Speedo ratio question (also cossie rev counter question)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Speedo ratio question (also cossie rev counter question)

Post by capri_sam »

Trying to get my speedometer to read right after many years, so to make sure I'm searching for all the right parts...

Am i right in thinking that to get an accurate speedo reading on a 2.8 type 9 running through a 1.6 back axle, I'll need the standard gearbox speedo worm, and a 24 tooth cog?

Seperately, is there a way of connecting the rev counter wire from a cosworth BOA loom to a standard capri v6 dash? I know only the clocks from the special will usually wire in directly as a straight connection, but how do i know which my clocks are?

If they are the wrong ones, is there any way of getting it to work? I'd rather use what I've got, if it's an easy mod.

Ta!

Sam
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Re: Speedo ratio question (also cossie rev counter question)

Post by r2vdh »

There is a way of getting the original v6 tacho to work but as your using wasted spark system you will need to replicate 6 pulses per revo your current setup will put out 3 pulses so if you connected your ECU tacho it will be half the Revs.
Theres a cheap way and an expensive way.

Tacho Driver
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Acc ... tions.aspx

or Retro fit your own rev gauge.

If your doing that you could also fit a an aftermarket speed gauge or GPS gauge.