Heater decal update

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Heater decal update

Post by spireman »

Hi guy's we have finally produced a heater decal recreated from an original Ford part.

If anyone would like to order one they are available here for £4.50 with free P&P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-mk ... 790208924?.

Cheers.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Heater decal update

Post by pbar »

Looks much better. Fair price too. Any clarification on the illumination, i.e. much different than the original?
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I'm after one.........as pbar say's, does it illuminate as it should?
I've seen one on :ebay: that claims to illuminate correctly but they're 12 pounds odd..... :headscratch:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

timfromull wrote:I've seen one on :ebay: that claims to illuminate correctly but they're 12 pounds odd..... :headscratch:
Hi,
I think that's the one that Dave (Hollyoak) has got. It doesn't say what it's made out of in the Ebay listing, perhaps it's printed onto a different type of vinyl than the others, hence the higher price.
I've got a CCI one at the moment, which is priced between the two Ebay items. It seems to illuminate OK.
Andrew.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

I paid £10 for mine, other than the fan symbols not been quite right it's fine and and the quality and illuminations good,the one from CCI is very flimsy in comparison, the fan symbols aren't bad but the arrows are far too small it's nowhere near as good as original,

Dave,
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

Illumination wise it should be fine, the graphic is printed on a white digital vinyl with clear adhesive (as opposed to grey backed which is for blockout uses). It's also an air release vinyl so you can apply them really easily without bubbles and easy to re-position whilst fitting. In addition to this it's also laminated for protection and ease of handling.

I couldn't get a photo of one installed in a car lit up as my entire dash is currently in pieces in the garage, but I shined a torch down the hole for the bulb to try and get a photo, obviously not the perfect way to test it, I imagine with the proper light when the unit is installed in the dash the light distribution would be much more even.

The bit of light below the right hand blue box is just some excess light bleeding through the middle hole as I tried blanking it out with electrical tape to stop the camera struggling with exposure.

For best results I recommend sanding down the existing fascia to white before applying the new decal, like so:

pbar

Post by pbar »

Nice use of Capri product placement in that pic :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

This new decal looks almost identical to the original, well done. It's a good tip sanding down the original heater control, that might just make the difference. Although I've found that fitting an LED in place of the bulb works well.
You might just have tempted me with that decal.....
Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

spireman wrote:Illumination wise it should be fine, the graphic is printed on a white digital vinyl with clear adhesive (as opposed to grey backed which is for blockout uses). It's also an air release vinyl so you can apply them really easily without bubbles and easy to re-position whilst fitting.
Thanks for the reply. I have to say that this looks like the best option for a replacement heater decal yet.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`ve got to say I`m amazed at the state of the first one at the top of the page - how on earth does it get that worn as you`d think fingers would touch the knobs (I tried several ways of wording that) not really the decal behind? It`s like Edward Scissorhands`s been at it.
New one looks perfect.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:I`ve got to say I`m amazed at the state of the first one
It does look like more than wear and tear. Damage caused during storage in a box with other parts perhaps.?
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
spireman
Donator
Donator

Post by spireman »

stevemarl wrote:I`ve got to say I`m amazed at the state of the first one at the top of the page - how on earth does it get that worn as you`d think fingers would touch the knobs (I tried several ways of wording that) not really the decal behind? It`s like Edward Scissorhands`s been at it.
New one looks perfect.
Think you could be right about Edward Scissorhands I purchased a heater unit off ebay a few years ago and this one was on it. Think the previous owner should have cut his/her nails more often. :D
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

I've completely peeled off the original sticky fascia and ordered a green LED in preparation for one of these.......I 'll order one :ebay: