2.8 bilstein strut top mount knocking

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

2.8 bilstein strut top mount knocking

Post by martinc92 »

Hi All,

i have problem when lightly pushing down on the wing i have a knocking from the strut/top mount, not sure if its the the standard strut top rubber mount or the insert sticking?

i have had both of these off, cleaned, painted and fitted new -1" coil springs but not inserts or top mounts.

for those who have updated their struts, advice please as to whether to fit new inserts and top mounts etc, if so can anybody recommend where to get new roller top mounts from, or is the way forward converted billys with coil overs?

cheers
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 2.8 bilstein strut top mount knocking

Post by sheff »

Hi,

Did you have the noise before you fitted the new springs?

You should be able to fit -1" springs without any problems. Where did you buy the springs from, were they a good fit in the spring cups? Did you torque everything up ok with the car sat back on its wheels?

I've bought some -1 springs from Tickover and will be fitting them when the weather gets a bit warmer, so interested to know how you get on with this one.

You shouldn't need roller tops on a 2.8 with the power steering and I've heard coil overs are a waste of time unless you go track racing in it.

Keep us posted with your progress
Neil
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

martinc92 wrote:if so can anybody recommend where to get new roller top mounts from, or is the way forward converted billys with coil overs?
Hi Mart,
There is some useful information about suspension upgrades on the Tickover website. If you haven't already read the page, it's worth taking a few minutes to do so.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/suspension.htm
As Neil says, roller top mounts are of no benefit to cars fitted with PAS.
There are a few answers to a similar question posted some time ago on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44205&hilit=knock+front
I hope you find the solution, and don't forget to let us know if you fix it!
All the best,
Andrew.
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Thanks Gents.

Neil,

I bought my springs from burton Power and yes good fit. Not sure of problem prior to strip out as i bought the car then stripped it bare to restore!!

All torqued up on the wheels ok, but only nearside seems to be a problem with the spring jumping when turning lock to lock.

Andrew,

yes i had seen the info on tickover, and the threads on here by search, but thanks for the info you provided. I will remove the struts again and go for a replacement top mount, as i hear Martin at Capri gear has them in stock?

i will keep you informed???

Mart.