damp capri??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: damp capri??

Post by Noel »

Four and a half grand, and the seller is not even bothering to MOT it?

What IS the world coming to?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

For £4600 you could get a very, very tidy 2.0 in original paint & panels without a damp smell. If the car is sound and the guy will put a year's test on it and you can't find another then maybe risk it but consider that mint prices for a Laser are about 6 grand, mint for a 2.8 are twice that. Us 4 pot drivers get just as much satisfaction from our cars as V6 drivers but maybe spend a bit less on them. I'm always wary of fresh shiny paint and undeseal when someone wants to sell a car.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Having actually read the Ebay listing now, I revise my opinion. The seller states that the car is "all original", but you suspect that it has been resprayed. If it has had a recent respray and fresh underseal, I would not bother as the seller looks as though he is hiding something on the car. However, if the car turns out to be as original as the seller states, I think that it would be worth the money with an MOT.

Andrew.
lez0962
Car(s): vw touareg (daily driver) Renault traffic(works van)

Post by lez0962 »

Hello,
I knew the car had been painted before I asked the guy as my dad was a painter and bodywork guy so I know what to look for. The drivers front wing at the front is lower than the bonnet leading edge when closed and the inner lip is slightly longer leading me to think it's ha a front wing replaced at some point and it's starting to bubble around the side repeater. Again leading me to assume it's not 'original' as in the description.
I know some older cars are very well looked after but this was just too shiny etc.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
lez0962 wrote: I knew the car had been painted before I asked the guy
Did the seller admit to the car being non-original afterwards? Was he misled when he bought it, or was he lying when he claimed it was original?
lez0962 wrote:The drivers front wing at the front is lower than the bonnet leading edge when closed and the inner lip is slightly longer leading me to think it's ha a front wing replaced at some point.
I think it's only the genuine Ford wings that have the triangle cut-out in the double skin above the headlight bezel, so you could check that to see if they are Ford or not.
There seems to be a lot of question marks about the seller and the car now, and I think you have your own doubts.

Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

peers.dupp wrote:Did the seller admit to the car being non-original afterwards? Was he misled when he bought it, or was he lying when he claimed it was original?
Not necessarily malicious, might just not be what he would think of as "unoriginal", just a freshen up?

I'd get an MOT done, for £50 even if it fails it will give you an indication of how bad it is.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hi,
The panels are all straight the tailgate is spotless apart from one spot beside the rear window rubber and the doors and door jambs are all rust free. Even the spring hangers are ok and sills look fine, the only problem I have is the possibility it has no floor.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

-JC- wrote:Not necessarily malicious, might just not be what he would think of as "unoriginal", just a freshen up?
Hi,
I see what you are saying, maybe it's not malicious as such, but certainly liberal with the interpretation of the word.
Don't forget that Les thinks that the front wing has been replaced, the seller cannot genuinely believe that to be 'original'.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

lez0962 wrote:the only problem I have is the possibility it has no floor.
:lol:
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hello again,
I've been onto the guy again and asked if he would put an mot on the car and take £4200 as the interior will still need to be re-trimmed etc he came back with £4400 the price it reached as it stands with no mot.
Honestly need advice, do I push for mot, take the deal or push for cheaper deal. Sorry if I'm being a pain but I loved the capris I had in the past and would love another to cherish.
Thanks Les.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Les,
I would have to ask myself why the seller is reluctant to take the car for an MOT. Is he hiding something, or is simply too busy and doesn't have the time? I would hazard a guess that it's the former. A new MOT on the car is not a guarantee that everything is perfect, but it would certainly put your mind at rest.
Perhaps offer to take the car for an MOT, which you will pay for, and then offer £4400 if it passes. The seller's reaction to your suggestion might even give an indication of if he is covering something up. If he's not hiding anything, he's got nothing to lose and has gained a sale.
If I was in the seller's position and a new MOT was the difference between a sale or not, I would consider it a no-brainer.
In my opinion, the car looks stunning, no question. However, if it's had a recent respray and underseal treatment that is covering something up, in a year or so it won't look stunning at all.

Andrew.
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hi,
I'm going to take your advice and take another look on Sunday, this time I'm going to take a magnet to check the floor. Make an offer with an mot in mind and see what happens. I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks again for the advice so far.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

In all honesty it's not too tricky to get a Capri through an mot if it has been well maintained so for that sort of money I can't see any sensible reason for not getting a ticket on it and selling the car so the buyer can drive it away. I'd be very cautious.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hello again,
Other than the obvious brown metal is there anywhere/thing I should be looking at/for either underneath or inside the car?
Any help would be gratefully received. I'm going to see it again tomorrow and this time I hope to make a deal and join the rest of you enjoying a capri.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Just off the top of my head; rear spring hangers/mountings; scuttle and A posts,- anything else needing screen out; look out for blistering on roof a couple of inches behind the sunroof (there`s a reinforcement section under the skin which collects condensation & rots out from inside. Difficult repair.)
Other than that, poke around the floor (esp. footwells) with a screwdriver.
Good luck!
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hi,
Spring hangers were ok I checked last time, roof is fine too, as I've said my main worry is the floor. Just need to know it's weak spots.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

lez0962 wrote:I've said my main worry is the floor. Just need to know it's weak spots.
Hi,
If you are able, lift the carpets to check the condition of the floor on the inside.
Unscrewing the carpet retainers and releasing the carpet from the prongs under the pedals will enable you to move enough of the carpet to have a look.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:Other than that, poke around the floor (esp. footwells) with a screwdriver.
I agree, although the seller might not take too kindly to this, especially if you poke a hole in the floor! Try to do it when the seller isn't looking!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with it!

Andrew.
lez0962

Post by lez0962 »

Hello guys,
I got so much crap from my other half about this car that unless it was pristine there was no way I could have it, so I told the guy selling it I had to pass.
I think I will probably regret the choice but hey ho.
I would like to thank every one that has helped by giving me advice on this particular capri but I'm certain that at some point I will need your help again and I just hope I haven't peed you all off.
Once again thanks for al the help.
Les.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Probably done the right thing; if you`re not (both) totally convinced it`s better to try again another time.