Oil filler cap popped off?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Oil filler cap popped off?

Post by HampshireCapri »

Hi all

Recently been having issues with my 1.6 pinto engine cutting out at junctions on the odd occasion and idling very low, decided to check what was going on and potentially adjust fuel mixture and found my oil filler cap missing and my engine bay covered in oil? Got home and apparently girlfriend found the cap on the driveway this morning, unsure if this has happened today or another day..

1. What would cause a filler cap to pop off like that?
2. Would low oil cause my car to start cutting out at junctions on random occasions/idle becoming increasingly low?

Thanks
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Oil filler cap popped off?

Post by Peter-S »

Usual reason for the filler cap popping off is the crank case getting pressurised by exhaust gasses getting past worn piston rings. Is the engine smoking and burning oil at all as that would effectively confirm it. If wear is bad then, yes, the engine will probably struggle to run smoothly at low revs. A compression test may help diagnosis.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Post by HampshireCapri »

Thanks Peter.

I have been burning oil for some time and when having the tappets adjusted around six months ago was advised the piston rings were fairly worn.

I'll be keeping my eye out for another 1.6 or a 2.0 I guess!
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

Post by chris_v888 »

yep as peter said down to worn piston rings you could rebuild engine or try find another one good luck