Rebuild or recon?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Rebuild or recon?

Post by NeilL »

Hi all
I've decided that I'm going to treat the 2.8 to a engine rebuild/recon over the winter. There is nothing major wrong at the moment but as I'm unsure of its service history etc I thought it might be prudent.
My question is do you think it's better to rebuild the engine that's original to the car or is a recon lump just as good? I know that a recon ranges from around £1500 to £1800 depending where you get it etc, but have no idea what a rebuild would cost! I suppose that dropping in a recon is a quicker soulition than a rebuild but how do you know if it's been a quality recondition?
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated (well most of them). And NO I'm not going to fit a pinto in it Terra Kotta!!!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Rebuild or recon?

Post by stevemarl »

Personally, I`d rebuild every time - esp. if you`ve got the whole winter to do it. Main thing is that you`ll know ABSOLUTELY that it`s been done properly, no corners cut. Secondly, it`ll be much cheaper. Thirdly - you can`t beat the satisfaction of knowing you`ve done it yourself; you`ve kind of created something.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I'd leave it well alone if you have no problems.
Seems every 2.8i engine issue on this forum is from someone who decided to tinker when nothing really needed doing.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

We'll it has no major problems. I noticed today that it seems to have an oil leak from somewhere. It's a little down on power. Does not smoke or have any excessive noises coming from it though. Tickover adjusted the tappets the other day which helped with the top end rattle. The oil leak is worrying me the most!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Neil,

Nice meeting you today and loved your car. Simply beautiful.

There's a lot to be said for leaving the engine well alone and just repairing faults, like the oil leak, as they occur.

A rebuilt engine with unleaded conversion from Tickover is £1650 + VAT (exchange). That's the thick end of £2K.

I would only contemplate a replacement engine if yours was beyond economical repair, which it doesn't sound like it is from what you say.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

I'd check the rocker covers area. Gasket(s) might be gone.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I'd check the rocker covers area. Gasket(s) might be gone.
That was my first thought, but Tickover would have replaced the gaskets when they adjusted the tappets. Best check that out and take it back if there is a problem.

Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

It was nice meeting you too Andrew. So jealous of your own 2.8i and it's nice clean engine bay.
I think I should have a good look tomorrow myself and maybe book it in to Tickovers for a health check before making my mind up. As you say Andrew it's a large amount to stump up for a recon if it's nothing major!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:That was my first thought, but Tickover would have replaced the gaskets when they adjusted the tappets.

Andrew.
Good point - forgot the tappets were done
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Run it until it rattles too much or packs up then mend it when it needs it. I've been trying to blow mine up for three or four years now but I can't seem to manage it...
If you've got 1 1/2 - 2 grand to spend then just buy another capri so you've got one to run when the other goes pop, then save up some more to mend it. Twice the fun :)
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Buy another Capri......now there's an idea. At least I'd have somewhere to park it when the wife leaves me and takes her car off the drive! Lol
I had it on the stands today and cleaned as much off underneath as I could. Ran it up to temp and I found two leaks, oil leak from the filter to cooler joint and a power steering fluid leak from one of the unions into the rack. Apparently the gasket is no longer available from the Capri club so I will have to obtain it elsewhere. As for the power steering union leak, not sure what to do with this one! The union is tight but the pipe moves a little in it! Further thought is required me thinks!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote: Apparently the gasket is no longer available from the Capri club so I will have to obtain it elsewhere.
Neil,
I bought a replacement from Tickover not too long ago, so they should have them in stock.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents ... p1657.html

The club have replacement PS pipes in stock.
http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... -injection
http://capriclub.co.uk/suspension-handl ... -injection

As ever, Martin may be able to help out with either of these parts.

Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Is the oil pump one easy to do Andrew? I take it that it's a drain of oil and coolant?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote:Is the oil pump one easy to do Andrew? I take it that it's a drain of oil and coolant?
Neil,
You shouldn't have to drain the oil, as most of it will be in the sump. You will lose some of the oil that's in the filter assembly though. You don't need to undo the coolant hoses, so no loss there.
You will need a largish spanner (can't remember the exact size 22 or 23mm maybe) to undo the nut in the centre of the filter hanger assembly. It's hard to get to, as there is loads of stuff in the way. The hanger will then pull off the spindle easily enough, allowing you to access the oil seal on the hanger assembly. I am assuming that you do have an oil hanger, as I have seen some cars where the filter screws directly onto the oil cooler. If this is the case, it's just a standard oil filter rubber seal.

If it's the larger seal between the oil cooler and the block that's leaking, you should now be able to access the nut in the centre of the oil cooler to unscrew it from the block. That's this one if you need it.
http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents ... p1654.html

The job should take around half an hour with the front of the car on axle stands.

Hope this helps,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Neil,
I forgot to say that the PS pipe union leak may be caused by a loose connection. It's worth making sure it's as tight as it will go before you fork out for a replacement pipe or rack.

Same goes with the nut in the centre of the oil filter hanger assembly.

Good luck,
Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Neill. I had a similar issue with the union on mine when I was replacing the rack on mine. Word to the wise - not sure which pipe you're looking at (mine was high pressure one) or what you'll be doing or might find, but they're really fragile. My pipe snapped. If that does happen try find a local hydraulic place to fabricate. They can match unions etc. I did that and it was half the price of Capri Club.

Mike
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Cheers for the warning Mike.
It's the high pressure one where it screws into the rack at the column. It seems to be as tight as it can be but the pipe is ever so slightly loose in the union! As for the oil cooler, I have obtained the o ring from Tickovers but they are out of stock of the one that goes against the block. They advised me that an oil filter sealing washer is pretty much an identical size though.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

NeilL wrote:It's the high pressure one where it screws into the rack at the column. It seems to be as tight as it can be but the pipe is ever so slightly loose in the union
As I recall, the end of the pipe is flared and the union sealed onto the end of it. If the union is tightly secured to the car but pipe is loose I would suspect it's goosed. Not suggesting you couldn't repair it but you'd need it off the car which is when they can snap.