BMW E30 headlamps

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Fox
Car(s): Ford Capri MKIII Laser 1.6 (First car, daily driver)

BMW E30 headlamps

Post by Fox »

Right so I know this topic has come up abit on this forum but I'm still confused by one thing... :banghead:

Can I just get any headlamp unit from any year for a BMW E30 and fit it into where my lamps are now at the moment?

I've read all the threads on here about how to install them so I know I'll have to enlarge the hole about 3mm to allow me to adjust the E30 lamps and how to wire them. I know there not everyone's cup of tea but hey it's my Capri and I like the mean evil look they give.

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: BMW E30 headlamps

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fox wrote:Can I just get any headlamp unit from any year for a BMW E30 and fit it into where my lamps are now at the moment?
Hi Jack,
All E30 lights are the same. However, I'm led to believe that E34 lights fit just as well and can be obtained easier and for less money.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-e34-front ... Sw0HVWA9LU
The BMW light upgrade is worthwhile, as it will dramatically improve night-time visibility.

Andrew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:However, I'm led to believe that E34 lights fit just as well and can be obtained easier and for less money.
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew but do those lights have the angle or halo lights like this below?

Believe this car is a members car called "Mellow-Yellow"

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fox wrote:Thanks Andrew but do those lights have the angle or halo lights like this below?
Hi Jack,
No, I don't believe that they do. Sorry, I did not realise that angel eyes were a necessity.

Ian (mellow-yellow) isn't often on this forum, I think he can be found on Capripower.
He's a nice chap, you could always send him a PM on here or on Capripower to ask any questions about fitting the lights, although I'm sure that he's posted the information somewhere. You've probably already read it if you've researched the subject and found the photo above.

All the best,
Andrew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Yeah Andrew is be read his thread but I just want to know if all E30 lights are the same or is it a specific year that fit the Capri?

Thanks?
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fox wrote:Yeah Andrew is be read his thread but I just want to know if all E30 lights are the same or is it a specific year that fit the Capri?
Hi Jack,
Sorry, I don't know about that. We've reached the limit of my knowledge on this subject!
If you search for angel eye headlights on Ebay, the listings say that they will fit all models of E30. Therefore, the chances are that any year of E30 lights will fit the Capri.

Also, bear in mind that the E30 was never fitted with angel eyes as standard, so all light units will be aftermarket and will vary in quality.

All the best,
Andrew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Also, bear in mind that the E30 was never fitted with angel eyes as standard, so all light units will be aftermarket and will vary in quality.

All the best,
Andrew.
I didn't know that actually cheers Andrew you've helped me a lot on other posts... :cool:

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Fox

Time for wiring and anxiety...

Post by Fox »

Hey guys I have all the lights done, just need to wire them up but I don't have a clue on how to do this...

I have 3 red and 3 black wires on each unit (a unit being the left side and right side lights) so the angel lights have a pair, dipped beams have a pair and full beams have a pair...

Now the Capri head light wires had there plugs removed when I got the car so there is no plugs just wires... I have a 3 brown wires which all go back to 1 brown wire about 6 inches back on the wire, a yellow, a white, a grey (grey with red strip on driver side and grey with black strip on passenger side) So far I got the multi-meter out and I know that white is full beams when I push the indicator forward. yellow and grey tho both give me 12 volts when I have the lights on dipped (one click up on stork) but should it not be dipped (one click up) (angel eyes) is grey and then the next one after dipped (two clicks) is yellow and then full beams (White wire, indicator pushed forwrad)

I really need help on this one as this car is honestly the only thing keeping my anxiety and depression at under control and its really starting to get to me that I cant get something like these lights working... :banghead:

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

When you say both wires give 12v on dipped, how many times do you push the stalk up.

The side lights only should be one click up on the stalk so only the grey wire, if my memory serves me correctly, should be giving 12v.

When you push the stalk all the way up then both wires should both give a 12v reading as both the side light and dipped beam light will be on at this point.

As you have already identified the high or full beam light that is good.

If you are getting 12v on both side light and dipped beam when the stalk is set to sidelights only then that suggests there is a short in the wiring somewhere and that the two wires have somehow become linked. Trace all the modification to the wires you have done to check they are separate.

The power for the sidelights and the main and dipped beam come from slightly different places on the loom, the main and dipped beam come from the separate fuse box on the bulkhead just above the engine.

Check those fuses to ensure all is well, first thing I always check with headlight problems.

Could you also post up some photos of the wiring between the capri loom and the BMW headlights?

All the best buddy, these trying times make the enjoyment all the better when you get it sorted.
Stewb28i
Car(s): 1986 2.8i Special - Back on the road!

Post by Stewb28i »

:agree:

Brown = ground (negative)

Grey = Sidelights (+12v)

Yellow = Dipped Beam (+12v)

White = Main Beam (+12v : dipped stays on when headlamps switched to main - column stalk forward) only main supply is energised during flash - column stalk pulled towards steering wheel, non latching).

Not sure how you intend to deal with the halos. Could use them as DRLs I guess...depends how picky your mot tester is I guess.

Stew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Stewb28i wrote::agree:

Brown = ground (negative)

Grey = Sidelights (+12v)

Yellow = Dipped Beam (+12v)

White = Main Beam (+12v : dipped stays on when headlamps switched to main - column stalk forward) only main supply is energised during flash - column stalk pulled towards steering wheel, non latching).

Not sure how you intend to deal with the halos. Could use them as DRLs I guess...depends how picky your mot tester is I guess.

Stew.
Yeah I figured that out during the week but the odd thing is when I turn on my the halos (first click up) my dipped come on to so power is going to yellow to...

Ill put up some pictures later...

Cheers,
Fox (Jack)
Fox

Post by Fox »

Right bit of a update... Dads friend is coming down later he's a mechanic so he should be able to sort it for me since I'm working all week and only have one day off so i won't have time to sort it... I would like to actually drive the car instead of working on it this week...

Ill put up a full write up on how to do this mod during the week as I'm planning on making a thread on Restoring my Capri and making it mine...

Thanks,
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Jack,
If the connecting plugs at the back of the headlights are missing, has the wiring of the lights been tampered with? Hopefully your Dad's friend will make sense of it.

I look forward to reading your project thread. The BMW light conversion is not something I'd do myself, but there are plenty of people who ask about it from time to time, it would help them out.

Where did you get the light units from?

All the best,
Andrew.
Stewb28i

Post by Stewb28i »

Last edited by Stewb28i on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewb28i

Post by Stewb28i »

Is it 12v you have at the yellow? If yours is a late one then you could have dim dip which is designed to do just that - well actually the voltage would be lower under load but open circuit you'll measure 12v). There is a relay on the bulkhead (heater plenum) & a resistor in the slam panel cover. The later D reg & E regd cars had it (around Mid '86 build onwards).

Stew.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Where did you get the light units from?
Andrew.
:ebay:

hehe well see I was clever, since I was hacking up the houseing that the BMW lights came in it was cheaper to buy two left lights from in.pro (there the ones I believe were used in mellows car...) They were working out for nearly €300 excluding shipping to Ireland and that's on the cheap end of the scale... The lights below cost me €100 including shipping...

Here's a link: http://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/191213379441

And Andrew you've helped me a lot by the way on this fourm so thank you so much :beer:
Stewb28i wrote: The later D reg & E regd cars had it (around Mid '86 build onwards).
Stew.
Ah I never knew that I thought a MK3 was a MK3 so my 87 may be different in some ways to say a 83 MK3?

Cheers,
Fox (Jack)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fox wrote:And Andrew you've helped me a lot by the way on this fourm so thank you so much :beer:
Hi,
That's massaged my ego, thanks very much! :D
That's what makes this forum great, it's full of people who know the Capri inside out and are willing to share their wisdom and knowledge.

All the best,
Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Fox wrote: thought a MK3 was a MK3 so my 87 may be different in some ways to say a 83 MK3?
Apparently there are subtle differences, such as the early ones had the lock as part of the door handle but later ones have the lock separate below the handle. Also the very last ones had the dim-dip, where the low beam is fed through a resistor (so glows) when the car`s driven on sidelights.
Stewb28i

Post by Stewb28i »

Lots of detail spec differences throughout the years, bear in mind that the mk3 ran from '78 through to dec '86 (end of production - no cars were built in 1987) so had lots of derivatives & supplier changes. The rationalisation when the Lasers were launched marked the biggest change point but dim dip was a legislative requirement which was applied across the range for '87MY which generally means anytime July '86 onwards.

Stew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Stewb28i wrote:Lots of detail spec differences throughout the years
Yes, but are all the parts interchangable between early and late cars? With the exception of the ones Steve mentioned and the tailgate struts, I think they are.

Andrew.