Advice wanted on Spring / Damper Combos.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Joshy
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0

Advice wanted on Spring / Damper Combos.

Post by Joshy »

Hi all,

Long time no post, hope you are all well!

After finishing work early I eagerly drove home hoping to make the most of the good weather and finally swap my TCA's with some new ones with poly bushes. After jacking up the car and removing the wheel, I was greeted by this:

Looks like I am going to be needing some fresh springs!

I was looking at replacing the spring, damper, TCA and Tie Rod Ends in one go just because it's only one (bigger) job, and only one trip to the wheel alignment man.

The question is: Would -1" 145lb Springs with Gaz adjustable inserts be suitable for every day road use, or can I get away with standard replacement dampers? I don't hammer the car or go to track days so I'm wondering if the adjustable dampers are overkill?

Also, is there a way to separate the brake line from the tab on the strut leg without the solid and flexible brake lines coming apart, and thus requiring a brake bleed? As far as I could see, the union between the two is also what holds it to the leg, or am I being a bit thick?

Thanks all!
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: Advice wanted on Spring / Damper Combos.

Post by sheff »

Hi Joshy,

145lbs -1inch springs are perfect. I fitted them on my 2.8 and they firm the car up a little but its not at all harsh.
There's a lock nut where the flexi meets the strut if you loosen this a little you can remove the pipes from the strut whilst still connected, then you'll need to support the caliper when you remove it from the strut to stop the brake pipe getting damaged.
I have Gaz adjustables on the rear and I find them very good, I would imagine the strut inserts are also good quality.

I bought my springs from Tickover http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d351.html I think they also do Gaz inserts.

All the best
Neil
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

sheff wrote:Hi Joshy,

145lbs -1inch springs are perfect. I fitted them on my 2.8 and they firm the car up a little but its not at all harsh.
There's a lock nut where the flexi meets the strut if you loosen this a little you can remove the pipes from the strut whilst still connected, then you'll need to support the caliper when you remove it from the strut to stop the brake pipe getting damaged.
I have Gaz adjustables on the rear and I find them very good, I would imagine the strut inserts are also good quality.

I bought my springs from Tickover http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d351.html I think they also do Gaz inserts.

All the best
Neil
Thanks for the reply Neil, a little bit firmer is just what I'm after (poor choice of words). Tickover unfortunately only stock Gaz rear dampers but I will give them a call and see if they can put in an order. Worst case, Burton have them in stock but I always prefer to support a business like Tickover.

Is the lock nut you mentioned actually a part of the flexi / solid brake line joint? When I had a look earlier it looked as though there were 3 possible places to put a spanner in that area, I presume the middle one is the lock nut?

Thanks!
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Joshy wrote:
Is the lock nut you mentioned actually a part of the flexi / solid brake line joint? When I had a look earlier it looked as though there were 3 possible places to put a spanner in that area, I presume the middle one is the lock nut?

Thanks!
Yes it's part of the flexi line. If I remember correctly its the lower nut on the strut bracket, either way two open ended spanners on the two hex's either side of the bracket loosen slightly then it should pull out of the bracket. Take care not to bend the steel or copper line too much remove the 2 brake caliper bolts and the flexi will let you lower it clear but support the caliper so it doesn't damage/bend the brake lines.

All the best
Neil
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

And you`d be as well soaking it with WD40 for a day before!
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

stevemarl wrote:And you`d be as well soaking it with WD40 for a day before!
Everything had a very good soaking yesterday, but no doubt another wont hurt! I did manage to crack a few bolts loose yesterday just to see how bad they were, pleasantly surprised so far - guess it balances out the shock of finding snapped springs!

Am I right in thinking that theres no 'upper spring bearing' that will need replacing on the capri?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

No, it`s just the rubber....`thing` that the top spindl;e goes through, no bearing as such.
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Is it likely to need replacing with new ones? I can't seem to find much about them online.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I don`t know if they fail that often, they`re quite a simple rugged item? Damage should be easily visible anyway.
Refurbed ones are available from CCI http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... /top-mount
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Thanks for the link, I haven't had to do any suspension work to my capri yet so its another unknown area for me. From what I gather, as long as the rubber is okay inside, they should be fine?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Pretty much, yes.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Joshy , You not bothered by all the rust and shit on the strut ?. Looks to me that is more than surface rust :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Joshy,

I swapped my springs with -1inch for my 2.8, but i cleaned and painted all the top mounts and strut legs. The problem i had was that the springs jump when i turn the wheel even with the plastic spring end covers fitted (make sure these go back to).

Another tip is to make sure to add plenty of copper grease between the spring top cap and rubber bush of the strut top mount to help with the friction issue.

cheers
Joshy

Post by Joshy »

Thanks for all the help everyone, its much appreciated, the car is now alive again.

The rust on the struts was thankfully surface only and brushed off without too much fuss. Everything has been treated and painted and looks pretty good if I do say so myself!