Dead/dying battery, or something else?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
souponherhed
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 24v Cosworth

Dead/dying battery, or something else?

Post by souponherhed »

I left the interior light on in my car overnight, and as you'd expect, came back to it next morning, for it to not start. I didn't have the opportunity to jump start it for about a week, so it had been sat for a week, and the battery went completely flat, literally no power at all.

Tried to jump start it from my friend's car (a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa) but that wouldn't do anything, so it sat for another day. I then managed to get it jump started from a Land Rover (after leaving it running for 20 mins or so), and it started fine. Took it for an hour-long drive, left it overnight, and boom - wouldn't start the next day.

Got hold of a voltmeter, checked the battery reading - 11.78V, then jump started it from the Land Rover again, with it running, the battery voltage was high 13s/low 14s. I took it for a 2.5 mile drive to the shop, was in the shop half an hour or so, then it started fine in the car park, and got me home. Next day, it wouldn't start again. Checked the battery voltage - 12.34V. I've left it for a few days since then, and the battery voltage is still at 12.34V, but it won't start.

I think it's the battery, I'm not sure how old it is, but it has been in the car since I got it (mid June) and I've left the lights on a couple of times, requiring it to jump started, and have had no problems. It just seems odd that after leaving an interior light on one night, it has killed the battery completely.

If it is the battery that's the issue, what battery would you recommend I get?
It's a 2.0L Laser, if that makes much, or any, difference, and has the original battery connectors, so I'll need a battery with the square terminals.

Thanks, Liam.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Dead/dying battery, or something else?

Post by pbar »

I think Martin at CapriGear still has the correct terminal batteries.

I think that when a battery is old and/or not in the best condition, then a heavy discharge can kill it. Happened to me in a Golf, battery was the original at about 12 years old, worked fine all the time. Until one night I put the headlights on to shine on something I was working on. I pushed my luck too far, battery died, and never recovered. Would jump start ok, but couldn't hold a charge.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Thanks, I'll drop him a PM.

That's what I thought it was, but it's holding charge (at 12.34V for 3 days), but that's still not enough to start the car.
If the battery was dead, or on its way out, wouldn't it continue to drop? It's been on 12.34V for 3-4 days now...
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

If it's holding at 12.34 then you might be lucky.
These cold mornings really flog a battery that's past it's best but yours did take a charge from empty, enough to start the car. It sounds like you don't have to rely on the car every day for transport, if you did then a new battery would be an absolute must.
If it has 6 plugs on top then remove each and check that you can see electrolyte acid either covering the plates or up to the plastic level marker in each cell. If all are low then it's probably a bit old and past it's best. Not many people bother to top up and re-charge these days. If a couple are a bit low then you can top up - Very Carefully, marigolds & goggles - to the level mark, or just covering the plates with deionized water.
If it is serviceable then in your position I would be tempted to buy a battery trickle charger, available from anywhere such as Argos, Halfords, Machine Mart etc. Read the instructions ( need to loosen the six plugs on top to let hydrogen gas out - no fags on the go etc.) and use it overnight on the 12volts / Low setting.
Always switch the power supply socket OFF before unclipping the crock-clips to prevent sparks.
With a little luck your battery will come back to life and you'll have a charger to top it up if it's been parked for a few weeks without use.
A few quotes from your local motor factors for the correct battery will give you a better idea to work from compared to the price of a battery charger.
renaulthater
Car(s): Laser laquer red 1600

Post by renaulthater »

@ 12.3v it only 70% charged as already mentioned try charging it over night
and see how it goes
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have the correct batteries for both the 4 cylinder and V6 models, with the correct terminals so you don't have to dick around with adapters.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

renaulthater wrote:@ 12.3v it only 70% charged as already mentioned try charging it over night
and see how it goes
Yes, it needs a decent charge before you can assess it properly. Of course if you have to buy a charger than you may feel its just well to get a battery instead.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I think my battery might be on the blink too. At night with the headlights on they dim every so slightly when using the brakes.

Never has any trouble starting or staying running, just the headlights dim whenever i use the brake or say turn anything else on.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

I'll see if I can acquire a battery charger, I'm pretty certain I can borrow one from a mate. I'll try and save this battery, but with winter and colder weather coming, it'll probably be worth getting a new battery anyway.

What's the difference between the batteries for the 4 cylinder and the V6 Capris?
My step-dad suggested getting a battery from a V6 one instead of a 4 cylinder. Is there any logic in this?
renaulthater
Car(s): Laser laquer red 1600

Post by renaulthater »

ye fit the biggest you can= more reserve power
rigden439
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0 Ghia Auto 1977 (rolling restoration)

Post by rigden439 »

Suggestions appreciated. Have mk 2 3.0 Ghia auto. Thought battery was on way out but think there is something else. After car is warm and then left for short period it won't start, sounds like battery. But if left to cool a bit will then start. Knew it not battery as when I got someone to jump start me when still warm engine would still not turn over like the battery was dead. Surely when being jump started if battery at fault it would turn over. Any ideas?
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Post by Adlen85 »

063 works on a Capri.

075 is bigger.

096 is ridiculous.

I have an 096 because I'm a twat.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The correct sizes are 085 for the 4 cylinder models and 097 for the V6.
I have both.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Does brand matter with the battery?
I've found an 097 battery, with the old connectors on it, for £55 free delivery. Trying to save money where I can, but obviously don't want one that's going to die over the winter.
al1981gl
Car(s): Ford Capri 1981 2.0 GL - daily driver
RR Silver Shadow 1975 - fine weekends.

Post by al1981gl »

I had similar problems with an otherwise concours 1961 Austin Princess 3 litre VDP.
Turned out to be intermittently poor connections on the starter circuit, both to and from the solenoid, and the starter live and earth. Disconnect the battery first, then undo the connections, clean them up with a smear of Vaseline petroleum jelly on the mating surfaces, and remake nice and tight. Clean the battery terminals as well while you're at it.
rigden439
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0 Ghia Auto 1977 (rolling restoration)

Post by rigden439 »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that and let you know