dim headlights through puddles

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

dim headlights through puddles

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

Does anyone else get dim headlights when driving through puddles?
I know its the alternator getting wet but surely it shouldnt be able to get wet enough during some splash back?
At the very least not to clean konk out for 5 seconds then come back to life. Does anyone else get this mad issue?
Thinking of making a small shield up for it or something.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: dim headlights through puddles

Post by stevemarl »

Not the alternator, even without the alternator the lights should continue to run off the battery. The fault must be to do with the light circuit.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

...unless the battery is weak too maybe then?
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

vp-reynolds4 wrote:Does anyone else get dim headlights when driving through puddles?
Blimey, how deep are these puddles that you're driving through?

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

peers.dupp wrote:
vp-reynolds4 wrote:Does anyone else get dim headlights when driving through puddles?
Blimey, how deep are these puddles that you're driving through?

Andrew.
yeah , that's what I was thinking too :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

Should have elaborated. Its not much of a dim. If you switch on full beam and let the car idle (at least on mine) the headlights get just a touch brighter with a small tap on the accelerator. It only goes a tiny touch dim hitting the puddles.
Believe me they catch you out. On my back road they can hit spray lorry high only at 30 mph.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

They're 12 volt bulbs and will glow off the battery but the alternator will give a bit higher volts so they'll glow a bit more around tickover then glow a bit more at higher revs when the alternator gives full output. With the draw of the headlights on the system plus probably blower & wipers there will be more load on the alternator making the belt more likely to slip when it gets wet.
Check the belt tension - 1/2" on the longest run is fine.
Get yourself a multi-meter & check battery volts not running then battery volts at revs. Not long till cold nights and better to find out you have a duff battery now than when you need it one frosty morning.
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

I know for a fact the battery is in top shape. I recently bought a new one and it supplies that mad speaker I have in the back no problem with the engine off. I know its the alternator. Is that maybe a sign of wornoutedness?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

You started this thread 4 days ago ..... have you not checked the fan belt yet ????? :D
You could , if you were really keen (anal :P ) hook up a volt meter to the ciggy lighter and go look for a puddle ( bet it doesn't rain for weeks :D ) and see if there is an actual drop in voltage , and after you've arsed about doing that just go tighten the fan belt :xd: :lol:

4 days .... bugger me ! :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: ( bet it doesn't rain for weeks :D )
What in Northern Scotland? :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

(Posted in error)
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

Mc Tool wrote:You started this thread 4 days ago ..... have you not checked the fan belt yet ????? :D
You could , if you were really keen (anal :P ) hook up a volt meter to the ciggy lighter and go look for a puddle ( bet it doesn't rain for weeks :D ) and see if there is an actual drop in voltage , and after you've arsed about doing that just go tighten the fan belt :xd: :lol:

Id rather not “bugger” you but your right it doesn't rain for weeks up here. The climate is very off at the moment. Now I have checked the belt as I always do on my monthly anal check over of everything on my car. Read what I put to discover I'm telling you it’s the alternator itself. I only asked if anyone else had the same issue or is mine for the knacker’s yard.
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Post by Swishy »

Just seen this thread -

Would also be worth checking all earths - particularly the ones in the headlamp bowls - have caused me some grief in the past - especially considering problem involves water/puddles and they back onto the wheelarch.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

vp-reynolds4 wrote:
Mc Tool wrote:You started this thread 4 days ago ..... have you not checked the fan belt yet ????? :D

Id rather not “bugger” you but your right it doesn't rain for weeks up here. The climate is very off at the moment. Now I have checked the belt as I always do on my monthly anal check over of everything on my car. Read what I put to discover I'm telling you it’s the alternator itself. I only asked if anyone else had the same issue or is mine for the knacker’s yard.

Some smilies would have been nice .... Anyhow seeing as how the capri alt output does not go straight to the battery but is wired to the "ign on " side of the circuit disconnecting the alt is probly not a good idea ( the theory being that with the alt disconnected the lights should be dim all the time , not just when wet ) . This MAY prove the alt to be faulty .I cant recall the last time I found a fault that increased resistance when wet ( thus lowering voltage output ) so , If it is the alt I would say we are looking for a partial short circuit that is worse when wet. This sort of short should be visible as carbon tracking , or some other sign of heat or sparks , maybe melted brush holders, so if you take the cover off the alt , blow all the dust and shit out and have a butchers..... there should be something to see. Try the meter in the ciggy lighter , it would be helpful to know if its just the head lights that dim or everything in the car..... maybe switch the fan on to full speed and see if you can hear the fan slow down with the lights .... actually the more things you turn on ( rear window heater ) the more obvious the fault should be :)
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

I know the voltage is good. It measures a strong 13.6v dc and only drops to 12.7 vdc with a 52 amp load from a giant speaker. When i dissconnect the alternator it reads 11.9vdc and drops to 10.9 with the crazy subwoofer pounding death. When i hit the puddles it drops out completley as if the alternator dissconnected itself and 5 seconds later comes back strong. The laternator does get wet through a puddle but not terribly. No damage or shorting has been going on. brushes check out and so does the voltage regulator. It has no bad bearings but occasionally makes a continuous noise like somebody sweeping a floor on cold starts. I know it charges the battery sweet because it handles the subwoofer constantly which otherwise goes flat in a timed 34 minutes without. I really would love a new 75 amp alternator.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I have another theory....................

When you use the wipers to clear the spray off the windscreen, do the lights look brighter again ;)
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

nope nothing electrical changes the output of the headlights only puddles lol
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Post by NeilL »

I had the same problem with my old 2.0s! It took me ages to work it out, every time I went through a puddle the water put the candles out!!
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

NeilL wrote:I had the same problem with my old 2.0s! It took me ages to work it out, every time I went through a puddle the water put the candles out!!
Now thats funny!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Bug wrote:I have another theory....................

When you use the wipers to clear the spray off the windscreen, do the lights look brighter again ;)
Ha ha ha my 1st thought :lol: