73 Capri rear quarter window (light)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
[email protected]
Car(s): 1965 Ford Thunderbird, 1965 Ford Mustang coupe, 1966 Ford Mustang convertible, 1973 Mercury (Ford) Capri.

73 Capri rear quarter window (light)

Post by [email protected] »

Seeking help understanding Capri quarter windows. I recently purchased a 73 for restoration, it came with two right quarter windows (none installed in the car). One window had a hole in it which I figured was for the latch, the other was solid, no hole. I inspected the left side and think the latch is glued to the glass with a chrome button covering it on the outside. I can not find a good photo or description of how the hinging works. I do have both Ford and Haynes shop manuals as well as their restoration publication but all I have learned is how to get the trim off but nothing more. Please let me know which glass is correct, how the hinging (at the door post) is suppose to work and finally how the latch connects. I have repaired all the rot, pulled the engine and transmission, detailed the engine bay and much more but this goofy window has me puzzled.
Thanks
Pothole Bob
canzus
Car(s): Mk1 5.0L
Mk2 2.8L

Re: 73 Capri rear quarter window (light)

Post by canzus »

Early model year '73s had glue on latches, same as the '72s. Late model year '73s
had bolt on latches. If you pry the chrome cap off the the latch on the outside of the
glass, you'll find a bolt...

As for the leading edge of the window, what we do here in the US is fill the channel
in the B pillar with Urethane windshield sealant, install the latches, and keep it closed
until the urethane sets. It has enough flex to keep the window operable.

Funny thing used to happen with the old glue on latches, you'd close a door, or hit
a bump, and the damn window would fall out, as the adhesive on the B pillar hinges
would fail at the exact instant the latch adhesive did...
SteveL
Too many toys to list...