Clarke Low Profile Trolley Jack

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Clarke Low Profile Trolley Jack

Post by pbar »

Thinking of getting a new low profile jack. Anyone had any experience with the Clark ones -

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... ow-profile
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Re: Clarke Low Profile Trolley Jack

Post by Hollyoak »

Not seen one before, reviews are good,it looks good and the price looks fair enough to me, if you need a new one go for it,

Dave.
Last edited by Hollyoak on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I think I will go for that one, seems to be the lowest minimum height that I've seen, especially at that kind of price, lowers to just 75mm.
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Post by damajin »

Not that one. I've got this one:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... m-garage-j

It's really very good.
- Twin cylinder for fast lift (5 pumps to full lift when not loaded)
- really controllable drop by twisting the handle. This was the issue with my old one that meant I had to replace it, it would only work when the handle was raised which meant you couldn't let it down if it is was too far under the car, like under the diff, so I had to use some pliars to lower it whilst lying under the car.
- Lightweight, at least compared with my old one which was steel. This isn't the lightest in the range but has a higher lift and higher capacity.
- Clarke has a pretty good spares range too if you need, for example, a seal kit. Just ring them or Machine mart and order for a few quid.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote:Thinking of getting a new low profile jack. Anyone had any experience with the Clark ones -

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... ow-profile
Hi Paul

Just been looking at this trolley jack. Looks excellent mate. Very low saddle height of only 75mm. Thats the lowest I seen. I have problems with my standard jack cause the floor in my garage has a slight "dip" just where my jack needs to be. This clarke one would solve that no end and its quick lift too. Clarke do have a decent reputation too. Nice one fella. Let us know if you get it.
damajin wrote:Not that one. I've got this one:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... m-garage-j

It's really very good.
This looks excellent too. Very lightweight. Saddle height min though is 100mmm compared to 75mm for the clarke. I would go for the lower saddle height of the above clarke but Both look serious quality.

Al the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies guys. My main criteria is the low saddle height, as I always have to drive the car onto blocks/ramps of wood to give more clearance. I did look at the jack in the link, it looks great but I still think I'll go for the original Clarke one which I posted due to it's low starting height and price.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I thought I'd get it, arrived today and I only ordered it yesterday. From a company called stortvalley.co.uk, was a little cheaper than Machine Mart.

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:Well I thought I'd get it, arrived today and I only ordered it yesterday. From a company called stortvalley.co.uk, was a little cheaper than Machine Mart.
Nice one Paul. Looks a really good trolley jack does that. I still cant get over how low profile the saddle sits...only 75mm :shock:

Mate can you post up how you get on with it please cause I could do with a low profile trolley jack too at some stage. So many around but this Clarke one is by far the lowest saddle height I seen, and it looks like it has a really long handle too which is another great feature. Is it really as quick as six strokes to lift the car mate...that's sounds superb !

Enjoy your new Clarke Trolley Jack Paul....

All the best

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Nick. Yes I'll mention how I feel about it once I've had a good chance to play. You've obviously been studying the different ones that are available, and like you I too was amazed at the low height that this one has. Seems like a decent piece of kit, and a good price too far a jack at this level. Also, spare parts, seals, etc. are available from the manufacturer should the need arise.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well I've had a good hour or so to play and I'm really happy with this jack, seems excellent, especially for the price. My little review -

It will slide under the Capri frame rails at the side, diff and front cross member with plenty of room to spare.

Even the full body of the jack, when under the cross member, must be 3 inches clear of the valance approx.

Easily have a 2 inch or more block of wood (if desired) on the saddle when jacking on any of the 3 areas mentioned above.

The saddle itself is approx. 4 inches in diamater, and fitted with a hard rubber pad.

I found that the jack will go from just under 80mm to around 500mm.

Handle comes in two parts, though I doubt you would ever need to use both sections. I just used the 'first' half.

Both parts of the handle are easily and quickly attached/detached, no tools needed.

It is very quick to raise, and will even lift with just a small movement from the handle in it's lowest (horizontal) position.

It lowers by turning the handle, which can be done with the handle in any position at all.

The handle does not stay down, it always wants to stand vertical, so when under the car it will rest on the car. Not an issue really though as there is no great pressure.

It's heavy! You can carry with one hand (holding the front axle), much easier with two though, holding it at the back. It is manageable though if you have to carry it here and there, I have done a few times tonight.

Hope that helps, I'm glad that I chose it, thumbs up.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Paul.

What a great report. :applaud:

Thanks for taking the time to do this

Well you have certainly put my mind at peace as you know I am thinking of buying one of these myself. It sounds fantastic. Just the job. Crikey it really is as low as they say then. Brilliant ! Dont mind the fact its heavy either as this will be just for garage use so wont be walking far with it.

Well after reading your excellent report Paul I will be popping along to my local Machine Mart this weekend.

Once again thanks for posting up this great report which I am sure alot of folk looking for a decent low profile trolley jack will find every bit as helpful as I did.

Thanks mate. Nice one :)

Nick
pbar

Post by pbar »

No problem, cheers Nick.

'Enjoy your new Clarke Trolley Jack'

:D
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote:'Enjoy your new Clarke Trolley Jack'
Hi Paul,

I rang my local Machine Mart today fella to see if they have this in stock. They don't :( but can get one in for me by Weds :woot:

I will collect it next Sunday when I am next off work. Thanks again for your " test report" Paul, this was a major factor to me deciding to get this one. Nice one.

Will you be joining the Clarke Trolley Jack Forum mate. I hear they organise "meets" every so often so we can all bring our jacks along. I think I will keep mine standard...although I may upgrade the wheels..... :lol:

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That had me laughing Nick :D As regards to bringing the jack to a trolley jack meet, I would but it's just that I'm still aching for all the carrying around I did with it from the other night!

Just wait til you go to collect it, it's not easy to carry in that big box, hope you're ready for a workout Nick.

Thanks for your kind words :cool:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

pbar wrote: I'm still aching for all the carrying around I did with it from the other night!
Jesus Paul you really are getting attached to your Claarke Low Profile Trolley Jack mate :shock:

Oh..sorry mate, I though you said "carrying on"....crumbs... I do apologise old chap.......
pbar

Post by pbar »

:applaud: :D You just wait until you get yours Nick, bet you feel the same!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Looks like a very good quality piece of equipment. "Ideal for sports cars", perfect for the Capri! :)
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:Looks like a very good quality piece of equipment. "Ideal for sports cars", perfect for the Capri!
Hi Andrew

Yes mate it does look very good dont it. I really looking forward to collecting it...evem though it weighs 32kg :shock:

It will make life so much easier than my current jack I got.

I usually see the massive HGV that delivers their stock every week. This week my low profile jack will be on it hopefully :woot:

All the best mate

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:Yes mate it does look very good dont it. I really looking forward to collecting it...
Nick,
Does this jack come supplied with a case? Only I can't see any mention of one in the description or on the box, and they are useful to carry it around.
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

peers.dupp wrote:Does this jack come supplied with a case? Only I can't see any mention of one in the description or on the box, and they are useful to carry it around
Hi Andrew,

From what I gather this does not come supplied with a case, but to be perfectly honest with you mate this is not a "must" for me where trolley jacks are concerned. Don't expect to be "carrying" this one around too much at 32kg mate ! It will be my garage Jack and I don't have a very big garage at that, so I will just keep it stored to one side for when I need it. And weighing this much I think it could be too much of a hassle trying to get this one it in and out of the case whenever I need it. Paul pointed out it can be lifted using the front axle albeit heavy so this will do me fine, although I think I will be using the two handed approach he also mentioned :)

I will let you chaps know when I collect it...

All the best

Nick
Last edited by Fordoholic Nick on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.