dash lights

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
spud20s
Car(s): 84 ford capri 2.0 s (daily)

dash lights

Post by spud20s »

hi was wondering if anyone knows of there is a relay or something that controls all the dash lights. everything is dead, instrument panel, heater panel, cig lighter, clock and glove box light. the lights work outside when switched but nothing whatsoever inside. ive not really got any idea where to start looking. help anyone? thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: dash lights

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Do the horn and hazards work? If not, it's probably the no.1 fuse (16 amp).
:goodluck:

Andrew.
spud20s

Post by spud20s »

yeah they work. checked fuses. that was the first thing I went for but everything else on the car seems to work. I don't really want to rip the dash out a check all the wiring. not that theres much lol
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Try turning the dimmer switch fully to the left and then back to the right several times. I've known that to work sometimes.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My next guess would be the light switch on the steering stem , or the plug .If your #uckin good :xd: you can get them apart for a clean up . I used blobs of 5 min araldite to hold it back together , and there have been some on.............ah I mean Caprigear is sure to have a good spare :) . Have a butchers at the wiring diagram.......there is some weird shit going on there , looks like it was designed by monkeys
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
spud20s

Post by spud20s »

hi thanks for the replies. the dimmer is out of the equation because I've joined the wires straight together because I have LED instrument lights. looking at the back of the instrument cluster I found the wire that supplies power to the bulbs and then found the same wire on the switch which is putting out power when you turn on the side lights. I've basically worked out there must be a break in the circuit between the back of the switch and the point where the power must be distributed to all the lights. I've put in a wire from the back of the switch and joined it to the live for the cig lighter bulb and wehey we have dash lights. so not exactly sure where the problem is and how it happened but I've cured it. probably not the right way though.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
There are some good simplified circuit diagrams on this site:
http://ccscotland.fr.yuku.com/topic/151 ... 5zOrGdOU5s
Might help you to trace where the fault in the original wiring is.:goodluck:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

spud20s wrote: I have LED instrument lights. l
You do know they`re polarised & will only work one way round?
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

So! After several replies, have we now finally established that it was you doing something to it that stopped it working?
In that case, there's a fair chance you've caused it.
So step one is to go backwards through what you've changed until you find the answer.
Initially I'd try just unplugging and reseating the plug in the back of the instruments. Could just be a dodgy connection
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

If the glove box and heater lights also don't go then the fault is common to the dash AND other interior lights .... so not the plug in the back of the dash . By providing a power supply to the ciggy lighter you are now feeding power into that circuit at the middle or even the end , which is OK electrically , but is really hiding the real fault . I would get it sorted , I still suspect the light switch and if its falling apart it may well deteriorate further and possibly leave you without any lights ( at the worst possible time :) ) , and just in case you think your loosing the plot ..... the 2 tail lights DO run off different circuts with different fuses. When my switch packed it in I lost only 1 tail light , and not being used to pommy wiring , plus a bit of tunnel vision ..... I was there for a while :swear:
Hamish
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
spud20s

Post by spud20s »

thanks for the replies. the lights still turn on with the normal switch so I know it cant be that. it works now so I'm not going to mess with it trying to find the original problem. before I was replacing the led's every few months because they started flashing but now I've not had a problem at all. it's all coming out soon anyway, it's going zetec and I need to hide the wiring behind the dash. thanks guys.
chris_v888
Car(s): pontiac formula 400 (restoration project)

Post by chris_v888 »

hi there I have this same problams with my mk3 I've got the dash all out to fit a new alarm as a serton wife left with the keys lol so whilst I was doing this I noticed some winer's and that where cut as I forgot to lable them I wondered if anyone can tell me where Thayer go think Thayer are to do with dimer switch? gray x3 and 2 gray and yellow any help would help as it dose not look good with no dash in car driving around lol thank you and sorry for jumping on someone else's thred?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

chris_v888 wrote:Thayer are to do with dimer switch? gray x3 and 2 gray and yellow any help would help
Hi Chris,
The grey wires are the feed from fuse 2.
One grey wire goes to the heater illumination.
One grey wire goes to the cigar lighter illumination.
One grey wire goes to the dimmer.
There are two grey/yellow wires off the dimmer.
One goes to the dashboard clocks illumination.
One goes to the centre consol clock illumination.

I hope that helps.

Andrew.
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

right after gray wiers x2 become live when you turn lights on gray and yellow comes from the right hand side as you look at it along with the 2 gray ones I and the other gray and wellow wiers comes from left hand side of dash heater light looks all intackt thanks again for all help
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

well got the lights working now no rev counter fule Gage or temp gauge what have I done as Thayer where all working befor???? :banghead: :banghead:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

chris_v888 wrote:well got the lights working now no rev counter fule Gage or temp gauge what have I done as Thayer where all working befor???? :banghead: :banghead:
Sounds like the voltage regulator at the back of the clocks has gone.

Here is your info for that -

http://www.capriclub2000.co.uk/help-inf ... mp-gauges/

If you do not have a riveter, you can use a small nut and bolt to fix it in place.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hold your horses!
Before you change the voltage regulator, it sounds like fuse 7 might have blown. Check that first, but if that's OK there could be a fault with the black/yellow wire from fuse 7.
This also feeds the ignition warning lamp and the handbrake warning lamp, so if they are also not working, that is almost certainly the cause.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

thanks for the quick replys will look at them when I get in thanks all
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

No problem Chris, and good luck!
chris_v888

Post by chris_v888 »

thanks guys for all your help I think it was something I done with a soldered wider and and burnt 2 tracks out rerun 2 new wiers put it back in car and all working thank you all for your help