Power steering

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
al1981gl
Car(s): Ford Capri 1981 2.0 GL - daily driver
RR Silver Shadow 1975 - fine weekends.

Power steering

Post by al1981gl »

I am delighted with my 1981 2.0GL, but I have troubles in my arms and shoulders that make steering at parking speeds a painful problem.
Is there any practicable way of fitting power assistance to the steering ?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Power steering

Post by Peter-S »

Matty2148 wrote:Yeah you can use the 2.8 crossmember, it shifts the engine and gearbox forward about 3/4" so you may need to adjust your gearbox mounts, the 2l engine mounts are stll needed and they will fit on the 2.8 crossmember, the 2.8 pump will work, but, you`ll need to get a sierra/granada pinto powersteering pump bracket and tensioner, or make one yourself. Ive done the job myself so know its no biggy.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,

There was a detailed write-up of the procedure in the CCI mag a few years ago. It's not a two minute job.
I can try to dig out the mag for you, if you're really interested in doing it.

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Power steering. :gay:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I broke 9 ribs , 4 vertebrae , punctured lung , ruptured liver ,spleen , colon ,small intestine ,pancreas right kidney , and have been cut open from my dick to my sternum ( twice ) , and from hip to hip and have major incisional hernia's ........... and I too have trouble cranking that steering wheel at parking speed , nothing :gay: about it :) . A lot of newer cars have electric power steering and while I havn't yet looked into that its on the list :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

The Corsa B electric power steering seems to be a popular choice as a retro fit power steering upgrade on other Classic and kit cars. Not heard of anyone fitting it on a Capri, but it sounds possible.

The power unit is in the column, so I assume you could keep the standard rack and marry it up to the Corsa column.

Hope this helps :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

al1981gl wrote:I am delighted with my 1981 2.0GL, but I have troubles in my arms and shoulders that make steering at parking speeds a painful problem.
There are certain other things which you might want to look at first. Do you have the correct size tyres for example, if yours are wider than standard it makes a noticeable difference, harder to steer. Then there are roller top mounts perhaps?
Matty2148
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Mk1 GLX

Post by Matty2148 »

I was going to answer this as I`ve done it once or twice, then I see I already have! ha

It makes the world of difference to get power steering on the 2.0, I had a slightly modded 2.8 on a carbed engine sat on a 3L non PS crossmember, my god it needed power steering too!
al1981gl

Post by al1981gl »

Thank you everybody.
The tyres, pressures, suspension and steering gear are all in order. There is no mechanical problem.
As the car is 99% original and in first rate condition all round, I am reluctant to take a can-opener to it.
I shall have to give the matter more thought.
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Post by Toecutter »

Tapered roller top mounts made a difference to mine, Rally design do them http://rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.p ... s_id=21397, not cheap though and you have to buy sleeve inserts with them too.
The good thing with the Corsa B set-up is that that you can fit a control unit which allows you to dial in the level of power assist or switch it off altogether for driving and only use it for parking.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,

The Tickover website says this about roller top mounts on a Capri:

"They either introduce a steering shake or a vibration, depending on make, and do very little to lighten steering."

Am I right in saying that the front has to be lowered by 1" to compensate for the extra height of the roller mounts? If so, you'll need to factor in the cost of a pair of springs too.
sheff wrote: Not heard of anyone fitting it on a Capri, but it sounds possible.
I've heard the Corsa B power steering unit mentioned on several occasions, but like you, I've never heard of the conversion actually being completed. If anyone has performed such a conversion, please can they post a detailed write-up to help this chap see what is involved?

Andrew.
al1981gl

Post by al1981gl »

The strut bearings have been renewed, all the usual bushes replaced and the rack and column checked and found ok - the problem is anno-domini and a trapped nerve. No spares for that !
The car did have an unpleasant steering shake, always induced by one particular stretch of badly surfaced road. Renewing the top strut bearings, with standard, cured that.
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Post by Toecutter »

Tickover are referring to the solid billet roller top mounts not the the ones encased in rubber like the o.e ones, the rally design mounts are based on fords own design and are a tapered bearing encased in rubber mount, they also sell the spherical bearing top mount in the same type.

The solid adjustable top mounts Tickover refer to would really only be used on a track car on relatively level surface but some people fit them to road cars, Tickover advise against this as it can put a lot of stress on the inner wings without re-inforcement and other suspension parts would also suffer, I can't imagine using them on normal average roads, they would rattle the teeth from your head.

Shorter springs are indeed needed, I would drop by 2" if using them, a magic wallet would also be very handy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Toecutter wrote:a magic wallet would also be very handy.
:lol:

I think we've all found that to be the case!

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

peers.dupp wrote:
Toecutter wrote:a magic wallet would also be very handy.

I think we've all found that to be the case!

Andrew.
You've got several already, I reckon your the sites secret millionaire :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:I reckon your the sites secret millionaire :)
It's so secret even I don't know about it!

Andrew.
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

This will seem a bit expensive but I contacted Tickover
and I was quoted about £180 (that price might have gone up now)
and that is for a Pinto Crossmember that has been correctly modified to accept the 2.8 power steering rack.
I worked out myself that from buying that x-member, the steering rack, pas pump, and necessary pipes and brackets comes to under £500.
personally I think its worth wile as its pretty much all off the shelf stuff so not too hard to find spares and parts.
I am kinda in the same boat (no where near as bad as the poster) but my back and neck injury has made it harder to have manual steering now and the colder weather isn't help one little bit.

from a personal point I cannot see why the smaller engine Capris didn't get PAS
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

blitzy wrote:from a personal point I cannot see why the smaller engine Capris didn't get PAS
Hi,
Don't forget that equipment that is fitted as standard nowadays would have been expensive and considered luxurious thirty years ago.
pbar

Post by pbar »

blitzy wrote:
from a personal point I cannot see why the smaller engine Capris didn't get PAS
Yes, to reiterate what has been said, it's an old car, power steering just wasn't the norm then. More women began to drive, tyres/wheels got wider, cars bigger/heavier, etc. all made it more necessary. Coupled with the fact that, things naturally progress and advance anyway. Though that's debatable with many things.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I'm guessing that it was considered unnecessary due to the lighter weight of the 4cyl engines.Adding PAS would have been an unnecessary expense.