Viscous Fan Issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Viscous Fan Issue

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, replaced my viscous fan coupling a few months ago and I don't think it's working as my engine is getting hot really quick. I've recently replaced the thermostat housing and thermostat, and I checked the thermostat before putting it in there and it wasnt sticking. Now, the fan.....am I right in thinking that if you leave the engine running and it gets hot...after turning the engine off, the fan should be really hard to spin like a stuck fan?

Because my engine gets really hot...but the fan has no resistance when trying to spin it after the engine is off.

Thanks in advance.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Viscous Fan Issue

Post by Peter-S »

Why did you change the thermostat, was it running hot before then? If not then is the new stat fitted the correct way round and is it the correct stat.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jim

Post by Jim »

Peter-S wrote:Why did you change the thermostat, was it running hot before then? If not then is the new stat fitted the correct way round and is it the correct stat.
I replaced the thermostat housing as it had corroded around the top and just replaced the thermostat at the same time as the other was looking a bit bad. I noticed it had been running hot since replacing the fan back in September. The thermostat had 87degree on it which isn't 82 or 88 I know but is in between so shouldn't be an issue and also fitted in the thermostat housing fine and was of similair design to the one removed.

It's not heating up like silly quick, its heating up same as usual but it just seems to be getting hotter than usual...which makes me think the fan isnt engaging when it should be.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

It`s hard to tell with the viscous units. Mine feels looser than you`d expect when you stop the engine hot after a run BUT - I can sit for hours in a traffic jam on the hottest day of the year, or I can absolutely thrash it up mountains in Wales, yet the gauge has never, ever moved from the dead centre. Which I take to mean it`s working perfectly. Unfortunately the only real way to test is by substituting with a known good unit.
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

My fan is loose and free moving cold or hot. Slightly stiffer when cold but easily moved. I can even stop the fan when the engine is running. Thats how a viscous fan should operate. the problem must indeed lie in the new stat.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Okay, thanks for the help guys. I did take the car out on one of the hottest days of the year and the temperature went up to about half way which is more than the usual as it usually rests around a quarter. I don't think it had gone any higher when I pulled in the garage. As the engine got hotter than usual I just immediately thought there was a problem. I'll test it when I get it back from the garage on Saturday and hopefully it will go no higher than halfway.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

So. To clarify. It didn't actually go in the red then.

Out of interest. Have you had issues with your fuel gauge too. The two are linked so if you suddenly have a qtr of a tank more that's just appeared. And it's saying its running hotter. Then that's where your problem is.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , there is a voltage regulator on the back of the instruments , which feeds both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge , and Im sure mine is duff , low voltage , as my temp sits a needle thickness out of the blue when the water is 98-99deg C , and the fuel gauge wont go past 3/4 . When the needle is just drops below the red there are still 15 litres in the tank. Couldn't get a new reg so I just got used to it :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jim

Post by Jim »

Terra-Kotta wrote:So. To clarify. It didn't actually go in the red then.

Out of interest. Have you had issues with your fuel gauge too. The two are linked so if you suddenly have a qtr of a tank more that's just appeared. And it's saying its running hotter. Then that's where your problem is.

The temp gauge has never gone into the red. First time it has got this hot since hot weather last year. Fuel gauge was acting up long before the temp gauge ran this hot. My mechanic is cleaning the fuel tank contacts and I should get the car back this Saturday and will take it for a run then and see what happens.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jim wrote:. My mechanic is cleaning the fuel tank contacts and I should get the car back this Saturday and will take it for a run then and see what happens.
Your money to spend as you wish but owning a Capri is going to be expensive if you get a mechanic to clean the tank contacts and the like unless its a freebie. Hope it sorts it anyway.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jim

Post by Jim »

Peter-S wrote:
Jim wrote:. My mechanic is cleaning the fuel tank contacts and I should get the car back this Saturday and will take it for a run then and see what happens.
Your money to spend as you wish but owning a Capri is going to be expensive if you get a mechanic to clean the tank contacts and the like unless its a freebie. Hope it sorts it anyway.
Yeah, I know what you are thinking. He is good though, family have known him for years and he has done stuff to the car before for free. I was going to do them myself but as he is doing a few other jobs to the car this week, while he has got it, I just asked if he could do them quick. Thanks, fingers crossed it works!
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Yeah. But what Peter is getting at is you're slightly missing the point of having a 30 year old ford in the first place ;)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Terra-Kotta wrote:Yeah. But what Peter is getting at is you're slightly missing the point of having a 30 year old ford in the first place ;)
:agree:

Hi,
In my opinion some light tinkering is all part of the joy of ownership, and you get to learn about the different parts of your car. In addition, when you are tinkering you can often spot problems before they have chance to develop into something serious. You can always use your mechanic for the larger jobs if you don't feel comfortable doing those tasks yourself.

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

I don't think there's such a thing as a mechanic these days. More like robots called "fitters".
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Fit a new rad and bin the viscous for an electric fan. Your problems will all vanish.

Rich
Jim

Post by Jim »

Haha, trust me. I'm always out there tinkering with it and that is one of the reasons I got it. Well, I got it back from the mechanic. Runs like a dream and boy did I miss driving it. Temp gauge never went into red, idling or driving hard. Stay around halfway or just over at most. Fuel gauge is working a hell of a not better now. It stayed in position for quite a while at one point haha, couldn't believe it. Still not perfect, I suppose when you go down/up hill the the float will move with it, so it will never be amazingly accurate. Any ideas how to stop them corroding again.....was gonna whack a ton of grease around the area?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

wd40 every autumn?
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

A really awesome way to stop contacts corroding is a stuff called arbomast. It’s a window rubber sealant that auto glass use which never sets but is mad sticky. I got two tubes for free from my mad but helpful local auto glass man. I can spread that around the external contacts like panel sealer. It won’t ever come adrift by itself but also won’t ever set. It’s like a sticky play dough it’s not even that messy to use.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the tips guys. That window sealant stuff sounds good but can imagine it costing quite abit. I'll put some WD40 on there like steve mentioned and then whack some vaseline around there for good measure and check it and replace it every now and then/service.