Gear Box Additives

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
AndyPandy56
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (1985)

Gear Box Additives

Post by AndyPandy56 »

I would appreciate your advice and comments regarding additives for gear boxes, please.
My '85 Laser has the original gear box with 247,000 miles on it, and it has never been touched, apart from a couple of oil changes over the years. It is currently filled with quite new 'ATF' fluid, and the gear changes are still quite smooth. However, it is now starting to make a little noise, and my local garage has suggested an additive (such as Molyslip) may help a little. He doesn't think it has yet got to the stage where it needs stripping/rebuilding.

Many thanks.

Andy. :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Gear Box Additives

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
247,000 miles and still going strong? Nice one!

Andrew.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Activ8
Check out the online video. I tried out that friction test at a show over ten years back (when current engine 2.0 litre was in it's first car) and bought a bottle - then bough a bigger bottle a couple of years later for box & diff & my 4x4. I still haven't managed to blow the 2.0 litre engine up yet with over 160,000 miles on it, about 50% more power going through it and regularly thrashed.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I've heard mixed views on using ATF in manual boxes - if yours is a manual that is. 75 - 90 semi synthetic might be a better option.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr