Braided hose question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Braided hose question

Post by MiniMan »

Hi,

So I have some braided hoses to fit.

They arrived today but without the extra nuts?! Apparently they don't include these...I've been looking through ebay and think I've found the right nuts... is this what I need? (see link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10x1mm-Half- ... 461a75b17c

Also my mechanic said ... "if your changing the hoses could be best to change the copper connection (from the calliper to flexible hose this bit http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p768.html)" ... does this really need to be done... he said that it could snap/break if seized?

Anyway would really appreciate the advice before I fork out any cash

Regards
Sam
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: Braided hose question

Post by MS Injection »

MiniMan wrote:Hi,

Also my mechanic said ... "if your changing the hoses could be best to change the copper connection (from the calliper to flexible hose this bit http://www.tickover.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p768.html)" ... does this really need to be done... he said that it could snap/break if seized?

Anyway would really appreciate the advice before I fork out any cash

Regards
Sam
Hi Sam,

I have just changed front suspension on mine and the pipes are copper. My tame mechanic had previously said 'let's have a look and if they're steel, think about changing them'. The upshot is that steel ones can/will corrode (depending on their present condition and whether the car ever gets wet), and changing to copper sorts that out. But you don't have to do it as I understand, it's owner's choice. Probably should check the condition of yours and see what you're faced with.

Mike
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I would personally rather use kunifer on the brake pipes rather than copper.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I'd guess he meant that if the unions are seized then you run the risk of wringing the pipe off as it will turn with the union. If that is likely to happen then it's easiest to have spares made up and ready to fit.
scherrit
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0 street sleeper.

Post by scherrit »

Caprigear wrote:I would personally rather use kunifer on the brake pipes rather than copper.
Hmm curious- why?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

It`s a copper nickel alloy (cu ni....) it`s stronger than pure copper.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

And it doesn't turn green. Kunifer is the recognised industry brand-name top banana as far as brake pipe goes. I use it on mine.

If you're fitting braided brake hoses then it does make sound practical and financial sence to replace any original steel pipes on the callipers - if there's a hint of brown anywhere on the pipe then odds are that it'll fail an mot test before long and the nuts will have rusted so that the flats are half a size down from new meaning a spanner will probably slip on them and round off the flats. If you want to spend ages with a dinky file taking two opposite flats down a size... anyhow - good idea to replace them while you're in there.
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Post by MiniMan »

Brilliant advice thanks so much... as mentioned will probs get these ordered before tackling swapping the hoses

Can anyone confirm the link above are the additional nuts I need for the braided hoses?

Regards
Sam
MiniMan

Post by MiniMan »

And does anyone know where the best place to purchase all new brake lines, quality without breaking the bank!?

Sam