Aluminium Radiator

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Aluminium Radiator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

sheff wrote:and some sort of sealant that I can't remember the name of
Is that the heatsink paste?
Where did you obtain rivets small enough for the task? I had a quick look for them on Ebay, but could only find ones more suited for shipbuilding judging by the sizes!
Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Yeah heat sink paste.
I found a rivet at work. If you could tell me the size I'll see if I can find some more and pop :xd: some in the post to you.

Regards
Neil
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Or you can use a 3mm nut & bolt, as long as the heatsink connects to the PCB it`s fine, & tbh a rivet is a bit fiddly?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:Or you can use a 3mm nut & bolt, as long as the heatsink connects to the PCB it`s fine, & tbh a rivet is a bit fiddly?
Yep, great solution, thanks. As a bonus, it will be easier to replace next time. I think I'll do that when I do mine.
Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

stevemarl wrote:Or you can use a 3mm nut & bolt, as long as the heatsink connects to the PCB it`s fine, & tbh a rivet is a bit fiddly?
That's a great idea. I was a bit worried about damaging the PCB with the force of the rivet. A nut and bolt is perfect and like Andrew said easier to change next time.

Here's a link to the guide I used http://www.capriclub2000.co.uk/help-inf ... mp-gauges/

Cheers
Neil
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

sheff wrote:Hi Dave,

I think that's probably best. Good luck and let us know how you get on with the CCI rad.

Cheers
Neil
Hi, got the new rad from CCI and the quality is first class, really pleased,

Dave.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I have an E30 radiator in the shed. Couldn't find a filler cap for it though. I got a BMW cap from the dealer... and it was the wrong thread size if I recall correctly. Eventually just stuck in a good metal top Capri radiator.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: that`s a weird pic, the PCB seems to be a mirror image of mine, as though pics been flipped left to right? But it`s not.
Steve,
Just to satisfy your curiosity:
Andrew.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

Fitted new alloy rad from CCI today and it's leaking from the small over flow pipe, looks like some kind of pressed fit it's not welded, though it's rock solid, no it's not leaking from the cap or the pipe I've double checked and checked again,managed to save most of the waterless coolant otherwise I would have been sick, hopefully it's a one off as the quality looks excellent, though I didn't expect problems at that price, it's off and back in the box I'll get it sent back tomorrow, I'll let you know what the next ones like,

Dave.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear of the rad problems. Unfortunately, you don't seem to be having much luck with club products.
I'm interested in your decision to use waterless coolant. I don't know much about it, except that it's quite expensive, what advantages have you found over using traditional water and antifreeze?
All the best,
Andrew.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

I must be a glutton for punishment I've ordered another 107 quids worth, been waiting a week now, delivery cost £18 not impressed,
I've not really had chance to see if there's any kind of improvement yet with Evens coolant, though I wasn't having any problems anyway,though apparently the 2.8 doesn't have the best cooling, I just liked the thought that it won't boil and there's not much pressure and you don't get the corrosion, it's also in for life and if I've got this right you can reuse it you definitely can reuse the prep fluid,

Dave.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. I've just checked on Ebay, and you can buy the required 10 litres of Evans Classic Cool for £130 from Demon Tweeks. That's all-in including delivery or collect at Argos if you prefer. I guess you won't need anymore though, if it lasts a lifetime.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evans-Classic ... 48632c6e53
Andrew.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. I've just checked on Ebay, and you can buy the required 10 litres of Evans Classic Cool for £130 from Demon Tweeks. That's all-in including delivery or collect at Argos if you prefer. I guess you won't need anymore though, if it lasts a lifetime.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evans-Classic ... 48632c6e53
Andrew.
No I won't need any more, that's about what I paid it's all about the same, don't forget if you ever decide to use it you also need the prep fluid,

Dave.
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Dave,

Apologies for not replying sooner, yes i fitted a kenlowe fan along with my ali radiator, all works sweet and quite easy to fit. By now i presume you will have your new ali rad from CCI, i am sure you won't be disappointed mate.

drop a picture on when its fitted?

cheers Mart.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

martinc92 wrote:Dave,

Apologies for not replying sooner, yes i fitted a kenlowe fan along with my ali radiator, all works sweet and quite easy to fit. By now i presume you will have your new ali rad from CCI, i am sure you won't be disappointed mate.

drop a picture on when its fitted?

cheers Mart.
Yes CCI swapped it no probs and this one doesn't leak, a bit of messing about but I'm really pleased with it, just got to get my radio back and I've cracked it but that's not going so well, I'd love to post some photos but I've not got round to tackling photo bucket yet,

Dave
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hollyoak wrote:Yes CCI swapped it no probs
Hi Dave,
Glad you've got the rad exchanged. Just out of curiosity, as the original part supplied was faulty did CCI pay for return postage?
Andrew.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

peers.dupp wrote:
Hollyoak wrote:Yes CCI swapped it no probs
Hi Dave,
Glad you've got the rad exchanged. Just out of curiosity, as the original part supplied was faulty did CCI pay for return postage?
Andrew.
Hi Andrew, As it happens I sent it back by car as I didn't want to wait another week for it ( diesels not expensive ) the guy did about 300 miles round trip,
But when I returned the pedal cover that was at my expense, in fact it cost me about £25 for the pleasure of having a look at one ( postage both ways )
I'll only buy in future if it's considerably cheaper with the discount or if it's something exclusive,
Received a bumper capping today ( caught mine on the garage door ) looks good but the blanking caps missing he's going to post it tomorrow, Also a heater decal looks very faithful to the original, I'll be changing the one I fitted a couple of weeks ago,

Dave.
Last edited by Hollyoak on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hollyoak wrote: Also a heater decal looks very faithful to the original, I'll be changing the one I fitted a couple of weeks ago,
Hi Dave,
For an original look, it sounds as though the CCI decal is the one to go for. Thanks for letting us know.
Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Hollyoak wrote:...heater decal looks very faithful to the original, I'll be changing the one I fitted a couple of weeks ago,
I too thought that from looking at them, thanks Dave. Out of interest please confirm if/how the illumination still looks if you get chance.
Hollyoak
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

No bother proberbly be W/E but ill let you know,

Dave,