Rear speaker replacements... Updated

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Rear speaker replacements... Updated

Post by sheff »

I think my rear speakers have past their prime :?

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?

Cheers
Neil
Last edited by sheff on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Rear speaker replacements

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

sheff wrote:Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?l
Hi Neil,

With your Janspeeds surely you dont need to listen to anything else mate. Janspeeds rock :guitar:

All the best Neil

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
sheff wrote:Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?l
Hi Neil,

With your Janspeeds surely you dont need to listen to anything else mate. Janspeeds rock :guitar:

All the best Neil

Nick
I must say Nick I didn't listen to the stereo much even before I fitted the Janspeeds. I much prefer to listen to the V6 soundtrack. I just like to switch the radio on occasionally to get an update on the weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sheff wrote:I just like to switch the radio on occasionally to get an update on the weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like your style Neil. Nice one. Good luck with finding some suitable speakers...
Cliff
Car(s): 1984 Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by Cliff »

They are a standard 10cm speaker, loads available. Co-axials will give best sound, just watch there is clearance above the speaker for the tweeter part. Something like this should fit ok- http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... e-spg-10c2
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Cliff wrote:They are a standard 10cm speaker, loads available. Co-axials will give best sound, just watch there is clearance above the speaker for the tweeter part. Something like this should fit ok- http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speaker ... e-spg-10c2
Cheers Cliff,
They look good quality. I'll have to check out the clearance to the grill, but I guess I could use some longer screws and spacers if necessary.

All the best
Neil
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

If you have a mint parcel shelf, you should cut some 6x9's into it!!!!...... :whistle:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I feel I must add that I am of course joking and you know that........so for God's sake don't! (oop's blasphamy on Easter Sunday, sorry God botherers!)
Those Alpines are excellent quality and in my humble, reasonably priced too :goodluck:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
sheff wrote:I just like to switch the radio on occasionally to get an update on the weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like your style Neil. Nice one. Good luck with finding some suitable speakers...
now there's a thing ..... why would you need to listen to a weather report ( why even have one at all ) when its always freezin' cold and pissing down :xd:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

timfromull wrote:If you have a mint parcel shelf, you should cut some 6x9's into it!!!!...... :whistle:
Tim,
You missed out the word "original" from your excellent advice!

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote:now there's a thing ..... why would you need to listen to a weather report ( why even have one at all ) when its always freezin' cold and pissing down :xd:
Hi,
Because we don't want to miss the one day of the year when it isn't! :)

Andrew.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

sheff wrote:I think my rear speakers have past their prime :?

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?

Cheers
Neil
Hi Neil, I fitted a pair of Vibe Slick 4 150w from Halfords, the quality looks ok and they sound good enough for me, no problem with fitting, need fitting without covers and I used longer screws and a few washers for spacers so they clear the speaker shelf,

Dave.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Cheers for all the advise chaps :) I think I'll go for the Alpine speakers as I like the sound of keeping the original covers and trying to retain the originality as much as possible.

Yeah Tim wouldn't that be a crime fitting speakers in the parcel shelf :shock: I could just see everyones face when I turned up at Beaulieu boasting how skillfully I had cut some 6 by 9 holes in my parcel shelf to fit them :doh:

All the best
Neil
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sheff wrote: I could just see everyones face when I turned up at Beaulieu boasting how skillfully I had cut some 6 by 9 holes in my parcel shelf to fit them :doh:
Hi Neil,

I getting very depressed now fella :crying: The previous owner had done this exact thing to the ORIGINAL parcel shelf in mine mate...and they still there ! What with everything else I been doing to Capri this winter I have not got round to replacing it yet with the CCI one. Will definitely sort this this summer. So I hope you guys go easy on me at Beaulieu please......and the funny thing is I must have switched on the Audioline radio only about twice since I owned the car. Will be replacing this with a Ford Radio...nice and simple one, no cassette or cd...

I was originally hoping to get an original shelf but the cost of decent ones do not justify the outlay for me. If my Capri was show condition then yes, but no way will I spend £250 on one ! Andrew made a very good job of replacing the carpet in his not long ago so I may ask him for a template and details of where he got the material again.

I had hoped I would be rid of the speakers in the shelf by the show season but rather have them in than just gaping holes. Maybe John has an extra large beer towel I can cover them with :lol:

When I do get rid I will be giving them away to anyone who wants them for another car maybe. Nice enough speakers, just not in my parcel shelf thank you :)

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Andrew made a very good job of replacing the carpet in his not long ago so I may ask him for a template and details of where he got the material again.
Hi Nick,
I've recently got hold of original carpets which I've fitted to my shelf. You are welcome to have the carpets that I have removed ( the acoustic carpet) which you can either fit to your original shelf to cover the holes, or fit to a new CCI shelf. You can even use them as templates if you wish. I'll take them to Simply Ford for you.

All the best,
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:I've recently got hold of original carpets which I've fitted to my shelf. You are welcome to have the carpets that I have removed ( the acoustic carpet) which you can either fit to your original shelf to cover the holes, or fit to a new CCI shelf. You can even use them as templates if you wish. I'll take them to Simply Ford for you.
Hi Andrew,

That's just made my day mate...thank you so much fella. That's really kind of you :xd:

Andrew I know you bought this acoustic carpet not that long ago so please let me know if you want any contribution towards your costs mate. I will do excactly as you say and fit them over the holes (which I will fill in with some board of some kind) so unless you look from inside the boot you wont tell the difference...and most importantly I get to keep the original shelf which is in pretty decent condition.

Once again thanks alot Andrew. Very much appreciated. I shall go into work with a smile now thanks to you, and after seeing the pics Andy posted of the XROC and his Capri as well at Torbay my Easter Sunday is looking up...

Cheers mate, Nice one

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:That's just made my day mate...thank you so much fella. That's really kind of you :xd:
Nick,
It's my pleasure, no financial contribution is necessary!
Cut some thin board into the holes, then fix the carpet on with some spray contact adhesive. As you say, no-one will notice unless they look underneath.

I've also got some stiffer cord carpet that was on the shelf originally when I bought the car. It's a little stained, but you might prefer to use that instead. I'll bring that along as well.

All the best,
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:It's my pleasure, no financial contribution is necessary!
Cut some thin board into the holes, then fix the carpet on with some spray contact adhesive. As you say, no-one will notice unless they look underneath.

I've also got some stiffer cord carpet that was on the shelf originally when I bought the car. It's a little stained, but you might prefer to use that instead. I'll bring that along as well.
Thanks Andrew. Thats brilliant ! I even get a choice of carpets. Very generous Andrew.I will do as you say and will at last have a decent parcel shelf that looks proper without having to buy a new one. Cant thank you enough.

Have a great day mate.

All the best

Nick
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Hi Nick,
Do you need some spray contact adhesive? I might have half a tin in the shed going spare. I'll pop it in the boot for Beaulieu if you want it.
And before you ask, its going free to a good home :D

All the best
Neil
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

sheff wrote:Hi Nick,
Do you need some spray contact adhesive? I might have half a tin in the shed going spare. I'll pop it in the boot for Beaulieu if you want it.
And before you ask, its going free to a good home :D

All the best
Neil
Hi Neil.

Thats fantastic mate. Yes please ! I would love that adhesive. Nice one. Sorry its taken so long to reply mate but I only just seen your message. Thats very kind of you Neil. My next question was gonna be whats the best spray adhesive to use. Briliant. I will look forward to getting rid of those 6x9 speakers at last.

Thanks very much again Neil. Much appreciated fella

All the best

Nick