type 9 gearbox grinding into reverse?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jamezz666
Car(s): 1982 2.0 calypso

type 9 gearbox grinding into reverse?

Post by jamezz666 »

hi guys,

my type 9 on my 2.0 pinto is grinding like i'm not even using the clutch in reverse? what causes this and best cause of action to take?

cheers
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: type 9 gearbox grinding into reverse?

Post by stevemarl »

Can only be that the clutch disc is either sticking to the flywheel due to contamination, or it`s not adjusted correctly and so not releasing fully (there`s no synchro on reverse, so if the teeth are moving they won`t engage). I`d check the adjustment as a first step. Nothing wrong with the gearbox, but I`d stop the engine to put in reverse while you get it sorted as it won`t do the teeth any good.
jamezz666
Car(s): 1982 2.0 calypso

Post by jamezz666 »

ok thank you for the reply and how would i adjust it?
The clutch does bite rather high, but doesn't slip.

thanks
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I'm sure that Steve will give a better reply, but there is info on clutch adjustment from this site's very own service/jobs page, here -

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/page107.html
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Cheers Paul, saved me the trouble!!!
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Sorry to tag onto your topic but it is sort of linked, My type 9 is harder to get in gear when car is run from cold, after a couple of miles all is quite smooth, is this a synchro problem starting or oil viscosity problem as it is thinner when warmer
pbar

Post by pbar »

Hi Mark. To me that definitely sounds like it may be worth looking at the oil. Take a look at this info from this site's very own how to section, specifically mentions cold gear changing -

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/page94.html
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

jamezz666 wrote:hi guys,

my type 9 on my 2.0 pinto is grinding like i'm not even using the clutch in reverse? what causes this and best cause of action to take?

cheers
I have the same problem with mine...I think its because the clutch is on its last legs. However I have found that if you select first gear before you put it into reverse that will stop it grinding.

Just give it a try , it works for me so it might work for you. Cheers Alex
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

You do know your sposed to stop going forwards 1st :xd: , my :swear: Mrs seems to think reverse is some sort of auxillary parking brake :banghead:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

caprikid61 wrote:
I have the same problem with mine...
See the post above yours Alex.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

caprikid61 wrote:.I think its because the clutch is on its last legs. However I have found that if you select first gear before you put it into reverse that will stop it grinding.
That does sound like the plate`s sticking. When you put it in 1st first, it`s making the disc `stand still` and it will then go into reverse.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

I can't really add anything to this re the clutch - that seems to be what was causing your problems. Regarding gearbox fluid, buy a cheap oil suction pump with a long flexible hose, and get as much into the 'box as you can, and suck the old stuff out. If you poke at different angles you keep getting more and more out each attempt. I can get all but the last quarter of a pint out that way. You'll find the old oil is really black, thick, gloopy and generally nasty.

Now for the re-fill... Some people recommend filling a manual box with ATF to ease cold shifting, however what I can tell you is this: It's a manual transmission, which Ford originally specified conventional gear-oil for... and it was filled with conventional gear oil from new and ran perfectly for 30 years and tens of thousands of miles on it. New manual gearbox oil will improve it like you wouldn't believe it. I just bung Castrol Universal 75w/90 GL4/GL5 in everything - the gearbox, diff... it works wonders and encompasses the original viscosity range Ford specified. Half the people claiming such a big improvement with ATF are probably seeing more of an improvement from the fact they're simply using fresh oil.

There is no special procedure for refilling the box - just pour in through the hole you sucked it out from, and when it starts p*ssing out, you've got enough in. Some people even try to overfill their gearboxes by having the car on a slant. I can't recommend it, but several people swear by it. Just make sure it's topped up to the fill hole.

FYI the fill plugs on the diff and gearbox use a weird key - one's square, the other's triangular or hex or something, I can't remember. Have a look and get the correct socket from any motorfactors.

Last but not least, don't put additives in the oil. I put some Wynns/STP/whatever goo in my gearbox and it actually caused an "old bus" or "mini" type of whine until I sucked out the oil and replaced with fresh.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Whenever I replace a box I always use ATF and I always slightly overfill it.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

Ignore everything I just said. If Martin says ATF is OK I'm putting it in next time the mood takes me to change it.

Any particular flavour of ATF? Just the bog-standard stuff you'd put in the C3 transmission?
pbar

Post by pbar »

jackinthegreen wrote:
FYI the fill plugs on the diff and gearbox use a weird key - one's square, the other's triangular or hex or something...
I can't remember which way round either, but one is square and one is hex. I bought the 'keys' from my local car shop. However, for the square one you can just use a 3/8" socket wrench.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
Square hole for the axle, hex for the gearbox.

Andrew.