Stupid Radio Replacement Question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk3 2.8 injection
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Stupid Radio Replacement Question

Post by MattMe »

Hi.

This is likely a stupid question, but I have searched and didn't find the details I was looking for.

When fitting an after market headunit into a Mk3 dash, do you need the stard 'cage' fitting? Does any have any pictures of their installs? It's been years since I dealt with any ICE(!) and can't remember the first thing about it.
Mine currently appears to be resting very loosely into the bracket at the rear of the headunit, and propped up at the front by the dash fascia. I'm guessing that the cage should be installed into the metal fram of the dash behind the fascia?

Just checking before I start ordering stuff.

Also, any details on what type (size) speakers fit in the standard front and rear mounts would be great :)

Thanks!
Matt.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Re: Stupid Radio Replacement Question

Post by MattMe »

I alrady foun (after a little more searching) that the rears are 10cm and the fronts 4x6.

The Alipne SPG-10C2 are supposedly good 10cm rear replacements. The tweeters appear to stick out a little though, not sure if they definitely would fit.
The Alpine options in 4x6 don't look as great. Anyone have any reviews to share? Only using a standard 50w x4 headunit, nothing special.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I found the fitting depth to be a bit of an issue with the front door speakers ........make sure you have clearance when the windows are down , I had to shop around a bit for "shallow" speakers , otherwise when I shut the door with the window down the glass hits the speaker magnet , and rubs against it the rest of the time the window is right down
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

MattMe wrote:I alrady foun (after a little more searching) that the rears are 10cm and the fronts 4x6.

The Alipne SPG-10C2 are supposedly good 10cm rear replacements. The tweeters appear to stick out a little though, not sure if they definitely would fit.
The Alpine options in 4x6 don't look as great. Anyone have any reviews to share? Only using a standard 50w x4 headunit, nothing special.
Hi Matt,
The Alpines in the rear need longer screws and some washers to drop them slightly and give some clearance from the grills.
Let us know how you get on with the fronts as I need to change mine next.

All the best
Neil
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Thanks guys.

I'll probably just remove the standard ones and measure them before buying anything new.

Cheers.
Matt.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If you do need to drop the speakers for clearance, you will also need to make some kind of thick `gasket` to fill the gap between the speaker and the shelf it`s mounted on. They won`t work well if air can get from one side of cone to the other, the shelf they`re mounted on is effectively the speakers baffle, without it you`ll lose all bass. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

stevemarl wrote:If you do need to drop the speakers for clearance, you will also need to make some kind of thick `gasket` to fill the gap between the speaker and the shelf it`s mounted on. They won`t work well if air can get from one side of cone to the other, the shelf they`re mounted on is effectively the speakers baffle, without it you`ll lose all bass. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure
Never knew that air getting in the side of a cone would affect the sound before!

Thanks!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If you buy 6x4 speakers for the front and intend to fit them behind the original grilles, try to buy ones that have thin metal mounting lugs that the screws go through. Otherwise, you'll have difficulty refitting the grille in position. Also, if the centre tweeters must not protrude too far for the same reason.
I've got pioneer in mine, but they must be old ones as they have the card-type cone in the centre. They still sound OK though, so they're staying!

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

stevemarl wrote:If you do need to drop the speakers for clearance, you will also need to make some kind of thick `gasket` to fill the gap between the speaker and the shelf it`s mounted on. They won`t work well if air can get from one side of cone to the other, the shelf they`re mounted on is effectively the speakers baffle, without it you`ll lose all bass. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker_enclosure
Good point Steve. I'd better do that to mine :oops:
markthetart
Car(s): 2.8i special nimbus grey

Post by markthetart »

Well THANK GOD!!! there is someone else who ditched the Tandy £4.99 transistor sounding period 'Stereo' they call SRT32 or whatever it is
(still got mine - mint, full working order - might Ebay it one day!

......and got a PROPER stereo!!!!! - Bump-Bump-Bump!

Surely - unles youve got a Concourse Car then Upgrade!!!
when ur cruisin round you need SOUNDS!

With a proper Car! its SOOOOO good to turn up your favourite tracks and WOW!! FEEL the bass resonance. Youd be amazed at the difference

Anyway - you dont need to spent lots of money

Kenwood ipod usb Head unit £120 (SOME incl. mine has spectrum illumination - can get EXACT matching colour of origonal dashlights
Kicker 6x4 EXACT factory replacements £40
Kicker Rears on new CCI Shelf £65
Kicker SUB in custom Box £120
FLI 900w AMP (drives rears and sub)
AMP kit £25

AFter (Ouch) cutting DIN E hole in fascia, mine has a short cage (3" or so) fit an adaptor loom and it should fit snug.
There is a slight gascia gap of about 2mm but its not noticeable. where you look at the square aperture around the heater controls the fascia is not exactrly square on- its as if the top of the fascia is a little more forward an you can see a gap - but have noticed this gap on CONCOURSE models that have the original radio . the unit IS moveable with a reasonable tug but if everything is LOCKED DOWN and tight then youll find the FRAM trim of the new stereo will keep popping off!

if you want to spend real money then check THIS guys setup out!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

i missed out a pic of sub will post later
Last edited by markthetart on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Thanks for that, Markthetart!

Looks like you have a great setup there.
Personally I'd like to keep mine minimal and hidden from view completely. Hence wanting to fit behind the original grilles.

I've ordered:
Vibe Slick 4 (v5) - 50w RMS
JBL GX642 - 40w RMS
Headunit will be a Kenwood KDC-W7544U which is 50w x 4. I chose this because I found one cheap and has rear inputs for USB and 3.5mm aux.
I've also ordered a flush mount USB and 3.5mm audio jack that I plan to mount in the cubby hole under the arm rest. Not measured to see if it'll fit yet. That'll allow me to charge and play music through pretty much any device and keep it hidden away at the same time.

I chose the speakers based on RMS (not many these size have such high RMS) and the measurements I've taken of the existing standard setup. The 10cm rear are pretty standard and easy to find a suitable fit. The front 4x6 is more difficult because of the distance fron the front mount to the back of the grille, and the rear compartment to the window when wound all the way down.

If any one wants the rough measurements I took they are here:
Front 4x6:
Standard speaker depth - 31mm
Standard rear cover of speaker has around 6mm of additional space. (I will be cutting this out to allow more space for the magnet of the replacements.)
Depth from door card to window depends on how hard I press! It ranged from 47mm to 55mm.
Clearance of grille above the clips the grille attaches too approx. 6mm in the centre.

Rear:
Mounting lugs from mount to grille holes 12mm. (Plenty of room for most protruding tweeters)
Mine had around 5mm of foam on top of the speaker. It would not have touched the grille.
Entire depth from speaker foam to bottom of plastic shroud is around 53mm. About 47mm for the shroud alone.
Overall diameter of standard speaker 114mm.

Hopefully this will help someone, because I couldn't find this info anywhere when I searched.

Seems most 4x6 speakers available that don't have massive tweeters sticking out are around 47mm mounting depth. It's tight from my measurements. If they don't fit I'll return them and get something that comes with it's own grille and just have to fit them instead.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Matt,

Here is a Pic of My Install I did some time ago, looks just like the old P21 Push Button Radio from the old days of Ford... It's a totally modern head, USB, 3.5mm Jacks, Radio etc... Sounds really nice, but not as good as the other unit pictured I guess!!! I went to a local ICE center and got some Speakers to fit the original grills with no issues now.

Its a Retrosound unit I got from Moss UK off E'Bay!!! I'm very happy with this, it controls the Electric Arial, different Illumination Colour's, I've set mine to Green to match the Dash. It has a Full display of Music being played from a Flash Drive and has full control over this too. you can view Albums, Tracks, mix etc... It requires NO cutting of the Rare Dash Fascia and you just need to shape the Cover Plate to suit the top curve.

Well, that's my Pic's, all the best for your install, cheers,

John...

P.S. You can even buy a Clear plastic sheet which just clings to the Display, which has a picture of the old style Radio tuner, so it looks even older and less tempting!!!
markthetart
Car(s): 2.8i special nimbus grey

Post by markthetart »

the kickers in the front are an exact factory replacement but super quality.
just remove the old speaker and connect and screw inthe new one!
i think other manufacturers also make this direct replacement

i like the idea of everything hidden.
i have usb/ipod on front face of head unit and i use my iphone as source.
i MUST ADMIT - and its taken me 2 years to realise - windscreen mounts for phone/ipod with a lead
going into front of sterreo look ok in modern cars with DEEP dashboard surfaces
but on the capri i dont want anything above dashboard height! - it spoils something???
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Hi John,

Cheers for that.

Your setup looks really tidy. Thanks for sharing :)

I'd seen the exact same unit on eBay and was quite tempted to do the same, however I'm a bit of a CD collector so wanted to be able to listen to them in the car too. :geek: Otherwise I think I'd have gone that route. It does look as though it's original.
I'm actually a little bit jealous...

Do you happen to know what speakers the ICE place installed for you?

Thanks again,

Matt.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

markthetart wrote:the kickers in the front are an exact factory replacement but super quality.
just remove the old speaker and connect and screw inthe new one!
i think other manufacturers also make this direct replacement

i like the idea of everything hidden.
i have usb/ipod on front face of head unit and i use my iphone as source.
i MUST ADMIT - and its taken me 2 years to realise - windscreen mounts for phone/ipod with a lead
going into front of sterreo look ok in modern cars with DEEP dashboard surfaces
but on the capri i dont want anything above dashboard height! - it spoils something???
I'll give Kickers a go if I can't get the JBL units to fit.
Any idea what model the Kickers are, or what the RMS they are?

Yeah I really don't want to have to hang my phone from the screen. I think the windscreen's small enough without having part of it taken up with a phone, and I'm a bit OCD about having cables trailing through my car, connected to headunits and stuff.

I have to say John's setup (above) is making me reconsider purchasing the Kenwood now...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

MattMe wrote:I'm a bit of a CD collector so wanted to be able to listen to them in the car too.
Me too Matt, John's set up looks really great but they don't seem to do those with a CD also, not that I've seen anyway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MattMe wrote:I'm a bit of a CD collector so wanted to be able to listen to them in the car too. :geek:
Hi,
Why not transfer the CDs onto an MP3 player or a phone? You will then be able to arrange the songs into folders and play them in exactly the same way that you can with CDs. The advantage is that, in effect, you can have hundreds of CDs at your disposal at any one time.
For me, that's the key. If I go on a long journey in my Toyota, I might take 10 CDs with me. With the MP3 player I have my entire CD collection at my fingertips.

By way of reference, a 32GB card has the space for roughly 8300 songs, or 691 albums at an average of 12 songs per album. You could even put the songs onto the card without compressing them if you want to maintain the original quality.

Personally I prefer the convenience of this method instead of messing about with CDs, but it's horses for courses.

Andrew.
MattMe
Donator
Donator
Previously owned:
Facelift Mk1 V8
Mk3 2.0 Laser
Mk3 2.8i

Post by MattMe »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
MattMe wrote:I'm a bit of a CD collector so wanted to be able to listen to them in the car too. :geek:
Hi,
Why not transfer the CDs onto an MP3 player or a phone? You will then be able to arrange the songs into folders and play them in exactly the same way that you can with CDs. The advantage is that, in effect, you can have hundreds of CDs at your disposal at any one time.
For me, that's the key. If I go on a long journey in my Toyota, I might take 10 CDs with me. With the MP3 player I have my entire CD collection at my fingertips.

By way of reference, a 32GB card has the space for roughly 8300 songs, or 691 albums at an average of 12 songs per album. You could even put the songs onto the card without compressing them if you want to maintain the original quality.

Personally I prefer the convenience of this method instead of messing about with CDs, but it's horses for courses.

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,

Oh I know I'm being backwards, I'm a massive tech geek as well as a CD geek. I had an MP3 player way back when, and I still rip all my CDs to MP3s. I have a NAS that I can access over the internet so I can stream them all from my mobile too...
I just like CDs. I may never use it in honesty, I just didn't like the thought of not having a CD player in the car. It made me feel uncomfortable. :lol:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

MattMe wrote: I just like CDs.
And again, me too! When you have several hundred CD's, it's too much of a faff to rip to MP3 when you fancy playing one. Far easier to quickly grab the CD on your way to the car, put it on, drive off and enjoy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MattMe wrote: I may never use it in honesty, I just didn't like the thought of not having a CD player in the car. It made me feel uncomfortable. :lol:
As I said, horses for courses....
I simply offer suggestions or alternative options and leave it for the person to decide.

Andrew.