Proposed 2.8i purchase

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: Proposed 2.8i purchase

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
I agree with you that the car is going to be yours, so you should get the model you want. I was in the same situation as you. The 2.8 was the Capri that I always wanted in my youth, so when I was in a position to finally buy one, only the 2.8 would do. If I would have bought any other model, I would have constantly been wondering what the 2.8 was like. I know I've made the right decision buying the 2.8, although it is true to say some of the parts are harder to source and more expensive than for the 4 cylinder models. There are people on this forum who will say that the pinto engined cars can be tuned to be faster than the 2.8, but not everyone wants to drive around like their hair is on fire! I find that my Capri is perfectly fast enough for me even if it is "heavy" and "underpowered"! It also makes a relaxed cruiser on fast A roads and the motorway.
I look forward to seeing the pics of your prospective purchase.

Andrew.
What you said Andrew!

I personally don't hate other flavours of Capri - I'd have one of each if I could.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I personally don't hate other flavours of Capri - I'd have one of each if I could.
Hi,
:agree:
I don't hate other models of Capri either, but as I could only have one toy, I chose to buy the model that I believe fulfils my needs the best. If money and space were no object, I could draw up a very long list! :) I think everyone on this forum appreciates everybody else's cars, even if it isn't the model they would buy themselves. We're all here because we love the Capri in all it's forms! Feel the love, brother! 8-)

Andrew.
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Post by NeilL »

Update guys

Pick up my 2.8i Special on Saturday! £4000 so less than i had budgeted for. She is very original except for the parcel shelf, great condition with a perfect interior. Photos will follow once i have worked out how to get them on here!
Thanks for all the advice.
:applaud:
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

PhotosImage as promised.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Congratulations! :applaud:
The car looks a beauty, lacquer red always looks stunning on a Capri. 8-) Apart from the parcel shelf, what else needs doing? From the picture it looks to be in fine fettle!
You should post some more photos in the members cars section, so we can get a better look.

All the best,
Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Thanks Andrew

The only other problem is some very light bubbles on the filler cap, but another is being supplied with the car!
Do you know where i can get a complete parcel shelf from? i know the Capri Club sells them but you have to use your hardware which i won't have!

More photos will follow soon.

Neil
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote:Thanks Andrew

The only other problem is some very light bubbles on the filler cap, but another is being supplied with the car!
Do you know where i can get a complete parcel shelf from? i know the Capri Club sells them but you have to use your hardware which i won't have!

More photos will follow soon.

Neil
Hi Neil,

As you've probably noticed there aren't that many decent parcel shelves that come up for sale. It's always worth asking Martin, of course. Sometimes they come up for sale on Ebay, it's worth keeping an eye out. The other option is to buy a tatty shelf and use the donor bits to put on the CCI shelf.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi again Neil,

Do you mind me asking where you bought the car? I don't believe I've seen that one advertised on the sites I look at. You don't have to say if you don't want to, I'm just being nosey!

What is the mileage of the car, and does it have any history? As I said, from the picture it looks to be a good purchase. :)

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

NeilL wrote: Do you know where i can get a complete parcel shelf from? i know the Capri Club sells them but you have to use your hardware which i won't have!
I thought that the CCI sold the bit's now also. I'm sure I've seen them advertised. Would be worth a call. Nice car by the way.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

That looks like a good one Neill! I echo Andrew, I didn't see it listed so I am curious where you found it. Bodywork wise on that photo is nice. How is it on closer inspection?

Now you know how to do photos please do get some up. Would be great to see them
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. Bodywork wise she is in great condition, in fact the paint looks original but of course it's hard to tell. She must have had some work in the past or i have just been very lucky! The fuel flap has a tiny amount of bubbles along the bottom edge but as i said, he is giving me a replacement flap with the car. The near side rear quarter just below the bumper corner has three small bubbles about the size of a one penny coin but i have been quoted around £120 to sort this out. Underneath she is in good condition being waxoyled from new. I lifted the carpets and found no problems. Still has all of the original ford stickers on the boot floor etc. The interior is in very good condition with no wear to the leather on any of the usual bolsters etc. The previous owner had fitted a modern cd and had sold the uncut dash and original (working) Ford radio to a mate, however he offered to try and buy it back and refit them if he could keep the modern cd! i'm pleased to say that he managed to do this and has refitted both this morning!
The only modification she has is a full stainless janspeed system and manifolds.
She has a aluminium disc on the slam panel with "No manufacturers warranty" embossed on it, i have been told that this was fitted if the car was sold to a Ford employee or used as a demonstrator.
The mileage reads 30679 so i presume that is 130679 although with the condition of the car it possibly could be correct but i'd be very surprised! unfortunately there is not a large amount of history with the car, the seller has known the car for about fifteen years and told me that the history had been lost in a house fire before he owned it!!! (i know what you are thinking).
She was on flee bay a few weeks ago and sold for £4100 but the buyer couldn't complete as his sale of his Triumph Stag fell through. I missed the end so i just emailed the seller to see if the sale went through as we all know what ebay can be like!!
I took the fire thing with a pinch of salt and just went on gut feeling when i met the seller. He has another 2.8i in his garage and a Sapphire Cosworth on his drive along with two Land Rover D2's! He lost his storage at his mothers house when she downsized so has had to thin out his collection.
All in all i'm very pleased with the purchase. I'm picking her up around lunch time and i'll let you all know how i get on later. Typically it's pouring down here at the moment so it could be a little exciting on the drive home! lol
I'll put some more photos on the members cars page later.
Regards
Neil :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Neil,
Oh, so this is the same car that you viewed on Tuesday? It sounds like a decent car. :)
I personally haven't heard of the no warranty disc, but I assume you've done your own research and confirmed that what the seller is saying is correct. I don't see the 'no warranty' as being a problem at all, if that's the case.
The full Janspeed system and manifold is a great upgrade, and worth around £900 fitted, and of course, being stainless means that it shouldn't need replacing.
The mileage at 130,000, if genuine, won't be a problem at all. Some people would walk away because of the lack of history, I personally feel that the condition of the car now is the most important thing. On a thirty year old car it is perfectly conceivable that some of the previous owners have lost/ disposed of the history. It's nice to have, but the lack of it is not necessarily suspicious on it's own.
Glad you're sorted with a 2.8, and welcome to the club! :) 8-)

All the best,
Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Plenty of people don't keep a car's history. If you checked it over carefully for rust, ran the engine and drove it you know whether you have a good 'un. Be ready for it to take over your life!

Personally, it is good to hear it has a stainless system. I love the purr of a 2.8 on a standard type set up but it growls on stainless steel - even 'pops' occasionally like a V8. Mine came with stainless (but not Janspeed).

Enjoy the drive home, watch the back end if it's wet out! Look forward to a lot of pictures.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote: Be ready for it to take over your life!
:agree:
:lol: That just about summarises the whole Capri experience!

Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Hi all
Update after the drive home.
Well it's just how i remember a Capri! no brakes to speak of but gives plenty of smiles!!
She runs very well, the gearbox is sweet as long as you don't try to ram it home! no noises from the diff or box. Sounds great through the Janspeed system. Got plenty of looks and waves whilst in traffic. Pulls well and the steering is fine. No knocks or squeaks. Heater works on both speeds.
Found a parcel shelf in good condition for £120! does that sound a reasonable price?
Temp gauge sits at about quarter of the way up the gauge and oil pressure is between quarter and half way depending on revs. Is that about average?
Question regarding fuel, the seller said he used super unleaded then every other tank full he used an additive that had the measuring bit on the top of the bottle! what would you guys recommend?
Cheers
Neil
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Hi
Photos added to members cars page.
Neil
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Neil,
Glad you had fun on the drive home, that's how a Capri should be! :D The car sounds as though it drives just how it should. 8-)
The price for the parcel shelf is about the going rate. You didn't waste any time buying one, did you?!
Temp and oil gauge readings sound about right to me.
I use super unleaded in mine (Tesco 99 is reckoned to be the best, although I use Shell) and add Castrol valvemaster every time I fill up.
You can alter the ignition timing to run better on regular unleaded, it's up to you, really.

All the best,
Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi Neil,
Glad you had fun on the drive home, that's how a Capri should be! :D The car sounds as though it drives just how it should. 8-)
The price for the parcel shelf is about the going rate. You didn't waste any time buying one, did you?!
Temp and oil gauge readings sound about right to me.
I use super unleaded in mine (Tesco 99 is reckoned to be the best, although I use Shell) and add Castrol valvemaster every time I fill up.
You can alter the ignition timing to run better on regular unleaded, it's up to you, really.

All the best,
Andrew.
Hi Andrew
Haven't bought the parcel shelf yet, thought i'd check around to see if the price was ok but will contact the seller tonight.
Thanks for confirming the readings for me. I nearly bought some of the Castrol Valvemaster in Halfords this afternoon but i thought i'd check what everyone else thought/used first.
Just had another poke around with a torch and removed the headlight inspection covers etc. I really can't believe the condition! i have been a very lucky boy because i seriously can't find and signs of rust except what i have mentioned!!! The old girl seems to have been very well looked after. The only thing i have found is the screen is showing signs of delaminating around the rubber (white fog). Tappets are a little noisy on start up but soon quite down once warm.
Do you know if you can get the steering wheels re-furbished? mine is not worn through or split but feels a bit rough in places due to age.
Regards
Neil :D
DCDave
Car(s): 82 Capri 2.8i 4sp
Integra type R

Post by DCDave »

Congrats Neil, that looks and sounds like a lovely car. Everything sounds as it should be including the lack of brakes!

The rust bubbles you speak of are in a common area, a relatively easy fix, just make sure that it's cut out and new metal butted in rather than filled up. Lot's of waxoyl and enjoy it mate!

Look forward to the updates 8-)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote:Do you know if you can get the steering wheels re-furbished? mine is not worn through or split but feels a bit rough in places due to age.
Hi Neil,
The Injection Special steering wheels crop up on Ebay quite often for around £30-40 in decent condition. I would have thought that it is more cost effective to buy a replacement than to have your wheel recovered. It can be done, but I believe that it is quite costly.

The Castrol valvemaster is quite costly in Halfords, isn't it? Some people add it to the petrol every other fill because of that, but it's up to you really.

Andrew.