Exhaust wrap

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Exhaust wrap

Post by MiniMan »

Hi all,

Currently doing some engine tidying up on my 1.6 laser Dreg. Sure this has been asked before but here goes...

I recently changed my exhaust for one of these sportex systems, 4 branch manifold etc... don't get me wrong for £200 great system but the manifold is prone to rust. I've tried painting but just peels off due to the heat, so since then I have stripped the whole manifold.

To improve aesthetics I was thinking wrap the manifold in exhaust wrap. Has anyone had any experience with this? is it good/bad... I've heard it can hold in rust/ force heat to escape in other areas (i.e. under drivers floor) causing issues!

Anyway would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Sam
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Re: Exhaust wrap

Post by dan the capri fan »

personally i wouldn't wrap my exhaust manifold in the exhaust wrap as the condensation that builds up rusts the manifold so ive been told. im saving up for one of them sportex systems for my 1.6 one day. as for your paint flaking off are you using the correct paint. should be high temperature paint you use for exhausts also did you paint straight onto the black paint the sportex systems come in? as that might be the reason because thats just storage paint and comes off when heated up. what you want to do if this is the case is sand all the black paint off and spray it in a high temperature paint. :)
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Or you could get your exhaust ceramic coated by this company.

http://www.zircotec.com/

:goodluck:
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Post by MiniMan »

Hi Dan,

Yeah mate, I stripped the whole thing down, used VHT primer flameproof and VHT silver flameproof, sprayed the whole thing up but it didn't last... From a previous post I was told the manifold reaches crazy temperatures and theres no paint (from an aerosol) you can buy that will stand this for long periods.

Thats why I thought exhaust wrap was the next best thing... Might try out this ceramic coating though.... do you know how much it costs?

Regards

Sam
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Post by Adlen85 »

When you say theres nowt you can use in an aerosol, what brand are you using? And failing that, I've got some great VHT stuff you brush on out of a tin :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MiniMan wrote: Might try out this ceramic coating though.... do you know how much it costs?
Hi,
It will be interesting to find out. My guess is......not cheap! Keep us posted if you contact them for a quote.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If it helps , the headers on my Capri have been there since 1987 when my uncle bought the car to NZ ( was UK new ) and they are still very much intact . I agree the rust surface don't look that good , which is at odds with me just paying out 300 bucks to have one of my shot guns rust browned. They coat the metal in some corrosive stuff and then hang it in a ( controlled ) damp environment and let go rusty........looks great :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Msteve
Donator
Donator
Car(s): multipla daily driver, 2.0s capri..

Post by Msteve »

ive been told by the bike lads that wrapped pipes will rust from the inside out. on a bike it's murder to keep the wraps clean so they get replaced regularly, under a bonnet and covering a setup like a 4 branch is a bit fit and forget so I reckon nice as it looks unless you're prepared to be dilligent and watch for them rotting I[d abandon the idea and save for stainless....
Image[/URL]

beige is the new black...
MiniMan

Post by MiniMan »

Perfect,

Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted... think I will avoid. Cheers for the advice

:P