Webber 32/36 problem ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Martinlazer1.6
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 laser 1985 blue ( restoration project)

Webber 32/36 problem ?

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Hi , I have just fitted a 32/36 dgav . The only way you can start it is pouring a bit of fuel down the carb and then it won't tick over , it just dies when you release the throttle And you its difficult reving it .I have fitted a carb gasket kit , removed the jets and blew it out and cleaned it with carb cleaner .the jets are bigger than they should be I noticed though. The mixture screw I set to 2 turns out but don't seem to make any difference if I adjust it ? Any ideals , I don't know what to do , carbs are not my thing . Thanks for any help . Martin
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Webber 32/36 problem ?

Post by Peter-S »

If you take the top off the carb is there any fuel in the bowl? Sounds like the float needle might be stuck and/or the float level set incorrectly.
Also worth checking the filter under the brass inlet nut isn't blocked.
Presumably this is a second hand carb. Do you know if it was running OK prior to you getting it?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Well , I was told it came off a 2l 86 car , don't know when it was last used but the inside was a right state when I got it .jets blocked up . Cleaned it out whith carb cleaner , maybe still blocked somewhere ? Blew it out too . Cleaned filter before fitting it .fitted a new float needle too, will check the fuel level too .
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Have you pulled all the jets and :whistle: through them ??
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Yes , all jets was removed and cleared , think I will do it again to make sure .dont know what else to try , maybe I should have payed out for a new carb ?
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Yep!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

which jets have you cleaned - the main jets that unscew from the fuel bowl or have you done the idle jets at the side as well?

Whereabouts are you?
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

As far as I know I took all out , I'll clean it again today + jets . Maybe I missed an idle jet cos there's 2 isn't there ? I'm in Chatham , Kent
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Martinlazer1.6 wrote:As far as I know I took all out , I'll clean it again today + jets . Maybe I missed an idle jet cos there's 2 isn't there ? I'm in Chatham , Kent
Hmm, about 40 minutes from me. I haven't any time until next weekend but if you are still sruggling come then and want some help I could probaly come over.
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Go and help him Peter. Should have bought a bloody new carb anyway.
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Ok thanks , I'll see how I get on this weekend sorting it out , stripped it down again today , checked jets , blew it out , checked float height , seems fine , put it on , wont start now , didnt even try , will investigate tomorrow again , I'm steering closer to getting a new carb now , it's winding me up .
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Martinlazer1.6 wrote:Ok thanks , I'll see how I get on this weekend sorting it out , stripped it down again today , checked jets , blew it out , checked float height , seems fine , put it on , wont start now , didnt even try , will investigate tomorrow again , I'm steering closer to getting a new carb now , it's winding me up .
Just a thought - are the choke flaps opening when you press the throttle. The operating lever is held on with an 'e' clip, may have come adrift?
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

Timing maybe? Do you know if your timing is set correct, as if it's not it won't fire? Had the same sort of problem with mine when I first got her running
Ratty as fuck
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

!.6 pintos have been known to jump a tooth on the timing belt. They will run this way but very rough and won't idle. This could be your problem, and the remedy is to go back to basics which is not a bad plan for any non starter:

Check engine timing is correct, ie No.1 at TDC, cam at moon over mountains, rotor arm in vicinity of No.1 plug lead?

Points correctly gapped and opening and closing?

Use a bolt in the end of the plug lead, hold close to metal item on body (earth), crank engine on starter, check for spark?

Check fuel is flowing through carb in some way ie a fuel/air mix is getting to cylinders?

If you have all these things working then the engine will start and run. A non starter problem will always be one or more of these things not happening. It really is that simple.
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Ok . Thanks for your replies . I have removed it again , cleaned it , removed the jets and checked them , put it back on , it will run for about a minuite then dies , there always fuel in the filter so getting it to the carb . If I try to restart it strait away it just turns over , if I leave it 10 mins it will start again as before . I have set the mixture to 1 1/2 turns out . I know the timing is out cos of the work i have done to it ,but I can't set this until I can get it running , I have got it as close as I can . It would run on the vv carb I had before . I have new plugs , points, destributor cap , rotor arm , leads . Maybe it's getting too much fuel somehow and that's why it won't start strait away ( flooded ) ?? The choke e clip is on also and I checked the float level and think its fine ?
Last edited by Martinlazer1.6 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If, as you say, it was running OK on the VV it makes sense to focus on a problem with the new carb. Many people find they need the mixture screw out more than the couple of turns it `should` be; maybe try it unscrewed a bit more to see if it helps?
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

Tried more turns out on the mixture , up to 5 , still the same , beginning to think the carb is still blocked internally , b buying a new one soon I think .
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I guess sometimes you`ve just got to admit defeat? Can you shove the VV back briefly - just to make ABSOLUTELY certain that`s where the problem is, before paying for a new one. Just to rule out engine problems?
Martinlazer1.6

Post by Martinlazer1.6 »

When I bought the dgav I got given a dgv with it , I was thinking about swapping all jets and cleaning that out to try that ??
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Definitely worth a try - although if the actual passages in the carb body itself are gunged up it will make no difference. Ah, you mean use the DGV? Good idea!