Overheating issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Overheating issue

Post by HampshireCapri »

Every time I post a query here they tend to be solved by someone (last time points and condensor!) so hoping someone might be able to help

Basically my Capri 1.6 'L' overheats quite quickly when in standstill traffic (say 10mins or so) to the point where I'm reguarly having to pull off the road and turn the engine off before it hits the red. The car will cool down while moving at speed and also leave the heater on to pump hot air through the car but this only works when the car is moving (fans don't blow out hot air with the car at standstill) possibly heater motor issue?

I'm going to flush the radiator when I can and replace with new radiator fluid but trying to decide whether to fit an electric fan to it as well - anyone have any views on how well these work? Would upgrading to a 2.8 rad make a difference?

If anyone's tackled this issue before and has some advice it would be much appreciated. Overheating seems to be my main concern/issue an impacts how much I can enjoy driving without having to worry about traffic.

Cheers
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Overheating issue

Post by Mc Tool »

Is the fan ( you do have a fan ?) turning properly ? do you have the shroud around the fan ....gotta have that . Seems to me ( from what you say ) that the issue is one of air flow. there may not be enough air flowing thru the rad at a standstill ... and there should be ... that's what the fan is for. The fact that it cools ok when on the move suggest that it is relying on forward motion to push air thru the rad. with my crapi hot , at idle I can put my hand into the fan and stop it turning so the viscous drive cant be all that strong ( for fucks sake don't try this unless you absoloutly sure you have a viscous drive other wise you'll chop your fingers off.... and then how could you wave to policemen :xd: )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Yep, it could well be the fan viscous coupling that hasn't got the welly any more to generate enough air flow when hot.

Or it could be the rad does, as you suggest, need a good flush. The rad may be marginal on its cooling capability, and only the full air blast of moving at speed will make up for that and give enough cooling.

Remember that most cars were/are designed with well specified cooling systems.
If the radiator, fan and waterpump are all working correctly, they will we able to keep the engine in its correct operating temperature range under all conditions.
Unless you are modifying or changing the engine, you do not need bigger radiators or electric fans.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Noel wrote:Remember that most cars were/are designed with well specified cooling systems.
If the radiator, fan and waterpump are all working correctly, they will we able to keep the engine in its correct operating temperature range under all conditions.
Unless you are modifying or changing the engine, you do not need bigger radiators or electric fans.
This is true! It will be a component that`s failing, not a design fault.
And TBH if it only overheats at idle, it should be obvious if the fan is spinning near enough normally, (which is all it has to do at idle) in which case the viscous is probably doing enough and fault is more likely gunged up rad or waterways?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

If you have a plastic-top tank on the rad then source a metal one & try that. If you have a metal tank atop the rad then the rad is, as already said, getting gunged up inside and not transferring enough heat out. Budget around £100 for replacement or re-core which will be money well spent. Mine runs without a fan 98% of the time and I only use the leccy fan in slow traffic after a fast run.

If your heater fan does not blow on both speeds then make sure it is SWITCHED OFF or you risk a fire behind the dash. Best to get that checked and sorted, a new motor can be had to repair it. Click photo below for more detail: