Heater decal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Heater decal

Post by spireman »

I have altered the fan symbols on the heater control decals.

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Heater decal

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

spireman wrote:I have altered the fan symbols on the heater control decals.
Hi,
That looks like a real improvement over the previous version.
Hope the improvement translates into more sales for you.
Andrew.
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

Cheers Andrew I sold a mk1 decal this morning to a guy in Sri Lanka, Capri's get everywhere.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

spireman wrote:Cheers Andrew I sold a mk1 decal this morning to a guy in Sri Lanka, Capri's get everywhere.
Hi,
Must be this one, there can't be many others.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44657&hilit=sri+lanka
Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

No disrespect intended, but I do think that it may have been better to have emulated the original a little better. Perhaps this might be looked at on future revisions? Such as the depth of the arrows. On the CCI one they seem much shorter, that's assuming the CCI one is correct of course!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Steve, it's actually quite a lot different then.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Steve,
Did you have that photo on your laptop already, or did you rush outside to dismantle your car so you can show the original decal?
I knew you were dedicated to helping people on the forum, but that is going above and beyond! ;)
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

spireman wrote:I have altered the fan symbols on the heater control decals.

I can scan and email you an original if that helps,

Dave.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi everybody,
My thoughts on this are that none of the available reproduction decals appear to be an exact replica of the original. As Ian alluded to in a previous thread, perhaps this is due to the potential infringement of Ford's copyright or intellectual property rights, or whatever. Aren't Ford known to be particularly litigious in protection of their property?
Dave, in order to obtain a perfect reproduction of an original decal you can take yours along to your local vinyl printers. They will be more willing to make a one-off perfect copy. It will cost a little more, but if that's what it takes......
No offence intended to the guys selling these decals on Ebay, from my experience they are very good quality and will satisfy the vast majority of Capri owners.
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

peers.dupp wrote: did you rush outside to dismantle your car so you can show the original decal?
Well... somebody has to do it! Mind you by the time I`d put it all back together it was gone 2AM! :nopity:

I don`t understand what actually goes wrong with them that they get replaced in the first place? Do fingers rubbing degrade the finish or something?
Hollyoak wrote:I can scan and email you an original if that helps,
I was going to say I could get a better photo today if required, but scanning would be even better. (the other was zoomed in from photo when I did all the dash bulbs, hence blurriness)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote:
I don`t understand what actually goes wrong with them that they get replaced in the first place? Do fingers rubbing degrade the finish or something?
That seems to be it, yes. The black, especially, seems to rub away with fingernails rubbing it maybe.
pbar

Post by pbar »

peers.dupp wrote:...due to the potential infringement of Ford's copyright...

...in order to obtain a perfect reproduction of an original decal you can take yours along to your local vinyl printers.
No one is going to worry about copyright infringement, differences in design are just down to lack of accuracy. It's only a black background with a few symbols on it.

You can replicate these at home with minimal software and then have them printed on vinyl (if that's your substrate of choice).

But yes, you can also take one somewhere to have it duplicated, that's an option also.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
pbar wrote:No one is going to worry about copyright infringement
Can you be certain of that? No, I didn't think so.
I think that if you are reproducing somebody else's design, there is always the possibility of copyright infringement. Whether it's pursued or not is another matter. I imagine that if infringement proceedings are initiated, a cease and desist letter from Ford's legal department would be enough to deter most sellers of reproduction items, and the matter will be dropped.
Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

No one will bother about it, may not even be any copyright attached, anyone who wants to copy it and make a few stickers, will just do so.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Just to show how easy it can be I have altered the arrow depth on the decal below, more in keeping with the correct one which Steve posted. Took a couple of minutes that's all, and that's on a photo, even easier on an actual graphics file -

stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just getting a copy made for personal use is entirely different to making them for sale I`d have thought?
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote:Just getting a copy made for personal use is entirely different to making them for sale I`d have thought?
Yes most likely. I doubt very much that any of those selling them would have been bothered by that though?

By the way, with the altered one above I was trying to demonstrate that you can create one and be as accuruate or caring as you like, or go and create a bespoke one with any design that you wish, I know that various members on here like to experiment and come up with something new just for themselves.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:Just getting a copy made for personal use is entirely different to making them for sale I`d have thought?
Hi,
That's the point I was making. That's why I suggested that taking an image to a local vinyl printers could be the best option for a faithful reproduction.
Andrew.
spireman
Donator
Donator

Post by spireman »

Now then guy's I have searched through my garage and found an old heater control with the original decal on, although it is not in brilliant condition you can still see the fan symbols and arrows so now we should be able to produce a decal as near to the original as you can get. I will keep you informed.