new alternator - still flat battery :(

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
johnd444wph
Car(s): 2.0laser 86

new alternator - still flat battery :(

Post by johnd444wph »

Bought a new altanator from accuspark fitted it , it charges battery when on tester and incar voltmeter is sitting a about 3qauters of the way up when reving it , but soon as turn off leave it for a few hours the battery goes flat , much help please :(
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Re: new alternator - still flat battery :(

Post by 80s kid »

johnd444wph wrote:Bought a new altanator from accuspark fitted it , it charges battery when on tester and incar voltmeter is sitting a about 3qauters of the way up when reving it , but soon as turn off leave it for a few hours the battery goes flat , much help please :(
Is the battery ok? Mines as limp as an old mans fart. The alternator works but it dont hold the charge like it should.
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Battery is few months old been fine untill changed altonator I put plug on rong way on back of alternator tho at first then because it didn't charge turnt it round now it charges it but as if. The battery don't hold now when off ? Could I of fucked battery putting it round rong way ?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jesus Christ, is English not taught in schools any more!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If it`s charging OK, which it IS as the Ammeter is showing a heavy charge, then the alternator is OK. Also the battery is probably Ok as knackered ones tend NOT to take much charge.
Which means the most likely thing is a wiring problem, something is staying on & draining battery. You need to disconnect battery and reconnect through a meter (current range) (DON`T START IT LIKE THIS) and see how much current is flowing when ignition is off, should be a couple of mA. Any more and you need to look for boot light staying on etc etc
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote:Jesus Christ, is English not taught in schools any more!
Now there`s a topical issue.... :lol:
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Ok thanks will check that and yeah I failed english but I can talk it perfect who needs to be able to right english never got me a job n I've been working since was 16
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

johnd444wph wrote:Ok thanks will check that and yeah I failed english but I can talk it perfect who needs to be able to right english never got me a job n I've been working since was 16
I guess you mean 'perfectly' ????? :doh:
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Thinking its the plug if I put it in the correct way it wouldn't charge put it in over way and it reads that it charges but obv don't car was fine before changed it gona cut plug off n wire it up my self see what happens
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

Okay an issue I had was a deeply discharged battery. Modern car battery’s deeply discharge and alter the weighting of the acid level in the battery. This basically means the battery will appear to charge but lose charge on its own terms quickly with no draw. The only way to re-weight the acid level is to "bubble" the acid by overcharging it. Many battery chargers will bubble the battery but that takes hours. You’d have to drive halfway up the country and back for an alternator to charge it fully. Even then the battery needs about 15v to bubble which an alternator shouldn’t throw out anyway except for the occasional spike. Charge the battery on a mains charger overnight on a concrete floor away from everything else by at least a meter in a well ventilated dry area. Re install the battery and I’d bet it sorts itself out golden. As a side note the longer you leave the battery incorrectly weighted the worse the charge will become. The acid weights at the bottom and eats at the internal plate structure. Once it had undergone enough corrosion don’t expect it to charge again.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

johnd444wph wrote: gona cut plug off n wire it up my self see what happens
That REALLY doesn`t sound like a good idea - you could destroy the alternator.
vp-reynolds4 wrote:The acid weights at the bottom and eats at the internal plate structur

Acid isn`t in suspension like dust, the molecules won`t sink to the bottom like that. Apart from that, you`re right - stick it on a mains charger overnight, well vented, and it will probably make a big difference.
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

stevemarl wrote:
johnd444wph wrote: gona cut plug off n wire it up my self see what happens
That REALLY doesn`t sound like a good idea - you could destroy the alternator.
vp-reynolds4 wrote:The acid weights at the bottom and eats at the internal plate structur

Acid isn`t in suspension like dust, the molecules won`t sink to the bottom like that. Apart from that, you`re right - stick it on a mains charger overnight, well vented, and it will probably make a big difference.
Well no it doesnt sink to the bottom. I just used a simple explanation.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

You`re thinking specific gravity?
Anyway the point is - you`re right, he needs to get the battery on a charger overnight/24hrs & see how that goes, certainly before cutting up the wiring!!
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

Agreed!!!! No cutty the coloured wobbly pipe thingies!
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Didn't cut it its gota be the alternator when plugged in one way /correct way it don't charge but turn it over so it don't fit properly but does kinda it charges lovly but draws power when not being used ,poxy thing
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Not to sure what you plugged in the wrong way , but it is possible to damage a diode in the alt and this can cause a battery to flatten , As stevemari sez a couple of Ma, if its much more than that unplug the alt and see if that makes a difference .Standby current should be no more than your clock and stereo , GPS. Its not unheard of for a new battery to crap out :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Post by Toecutter »

As above, it is possible the battery got boiled due to improper or faulty voltage regulation. What was the problem with the old alternator? Was this battery used with the old one too?
johnd444wph

Post by johnd444wph »

Forgot to reply turned out to be the alternator bulb was blown I must of blew it when plugged it on wrong or it was loose I Carnt remember but that's what it was lol
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

That was three years ago?! Still, kudos for concluding the thread and explaining the issue, many don't bother.