Original Radio Cassette Value?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
souponherhed
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 24v Cosworth

Original Radio Cassette Value?

Post by souponherhed »

I'm looking to get an original cassette for my 1987 Mk3 Laser, but I'm pretty new to Capris so not too sure on the value of items, or too sure on what parts are actually genuine originals.

So, I was just wondering whether or not the radio/cassette in the attached picture is that standard original one for the Mk3 Lasers? And if so, how much are they worth in good working order? There's one on eBay, without FM working and with both knobs missing, for £120 + delivery, I have no intention of buying a non-working one though, especially at over £120.

pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Original Radio Cassette Value?

Post by pbar »

Someone might correct me, but I think that was original only on later Brooklands and possibly 2.8's? Original Laser stereo looked like this I think -

souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Okay, I only thought it was the one I posted because of Google images, and I'm sure I seen someone on here mention that the Lasers and the 2.8s had the same one, although I'm probably mistaken.

Do you know the value of either, in full working order?

Also, apologies for the huge picture in the original post, didn't realise it would show up so big.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

My 86 laser had the original stereo when I bought it and it was the 2 knob non digital type that is in pbar's picture
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I would fully expect the radio in the first photo to sell for around £150 on Ebay, if fully working.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The Capri brochure FA778 from March '87 (yes, really!) states that the Laser was fitted with the ESRT32PS stereo, which is the same as the 2.8 special item in the first photo.
Hope this helps.

Andrew.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does this one look good and original?

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I think that one has a different fascia plate to mine, and it doesn't have the curved top edges to fit in the dash. The Capri fascia may fit that radio, as it's the correct Ford code on the sticker. It looks like a later version to fit a different model.

Andrew.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Okay, but it's the same radio yeah? It looks identical to the one in the picture I found.

Only thing is, in completed listings on eBay, there are two ones that are different, they have a small green button next to the red button on the right.

Are fascia plates available for them?

Finally, do you reckon £75 is a good deal for it, with AM/FM and the cassette deck all working?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

souponherhed wrote:Finally, do you reckon £75 is a good deal for it, with AM/FM and the cassette deck all working?
Hi,
The fascia plate should come off when the knobs are removed and the correct plate can then be fitted. If you can do that, then £75 is a cracking deal.

My brochure from 1983 shows the other radio you describe, which is the SRT32P I think, fitted to the 2.8. The early 2.8 has a different stereo again, judging by the pictures. The stereo you have looks identical to the one fitted in the 2.8 special, except for the fascia plate.

Andrew.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Awesome, thanks for the help! Now to search for a fascia plate, just won that radio for £75 on eBay. It didn't turn up in any searches, it was in suggested items on the side, so may have been in wrong category, so no other bidders!

Can finally get rid of this cheap, non-working CD player that I currently have.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
For the replacement fascia plate, try Martin at Caprigear. He might me able to supply one, and he will definitely be able to offer correct advice.

Andrew.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi Souponherhed,

To coin a phrase. 'You Lucky, Lucky B*&%^$^$!!! I've been chasing one of these for a few weeks now and totally missed that one. I've seen the one on E'Bay for £120, just doesn't sound right to me when you read the info, but you've got a Bargain there mate... Well done!!! :mrgreen:

John.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I have the catalogues from June `84 and Feb.`85; both state rst21p (pbar`s pic) as fitted to laser, esrt 32ps fitted to 2.8.
Additionally I bought mine (coincidentally 30 years ago to this very day!!!) and it definitely had the rst 21p fitted.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:I have the catalogues from June `84 and Feb.`85; both state rst21p (pbar`s pic) as fitted to laser, esrt 32ps fitted to 2.8.
Additionally I bought mine (coincidentally 30 years ago to this very day!!!) and it definitely had the rst 21p fitted.
Hi,
That may be true for the earlier lasers, but the OP has an '87 laser, and the '87 brochure specifically states that both the laser and 2.8 special are fitted with the ERST32PS. Perhaps by that stage the stocks of the RST21P had been exhausted, and Ford were simply using up what they had left on the shelves?

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Quite possibly, didn`t realise it was so late...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Check this out (Right hand column, third paragraph down, about half way down the page)
This is the same brochure that I have referred to.
http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz28 ... 143614.jpg

It's amusing to note that under the title it says that the laser is "limited edition". Limited to what they still had left in the showrooms, no doubt!

Andrew.
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

yes :agree: your very lucky mate to find an original one for that cheap. i did look for an original radio/tape player for my laser but gave up in the end as there too expensive and hard to find the exact one for your car. so ive got a modern radio/CD player instead as it was given to me for free. as to my knowledge the radio type 1st pictured is original on all lasers, 2.8i specials and 280 brooklands capris as its the digital type. and i know that the early mk3 base models had no tape feature at all. :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Taff40ish wrote: but you've got a Bargain there mate.
I agree, you've got an amazing deal if the fascia can be changed to the Capri type. Let us know when you've fitted it.

Andrew.
souponherhed

Post by souponherhed »

Been a while, but it arrived Monday last week. Seems in good nick, although I've not tested it, not fitted it yet.

I'm now after an original capri faceplate for the radio, and an uncut dash fascia.

I'd also like some advice/help on fitting the original radio. I've taken out the CD player that was in there, and as I expected, the wire connections are completely different, the only one that's the same is the aerial.

I don't suppose anyone has a picture of the back of the original radio, with each connector labelled with what/where it connects to?

I'll get some pictures tomorrow of the wires/connections I have in the car, and the back of each of the two radios (original and the CD player), but the car wires are a bit of a mess with random connectors, cable ties and electrical tape everywhere.

Thanks again.