jobs while lower dash pedal cover off

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

jobs while lower dash pedal cover off

Post by Jim »

I've currently got the lower dash/black kick plate/pedal cover thing off and would like to do as many jobs under the dash/pedal box while it is off. What sort of jobs should I do while its off - cleaning, lubing, tightening, checking wise? Thanks in advance guys!
Stewb28i
Car(s): 1986 2.8i Special - Back on the road!

Re: jobs while lower dash pedal cover off

Post by Stewb28i »

Urm...not a lot under there to be honest...doesn't take too long to get back off should the need arise.

Could spray some 'dry slide' type lubricant over the pedal pivots & where the clutch cable attaches to the pedal...

Stew.
Jim

Post by Jim »

That's cool so I'll just spray a load of silicon spray up there at the moving bits. My pedal cover is quite split and worried that the more I take it off the more damaged it is going to get so the less times a take it off the better.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jim wrote:My pedal cover is quite split and worried that the more I take it off the more damaged it is going to get so the less times a take it off the better.
Hi,
Very sensible. That piece of trim is extremely fragile and it won't take much to break it.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Jim wrote:My pedal cover is quite split and worried that the more I take it off the more damaged it is going to get
While it`s off why not stick some thin cardboard or plastic on the back to reinforce/hold it all together?
Laser
Car(s): Daily Driver 1.6 Laser (247,00miles)
or 2.0S when I can find her key's !

Post by Laser »

One of ours I used one of those Glue guns to make good some of the spilts and cracks from behind it sort of welded that fibre matting to the remains and gave it back a bit of strength .
Jim

Post by Jim »

I've super glued the majority of the cracks that I can see, problem with the cardboard and that is that I have a load of sound deadening stuff on the back of it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Also, does anyone know where I can get some black plastic similar or the same as that of the pedal cover as I have some small junks missing off mine.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

I actually got hold of one of these parts to fit on mine once it's back together. I believe a lot of people just remove them.
I'm curious as to how they fit correctly. There's a couple screw holes where it'll mount to the dash plastic under the steering wheel section I image, then at the back, toward the pedals, there doesn't appear to be anything to hold it in place.

Am I missing something?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim wrote:My pedal cover is quite split and worried that the more I take it off the more damaged it is going to get so the less times a take it off the better.
I think that most are very brittle by now Jim. You can get a new replacement though, the Capri Club sell it. I have no first hand experience of it though.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MattMe wrote:I'm curious as to how they fit correctly. There's a couple screw holes where it'll mount to the dash plastic under the steering wheel section I image, then at the back, toward the pedals, there doesn't appear to be anything to hold it in place.

Am I missing something?
Hi,
There should be some slots in the pedal cover that the tabs fixed to the floor locate into.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:You can get a new replacement though, the Capri Club sell it. I have no first hand experience of it though.
Hi,
I haven't got any first-hand experience of the CCI replica item, however, Dave (Hollyoak) bought one and was not impressed.

Andrew.