Struggling on WOT

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
S_ully
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 (Restoration Project) & Audi A5 (Daily Driver)

Struggling on WOT

Post by S_ully »

Hi There,

A Capri owner for less than a week, bought a resto project, but just getting familiar with it myself at the moment before getting stuck in, will get some pics up soon. It's a 1983 2.0 standard with no mods.

So the issue is, it's running well, starts with out any drama and idles well, if you slowly progress the throttle it revs through the range well, (under load or unloaded) the issue is when you go hard on throttle it struggles to catch up, almost ont he verge of stalling but doesn't, and backing off the trottle it catches up.

It's got the 32/36 DGAV, which I have ordered a rebuild kit for it but any ideas in advance of this, changed plugs and checked leads and seem to be working well, plugs don't show any sign of something wrong on their end....

Any ideas appreciated!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Struggling on WOT

Post by Peter-S »

I'd start with a basic service. You've done plugs but I'd do leads, rotor, cap, points and fuel filter. An oil change wouldn't go amiss. Then check the timing using a strobe. Remember, if you are using standard unleaded without an additive, you need to retard the ignition timing a little to allow for the lower octane fuel.
Once you've done all this see how it goes.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

Thanks Peter, yes a service is on the cards, got oil and filter today so will try to pick up Leads and few other bits and give it a thorough look over at the weekend and then I'll see how she's running.

Hopefully tackle the carb the following then once kit arrives.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Maybe check that the accelerator pump is working properly , and if your carb has the anti stall device make sure that is ok too as it gets its feed from the same port as the accelerator pump diaphragm , check the secondary choke main jet is not blocked. Another possibility is a vacuum leak , and this may not affect idle/starting when cold as the choke can mask this a bit .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Emz
Car(s): 1986 D reg 2.8i

Post by Emz »

Hi there,

Sounds like it could be just a flat spot due to a weak idle mixture, which is pretty easy to check. You could have a garage check this for you on their emissions tester. I used to run my 1.6 laser on 1.8-2% CO at idle on a 32/36 DGV (Manual choke equivalent).

If the plugs were a good brown colour when you removed them this should be fine, but if they were black or white on the electrodes this is definitely a mixture issue.

However, go through, check points are good, set the gap and dwell angle, replace plug leads, rotor arm and cap, and air filter. Check the timing, then set the idle speed to the correct value. Once all that's done, have a look at the mixture.

Best of luck,
Matt
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Accelerator pump jets would also be my suspicion. They enrich the mixture quickly as you floor it to match the sharp rise in air intake.
Click photo below for details:
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

Thanks Guys, so definitely on my list and ordered is the few bits mentioned above.

Will have a look at the Accelerator pump tonight along with the Jets and see how it is, might leave opening Carb until repair kit arrives as knowing me, i'd say the gaskets may fall apart if opened!

Nige - from your link - did this last night when having a look

The larger brass screw standing proud of the top face with two down-angled alloy arms pointing into the choke inlets is the Accelerator Pump Jet assembly. If you have a flat-spot when you floor it then with engine off, air filter removed, check that both of these squirt a jet of fuel down the carbs when you twist the throttle linkage to open the butterflies (the round throttle flaps at the base of the carb)

There was definitely fuel flow, but my torch wasn't great, might have another look later...
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

So had another look and fuel filter was in bad need of a clean (replacement kit on the way) had a look at the accelerator pump jets and below is before and after!

Is it correct for one to be larger than other?

Must say its 100 times better no struggle on WOT, didn't test under load but it was doing it under both, now no hesitation! So big thanks there!

Must say I did notice a few more bits to add to the list of to do's, including a gearbox leak somewhere from the back... Without being under it tonight can't pinpoint just yet! The joys do one job and find 5 more!!
Joshy
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0

Post by Joshy »

S_ully wrote: Must say I did notice a few more bits to add to the list of to do's, including a gearbox leak somewhere from the back... Without being under it tonight can't pinpoint just yet! The joys do one job and find 5 more!!
It may well be the top cover in the gear box, the gasket costs pennies but the bolts holding the cover on were loose when my gearbox was leaking. Definitely a gearbox out of the car jobby so might as well do a new clutch and spigot bearing while you are at it!
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

A full strip down is on the cards eventually, will get under her and see exactly what's the cause and decide next steps then, hopefully it'll wait another while as its down the priority list... Will keep it topped up and an eye on it...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Re the gearbox leak , while any leak is not great .......... My rear ( prop shaft ) seal leaks a bit , there is always a drip ready to fall , and when I towed a trailer 1500 miles there was specks of gearbox oil on the trailer :shock: , so , in a bit of a panic I stopped at a remote garage ( Fox Glacier , west coast NZ ) to top up the oil but in spite of what looked like a bit of oil on the trailer the gear box was full enough for oil to come out the level/fill plug when removed . The top cover bolts can be tweeked up with the gearbox in sutu , the box also leaks from the speedo drive and the cap opposite the drive. Actually fixing the leaks is a pain so , top up the box via the fill/level hole , drive round for a bit ( actual amount depends on one's level of paranoia :xd: ) and then check it again and you may decide that there is nothing to panic about till the car needs further work in the future.........same for the diff :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

Jacked it up and had a look so its out of the speedo cable hole alright, not leaking too much only when jacked up it leaked more, will try a temp fix until I get the box out and top it up...

Will be fine as the most driving it does is a 1km round trip to see how she is if I've changed something! So will just keep it topped up for now.

Must dip it and see how far down below fill hole she is actually.

Got leads, points, rotor etc so planning that and an oil change tomorrow...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

S_ully wrote:Jacked it up and had a look so its out of the speedo cable hole alright, not leaking too much only when jacked up it leaked more, will try a temp fix until I get the box out and top it up
Hi,
A new speedo drive oil seal is cheap enough to buy.
http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-fit ... t9703.html

All the best,
Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It states 'stock overdue' at Burton though, so not sure if they have any at this time.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
That's not difficult to overcome, the whole type 9 oil seal kit can be bought for £8.

http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/Ford-Type- ... it/130.htm

Some people can only find problems, others find solutions! :)

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

By the way, just to be clear, WOT= Wide Open Throttle?

Andrew.
S_ully

Post by S_ully »

Thanks for the links will order one of them too now!

And yup correct Andrew!
pbar

Post by pbar »

You can get them from various places, you'll be ok :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

S_ully wrote:...had a look at the accelerator pump jets and below is before and after!

Is it correct for one to be larger than other?
Just so you are aware, you only get a squirt of fuel from one side, and not both.