FRONT BILSTEIN SHOCKS ISSUE

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

FRONT BILSTEIN SHOCKS ISSUE

Post by martinc92 »

HI ALL,

I have come to the conclusion I have a niggling issue with my front shockers. when I lean on and off lightly on the wing, me being a nimble 14 stone, :D there is a knock from the strut, seem s like its sticking (worse on nearside)

when I carried out my restoration, before removing the struts the bounce compression seemed fine, so I removed/replaced front springs -1", spring cup (but not strut top mount as seemed fine) and cleaned painted etc before refitting.

is it inevitable that the inserts need swapping, or is there anything to sort this problem??

Has anybody swapped them as I see Burton Power have replacements, but minor adjustments are required before fitting?

cheers.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: FRONT BILSTEIN SHOCKS ISSUE

Post by MS Injection »

martinc92 wrote:Has anybody swapped them as I see Burton Power have replacements, but minor adjustments are required before fitting?
Hi Martin

I swapped mine a few months ago. You need to drill out the strut a little bit. The new inserts are slightly wider than the original ones. That bit was quick and easy. It took me a fair while to fit them though due to threading issues. Not a problem or difficult, just a bit time consuming.

Mike
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Hmmm
Just because the top mounts 'seemed fine' doesn't mean they actually are.
Can you see any movement in the top mount when you bounce the car?

Here's the Ford recommended check on the top mounts:

Bounce the front of the car several times to settle the suspension, then measure the distance between the top of the winged washer and the body of the top mount. If the measurement exceeds 1.06" (27mm) the top mount assembly should be changed.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bug wrote:If the measurement exceeds 1.06" (27mm) the top mount assembly should be changed.
Hi,
Interesting, I'll have to try that on mine. Thanks for the info.

Andrew.
martinc92
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special (restoration) Isuzi D-Max pickup (daily driver) Hyundai Santa fe (for towing)

Post by martinc92 »

Thanks for the info ill give that a try and probably go for the inserts.

Mart