search function of the forum to find past discussions.

From what I've read Sportex systems are okay, but there are issues with them fouling on the tyres, prop and axle. Otherwise people are happy with them.
I remember reading that a few people were unhappy with the CCI system.
Janspeed do (or did) a stainless version which is supposedly a good fit but nearly twice as expensive as Sportex (inc manifolds).

I'm still unsure. I really don't want the hassle of a badly fitting exhaust, and don't want to spend £700+ on a Janspeed, so I may just try to get hold of mew standard items.

I think the 2" systems are louder than standard to a noticeable degree, and 3" gets loud.

What model is your Capri?, 2.0, 2.8?
got a 2.0 S mate. I've heard the 2 inch sportex on a 2.8 and that sounded good. I'm looking at 250ish quid for ons of those with a manifold. 700 quid is abit silly for an exhaust lol.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

I was talking 2.8 prices (double the pipes!) so maybe a Janspeed for a Pinto will be more sensible.

There was a very recent post, will be on the 2nd if not first page of the forum, where a forum member was having issues fitting a Pinto Sportex.

Have a read up on things before you go spending your money.
Last edited by MattMe on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Nobody seems to sell the Janspeed system for the 2.0 Capri any more.
The exhaust sold by Peter Lloyd, although not mentioned in the listing, looks suspiciously like a Sportex to me. As said previously, Sportex look and sound OK, but don't fit very well without some jiggery-pokery.
Is there anywhere near you that could make a custom stainless exhaust for you?

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

This one looks good if your near Birmingham http://roarpower.co.uk/exhausts_ford/St ... _capri.htm
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I got a 2.0 Janspeed a few years back, from a company called Larkspeed. Might be worth checking out. It sounds pretty good, but it's not loud at all at idle or low revs.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Nobody seems to sell the Janspeed system for the 2.0 Capri any more.
The exhaust sold by Peter Lloyd, although not mentioned in the listing, looks suspiciously like a Sportex to me. As said previously, Sportex look and sound OK, but don't fit very well without some jiggery-pokery.
Is there anywhere near you that could make a custom stainless exhaust for you?

Andrew.
How difficult are they to fit mate?

Tbh I might just pass the mot and then drill a couple of holes in the old exhaust lol
stubacca
Car(s): 1984 Ford Capri LS

Post by stubacca »

80s kid wrote: How difficult are they to fit mate?

Tbh I might just pass the mot and then drill a couple of holes in the old exhaust lol
To throw my two pennies in, the fit of the sportex is pretty poor, when I first fitted mine up, the natural position of the tail pipe was aiming at the ground about a foot away from the rear valance - and looked shocking.

It took a lot (and I mean a lot) of buggering around and making different rear brackets as well as different combinations of centre box brackets to get it close to the car and pointing in the right direction.

I read up a lot about fitting these before I got mine, and many people seem to have trouble with the centre pipe dropping over time, or not being able to get high enough. Getting this part close to the body didn't seem to be an issue for me, but I can't comment on the dropping over time, as my car isn't on the road...yet.

In short, if your a perfectionist, this exhaust might just drive you crazy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stubacca wrote:It took a lot (and I mean a lot) of buggering around
Hi,
Unfortunately, that seems to be most people's experience of fitting Sportex.
Don't get me wrong, they are reasonably priced and they look and sound great once fitted correctly, however, it's getting to that point that's the issue.

Andrew.
scottman1962
Car(s): Ford mk3ls 1600l

Post by scottman1962 »

I fitted a sportex system i couple off weeks ago without any issues, must have been lucky with the fitting