Flooded Carb

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Re: Flooded Carb

Post by Jim »

stevemarl wrote:According to haynes (supplement) plastic = 35.3mm, brass = 41.0mm
Thanks buddy :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim

Post by Jim »

Great stuff. Put the carb back together, and carb doesnt seem to leak there now. kept the same gasket :/ Car still wont start. Did the spark test, and I'm getting a spark and there is definitely fuel getting through. So I've gone on to the ignition parts. Rotor arm is new and not cracked, condenser was only replaced recently but will swap for a new one to test. Dizzy cap looks fine inside. Any ideas? Could it just be damp and need some dry start stuff??? Its been sitting for over a week now.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Timing perhaps? Or blocked jets?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Where are you getting the spark, is it at the plugs? If so that suggests the ignition components are working well enough. You say fuel is getting through - does that mean the plugs are getting wet? If so you may have flooded the engine. Take all the plugs out for a short while, heat them gently in a low blow lamp put them back and try again. If it still won't start check the timing .
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

stevemarl wrote:According to haynes (supplement) plastic = 35.3mm, brass = 41.0mm
fanks man :) ..... sorta ... coz now I cant stop thinkin about it :xd: , probly have to have a fiddle before I sleep again............... the carb THE CARB , fiddle with the carb :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Just checking, is this for the 34ich fitted to Jim's car or for the 32/36?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Oh Jesus - sorry! You`re correct, I assumed DGAV. Would the figures not be close though as it`s presumably due to the different buoyancy of the 2 types of float?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Peter-S wrote:Where are you getting the spark, is it at the plugs? If so that suggests the ignition components are working well enough. You say fuel is getting through - does that mean the plugs are getting wet? If so you may have flooded the engine. Take all the plugs out for a short while, heat them gently in a low blow lamp put them back and try again. If it still won't start check the timing .
Yeah, I'm getting a spark on the first plug. Took first plug out yesterday to do the test and the plugs didn't seem to wet.
Dreamachine
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 restoration project
Ford focus daily driver

Post by Dreamachine »

I've got fuel coming out of the top of the carburettor. .what could be the cause of this
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Dreammachine - you should really start a new thread for your own issue, this is the second one you've hijacked mate. No offence meant.

Fuel coming out of the top of the carb points to the float level being too high. This could be the float is wrongly set or punctured or that the needle valve has stuck open.
Dreamachine
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 restoration project
Ford focus daily driver

Post by Dreamachine »

Hijacked...didn't realise. .how do you start your own thread then...thanx for the advice anyway
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dreamachine wrote:. .how do you start your own thread then...
Click the red 'new post' tab above and left, enter a subject such as 'flooded carb' enter descriptive text and then click submit