Heater unit question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Heater unit question

Post by dan the capri fan »

Hi everyone ive recently took the heater unit out of my capri as the blower motor stopped working. i took the unit out a few weeks ago as i had most of the dash out fixing some electrical things and wiring in my sony Radio/CD player properly. the other day i took the heater unit apart to get the motor out which was a pain in itself with the plastic clips etc. i also cleaned the unit out as it had leaves and carbon from the motor in it as well as i flushed all the brown crap out of the heater matrix. i got the blower motor working again by wiring it to my spare battery and freeing it off with WD40 i kept squirting WD40 at the top of the spindle to really losen it up so it will work for a long time to come. then i put it all back together another pain was getting the metal clips at the top of the heater unit back on. then last friday i started putting the heater back in the car its half way in but is getting stuck on the matrix pipes and wont go any further in. i also wired it back up to check it worked in the car which it does brilliantly even faster than before on both speeds. then i noticed the air flow control flaps position through the holes near the bottom of the heater unit by the clock. i dont remember seeing it in that position when the control levers in the position flowing the air towards you before i took the heater out. can someone tell me if ive put the flap in the wrong position or not before i finish putting the heater back in otherwise its going to have to come out and come apart if its in the wrong position which is going to a right pain in the arse. thanks :D

Here's some pics to show you what im on about:

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Heater unit question

Post by Mc Tool »

I can see the flap thru the outlet holes on mine. WD40 is not the best lube for the heater motor , it will eventually dry out and leave the bushes dry and then it will squeal its arse off. I would remove the armature and clean the bushes and the shaft and get a bit of light grease ( or thickish oil) in there before you finish refitting the heater , probly a good time to relube the windscreen wiper motor bushes and links. If you do disassemble the wiper motor , there is a small coil spring which provides a bit of end thrust to the armature , this spring should be packed in grease coz it might just start a hi pitched vibration that one could easily mistake for a dry bush ... :doh: .... (yeah I had the fuckin' thing out twice :evil: ). , and , yeah , the heater can be a bitch to get back in place . The proper way to get it out is remove the glove box , rotate the heater back a bit to get the matrix pipes to clear the bulkhead and then slide the heater assy to the left , sorta down into the passenger foot well , and , apparently you simply (? ) reverse the procedure to refit ..................which is bullshit , coz it nearly fell out in my hands but it took 3 days , 2 bottles of Benedictine , a bottle of valium and an incantation from the local nutbag/witch doctor guy ( I think it a guy ) to get it back in..............so do the wipers while its out ;)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Nicely labelled up stereo wires Dan.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

I’ve just done mine, they are difficult to get back in but with some careful twisting about it will go in, the cable on mine that goes over top was really tight I had hell of a job getting it over, have you got yours at the right side, you need to get your head in the foot well so you can see where the pipes go through the bulk head,
If I was you id take it back out and for the sake of £60 ish fit a new motor, because as said its probably going to come back to haunt you, mine worked on both speeds but squeaked on low speed I just binned it, it’s too much work to take the risk IMO, plus mines got waterless coolant in which is expensive to say the least so I don’t want to take it out again,
The flaps are fairly easy to set up, and the positioning is obvious if you have a look especially if the box is split, I found locating the flaps inside awkward so I removed the caps they fit into from the housing they just pull out, fit them on the flaps first, much easier to locate,
One thing to watch out for, the bottom flap operates on a sprocket, mine had slipped, which stopped the slider and the flap operating fully, it’s easy to sort out, the outer part , the lever can removed easily and put back in the right position,
Make sure when you fit the slider it doesn’t end up inside the radio clip, mine did and it took me a while to figure out why it had gone stiff,
You ought to change the decals on the slider while you can get at it, I got one off ebay £10 and its good quality,
Hope you can pick something out of this that helps,

Dave.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

You can get new motors? Are they better and quieter?

If so...

"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

Mines a Bosch from tickover and its fine, certainly better than it was,

Dave.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I always have new motors and new resistors in stock.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hollyoak wrote:You ought to change the decals on the slider while you can get at it, I got one off ebay £10 and its good quality.
I like the idea of a brand spanking newly printed decal, but does the light from the bulb still shine through the extra layer of vinyl?
I believe that both mellow yellow and spireman on this forum sell them for about a fiver. Both look spot on and are printed on vinyl.
Andrew.
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

peers.dupp wrote:
"Hollyoak" wrote:You ought to change the decals on the slider while you can get at it, I got one off ebay £10 and its good quality,.
I like the idea of a brand spanking newly printed decal, but does the light from the bulb still shine through the extra layer of vinyl?
I believe that both mellow yellow and spireman on this forum sell them for about a fiver. Both look spot on and are printed on vinyl.
Andrew.
Andrew.
Not sure what you mean by extra layer, the old one comes off and the new one goes on, it looks exactly the same, though I must admit I've not put it back on yet as one of the tapped holes has stripped that mount it to the dash, going to sort that this W/E, but from what I can see it should be ok,I'll let you know, I've Had some good stuff off M.Y by the way wish I'd have known,

Dave.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Hollyoak wrote:
peers.dupp wrote:
"Hollyoak" wrote:You ought to change the decals on the slider while you can get at it, I got one off ebay £10 and its good quality,.
Andrew.
Andrew.
Not sure what you mean by extra layer, the old one comes off and the new one goes on, it looks exactly the same, though I must admit I've not put it back on yet as one of the tapped holes has stripped that mount it to the dash, going to sort that this W/E, but from what I can see it should be ok,I'll let you know, I've Had some good stuff off M.Y by the way wish I'd have known,

Dave.
If you can't rectify the stripped thread, I may have a spare one in my garage somewhere. Seem to remember seeing one a while back, but would need a bit of a search.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Dave,
I've always assumed that the replacement decal fits over the original one.
I've never thought of removing the original first! :doh:
Andrew.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

Dave.[/quote]

If you can't rectify the stripped thread, I may have a spare one in my garage somewhere. Seem to remember seeing one a while back, but would need a bit of a search.

I think it should be just thick enough to heli coil it, it will only take 10min to try it so I'll give it a go, I'll give you a shout if I need one, thanks,

Dave.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Def remove the old decal ..... I didn't and then after Id stuck the new one on the old one decided to come off any way and ruin the job ...... and the light doesn't shine thru my sticker any more .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
pbar

Post by pbar »

-JC- wrote:You can get new motors?
Yes, they look like this -

http://capriclub.co.uk/Bosch-Heater-Mot ... er%20motor
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Exactly the same as the ones I have, only mine are £58.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Good price there caprigear
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Don't forget that there is a 20% discount off the CCI web price if you a club member.
Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

But is it any better? Or just a straight replacement? Mine is a bit wheezy, but I always assumed that's how they came!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Bearing in mind thaat the original motor is probably around 28 years old then the new ones are a lot better. I know when I fit new motors and test them on the bench there's a nice strong blast of air coming out of the vents.
pbar

Post by pbar »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
Don't forget that there is a 20% discount off the CCI web price if you a club member.
Andrew.
Those on screen prices include vat as well don't they? But not delivery.