2.8 Cologne .. can it be quick?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
drtdgg
Car(s): 347 Windsor powered mk2

Re: 2.8 Cologne .. can it be quick?

Post by drtdgg »

handles pretty good, they are only 15x8s with 225s on. they sit out further than normal because of the offset tho. its great fun to drive and will happily do burnouts in top gear. its 347w with afr heads, 3000rpm converter, hughes manual c4 and locked 8 inch diff with currie axles. should run mid 11s down the strip.
Taylor
vifferdc
Car(s): 1971 Chevy Chevelle
1974 BMW 2002 ti 2.0
1975 Honda CB750 Cafe
1976 Ford "Mercury" Capri 2.8
2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2001 Audi S4

Post by vifferdc »

what's your offset/backspacing on those wheels? If I remember correctly you've done the five lug conversion, right?
drtdgg
Car(s): 347 Windsor powered mk2

Post by drtdgg »

yeah its 5 stud ford pattern. wheels are neg 35ish offset/ 3 1/4 backspace from memory. my front brake setup changed the offset a bit though and ive moved the spring cups down the strut so they would interfere with the tyre if the offset was different
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Hi there mate
I have seen this idea (may have skipped it but anyway)
the capri 2.8 here had a 3.09:1 ratio rear diff
many were know to replace the whole axle for one of a 2.0 litre which If I recall correctly are around the 3.45:1

Said to make the car quicker off the line but you'll lose top end speed and that is without touching the engine.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

I have tried 3.0 Essex tuning with 300 degree camshaft and other modifications. I could say the
outcome was pretty miserable maybe +25bhb at top end. Lower end was totally dead. Fuel Consumption
was also horrible it took about 50% more fuel and driving in city was horrible.

If you want car feeling more powerful with really small money, change rear axle ratio to 3.8 or 4.1
Like following link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quaife-Ford-A ... Sw-0xYgiMp

That power comes also with cost of fuel consumption.

NA 2.8 engine is possible to tune to give about 220 to 230 bhb. But I won't suggest it just buy a turbo and
give that siamese ports some boost, it will breath pretty well. 300-350bhb is pretty reasonable with stock
internals, if you dont go over 6000rpm. With forget internals 400bhb is pretty reasonable too. I hope to get
about 5xx or atleast high 4xx engine power with my next build, we will see if thats possible or not.
Torque is like 2-3 times that any NA cologne can deliver 550-700nm torque is pretty possible.

If you build high rpm high comp NA engine, it's life expectancy is pretty low. But with turbo build
and right engine management you make life expectancy several times longer, with less service.

2.9 Cosworth engine with custom rods and pistons is able to live with high boost to about 1000bhb before
crank is gone.

2.8/2.9 engine with boost will give you possible even 600bhb.

Westlake makes custom forged crankshaft that have 2 more flywheel bolts and it is like atleast twice as durable as
normal crank. Standard 2.8 rods will manage to 6000-6500rpm then you need to change them. 2.9 rods will manage maybe
6500 to 7000rpm. Though I suggest to change rod bolts to arp. There seems to be problems with those bolts. Also valve problems
seem to be problem with these engine, but sure why. Usually it seem like valve valve cotter fails or cracked retainer.
Block seems to be able to surve around 500 bhb with boosted engine, unless you drive races with it. In street you never got
chance to use it so long that it would heat and engine fails.

Also to increase durabilty of rear axle and transmission I suggest to use 3.09 or 3.22 rear axle ratios. With enough
torque you never miss rear axle ratio of 3.44 or higher.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Zombie thread is zombiefied.
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

I think there may be a bit of confusion here in regards to which Ford 2.8 Cologne the OP is talking about. It looks to me that the OP quite possibly has the American 2.8 Cologne engine, which is quite a different animal to the Euro Cologne. The heads are totally different with a 6 port head as opposed to the Euro 5 port head. A good link to get a idea of the differences is here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... an-changes. Now these engines should respond quite well to modifying as they're absolutely strangled to death with all sorts of emission crap. There is a book on modifying the 2.8 here https://www.amazon.com/Degrees-Engines- ... 0879389141 I believe the 2.8 engine he built for the book made about 220hp IIRC.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Stroker wrote:I think there may be a bit of confusion here in regards to which Ford 2.8 Cologne the OP is talking about. It looks to me that the OP quite possibly has the American 2.8 Cologne engine, which is quite a different animal to the Euro Cologne. The heads are totally different with a 6 port head as opposed to the Euro 5 port head. A good link to get a idea of the differences is here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... an-changes. Now these engines should respond quite well to modifying as they're absolutely strangled to death with all sorts of emission crap. There is a book on modifying the 2.8 here https://www.amazon.com/Degrees-Engines- ... 0879389141 I believe the 2.8 engine he built for the book made about 220hp IIRC.
I have that book in my bookshelf. That book is little bit outdated, but if you tune NA engine according to that book outcome is still quite good.
In my opinion if you buy all that is suggested in that book to make NA engine with 220hp, you can make turbo engine
with 440bhb....
Stroker
Car(s): Ford Sierra 4x4 Estate

Post by Stroker »

Vermilion wrote:
Stroker wrote:I think there may be a bit of confusion here in regards to which Ford 2.8 Cologne the OP is talking about. It looks to me that the OP quite possibly has the American 2.8 Cologne engine, which is quite a different animal to the Euro Cologne. The heads are totally different with a 6 port head as opposed to the Euro 5 port head. A good link to get a idea of the differences is here http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... an-changes. Now these engines should respond quite well to modifying as they're absolutely strangled to death with all sorts of emission crap. There is a book on modifying the 2.8 here https://www.amazon.com/Degrees-Engines- ... 0879389141 I believe the 2.8 engine he built for the book made about 220hp IIRC.
I have that book in my bookshelf. That book is little bit outdated, but if you tune NA engine according to that book outcome is still quite good.
In my opinion if you buy all that is suggested in that book to make NA engine with 220hp, you can make turbo engine
with 440bhb....
Yes agreed the book is dated, but is a very good start for someone starting out modifying a Cologne engine.
Not everyone wants to turbo for various reasons. I myself have gone the N/A route mainly for originality, plus laws in different countries make turbo-ing a bit of a nightmare.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

My countrys legislation makes is pretty much impossible to put bigger engine than 3.5l... people here have put that
3.5l rover V8 with sad 135bhb... its much easier to put a turbo and give a engine some air. Fuel consumption is also much lower
and engine service interval is much longer with turbo engine.