hhow do i lower my suspension

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
mantage
Car(s): ford capri 2.8i ford capri 1.6 laser auto bmw e46 rover p6 restoration project

hhow do i lower my suspension

Post by mantage »

my 2.8i sits too high there is about 2.5-3 inches of air between the top of the front tyres and the bottom of the wing
and about 2 inches at the rear,
i keep hearing about using lowering blocks on the rear, are these still readily available,
but what about the front are there different spring lengths you can get or does it work on poundage
Jake

Re: hhow do i lower my suspension

Post by Jake »

Fronts you need lowering springs, available all over the place cci, tickover, burtons, ebay etc
In spring lengths
Rears you need lowering blocks to sit between axle and leaf spring, again available from tickover, cci, burtons etc.
1inch 1.5inch 2inch
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

What jake said, try rallydesign aswell they have all sorts of different spring lengths and poundage. Blocks is the easiest for the rears and for the front you could always go down the coilover route which isn't too difficult a task if you want adjustable suspension.
Ratty as fuck
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I went -2" on my 2l, and tbh it could still with going a bit lower imo. There's no air gap but it's still not really "low". Another inch would be nice but much more complicated. Depends if you want it "slammed" or just to not look like a 4x4!. The rear I went for -1" blocks, new springs, and an axle x-frame. The x-frame I think pulls the springs a bit straighter? So maybe has a slight lowering effect. I'm considering taking out the blocks to give it a bit of rake - better stance, and also give better clearance over the obstacles the damn government insist on putting in the road to try ruin our cars :banghead:
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
All good advice from the previous answers, but don't forget that the 2.8 sits about 1" lower than the 4 cylinder cars anyway.
Therefore, I would imagine that a 1.5"-2" drop is the maximum.

Your current ride height sounds about right to me, personally I would leave it as it is, but I understand that some owners do want to lower their cars at the expense of ride comfort.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the front of the car should sit slightly higher than the rear. I can't remember where I read that, so can't offer any evidence to back it up, but someone on here will know one way or the other.

Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Other way around surely? Wouldn't a high front screw up the handling and look dodgy?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I'd lower the front first and see how it looks.
A few years back now a mate and I both lowered our 2.8i's at the same time
Both had -1" 175lb coil springs and a Skorpion X frame on the back.
I used 1" blocks on the back but my mate didn't bother.
You couldn't tell the difference!
Since then I've messed about a lot with lowering Capris and 9 times out of 10 I've found that lowering the front end tends to bring the back end down with it.
The main exception is if the rear leaf springs are fairly new as they tend to hold it up bit higher.

Also, any more than a 2" drop on the front will not only mess up the geometry but will also put undue pressure on the dampers.
Whatever you decide to do, get it all properly aligned afterwards.
Not just front wheel tracking on its own, as it is common for the rear axle to be slightly out of true, which will lead to the car crabbing and scrubbing out the front tyres.
Get the front end aligned to the back axle. You can't change the axle position, but you can at least get it set so that when the axle pulls the car round slightly the front wheels will run true at that angle (It's only very, very slight; not noticeable, but it will wear the tyres if not done right)
AndyPandy56
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (1985)

Re: how do i lower my suspension

Post by AndyPandy56 »

Not wishing to hijack this post, but perhaps I can also seek some guidance, please ? Having renewed the springs on my 1.6 Laser approx two years ago, my front end sits a little higher than I would wish. I understand that you can obtain standard poundage springs that are 1" lower, but can you obtain units that are only lowered by 1/2" ? Thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: how do i lower my suspension

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

AndyPandy56 wrote:can you obtain units that are only lowered by 1/2" ? Thanks.
Hi,

There's always the cheap option of cutting 1/2" of height off your standard springs.

Andrew.
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

I'd take some serious time to have a proppa read up.

I'd recommend getting hold of the Burton power Catalogue each section has some sound advice (engine brakes etc)

Also have a quick look a caprisport.com much as some people slate them he does take his cars out on the track.
So at least you know he can't be all talk.

suspension is one of those areas where if you get it wrong god do you get it wrong.

oh I'd like to recommend you have a read up of the Tickover web site.

Seriously don't go spending money just yet.

simply rule don't go too low or too hard, unless its a track car which bring me to my next point 1st decide what you are going to use it for mainly.
mantage
Car(s): ford capri 2.8i ford capri 1.6 laser auto bmw e46 rover p6 restoration project

Post by mantage »

ok found out why my car sits high, it has had the bilstiens removed and standard laser/s struts put on instead,
next do i go back to bilstiens or uprate the inserts with gaz /kyb ect and fit a lowered spring
also are all springs the same diamater