Proposed 2.8i purchase

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
NeilL
Car(s): 1984 Laquer Red 2.8i Special.

Proposed 2.8i purchase

Post by NeilL »

Hi all

New to the forum so be gentle! I have been to look at a white 1984 2.8i that belongs to my wifes friends other half today and i'm after some advice please.
This car is in fantastic condition with a ultra low genuine 41000 on the clock! He is not using it enough and is now willing to sell it to me, and after many months of gentle persuading my wife has given in!
He is not sure what he wants for it and i'm not sure what it's worth! the last Capri i owned was in the early 1990's and was a 2.0s which i was given as the guy owed me £200.00!! lol. Now i know it's difficult to put a price on it but any ball park figures would be appreciated! i don't want to insult him with a stupidly low offer, but i don't want to end up paying over the odds either!

Cheers all
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Re: Proposed 2.8i purchase

Post by coyb1878 »

Hello Neil. People are going to tell you its very difficult to answer this, there is quite a wide range of prices from low to high and everything in between.
Pictures would help.
I would start on the For Sale section of this site, there is a white 2.8 on page one for 3k for example. Have a trawl through the ads on there from the past year and get a feel for what a pricey one has over a cheaper one.
Then you have eBay too, you'll fine a few on there.
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Post by 80s kid »

Welcome mate.

If he doesn't know what the cars worth then go get yourself a good price. Atm I'm in the process of trying to get another 2.0s off a bloke for 200 quid even tho its worth much more. Why? Cuz I don't want to spend loads and he hasn't got a clue about his car plus he is the type to just take money and run. I'm hoping he is as dozy with this car as he is everything else.

How much do you want to spend mate?
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Hi
It's a difficult one i know. He has had it for quite a while and i know he's spent a fortune on it. He is fully aware that he is never going to get the money back but i don't think he is willing to give it away.
It has had work but this was all done by Tickover in Dartford and is a very good quality! He had a replacement roof as there was some rust just behind the sunroof panel! he could have just had this area repaired but didn't want to do a half arsed repair! It's been painted within the last couple of years but again it's a very good job! Great service history etc with it. The only things i could find wrong were, a sloppy gear lever and the dash panel has been cut for a modern cd player!
My budget is around the 5k mark. I don't want anything that requires panel work/welding for the next few years, as i don't have the time or space to do this!
Cheers
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Neil,
Welcome to the forum.

As coby1878 suggests, you can search classifieds to compare the condition and mileage of cars for sale with the car you are hoping to buy. This will give you some idea of what to offer.

I would go in at a lowish fair offer. He will, no doubt, mention a highish fair offer in return.
You then haggle it out until you agree a price you are both happy with, which will hopefully be below your £5K maximum. Even if your opening offer is too low, he won't be so offended that he won't sell the car to you! A good final sale price will be one that you are both happy with.

It sounds like a great car to go for, hope you get it! :goodluck:

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Fkn hate 2.8s
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking on various sites including flee bay over the last few months and prices seem to vary so much! there is a nice burgandy special that's up to £4600 already! but it's got 130000+ miles on it! there is a couple of early 2.8i's that look ok but one is up for £7500! I think i'll mull it over for a couple of days and make an offer. He's in no hurry to sell so i'm not rushing into a rash purchase!
I'll keep you all updated and post some pictures when and if i get it home!

Thanks
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

NeilL wrote:Hi
It's a difficult one i know. He has had it for quite a while and i know he's spent a fortune on it. He is fully aware that he is never going to get the money back but i don't think he is willing to give it away.
It has had work but this was all done by Tickover in Dartford and is a very good quality! He had a replacement roof as there was some rust just behind the sunroof panel! he could have just had this area repaired but didn't want to do a half arsed repair! It's been painted within the last couple of years but again it's a very good job! Great service history etc with it. The only things i could find wrong were, a sloppy gear lever and the dash panel has been cut for a modern cd player!
My budget is around the 5k mark. I don't want anything that requires panel work/welding for the next few years, as i don't have the time or space to do this!
Cheers
If u got 5k to play with mate id offer him 2 or 3k and use the rest to put little things right. You can get a good car for 5k.
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Post by coyb1878 »

Terra-Kotta wrote:Fkn hate 2.8s
Noted Glyn, thanks ;)
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Ditto :agree: :agree:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

"£4600 already! but it's got 130000+ miles on it"

Not a problem! If it runs well without noisy axle then it's fine. It's a quarter of a century since they stopped building them so most will have plenty miles on the clock.
Any 'Fantastic' condition Capri should be worth over 4k, there are three for sale in this month's club mag at ten grand!
The pertinant issue here is that personal link. If it is a sound, very tidy car needing no more than the brakes bleeding, fresh oil & wiper blades and you offer three grand then he might be a little put out and decide to keep it. It does sound like the car you're looking for and your budget is there to be spent Get your misses to tell her mate that you've got five grand to cover buying & insuring a Capri and let the women sort it out.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

I like the idea of letting the women sort it out. Now could I persuade them to fight it out in bikinis and covered in baby oil???
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote:I like the idea of letting the women sort it out. Now could I persuade them to fight it out in bikinis and covered in baby oil???
Now that's an idea!

Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

NeilL wrote:I like the idea of letting the women sort it out. Now could I persuade them to fight it out in bikinis and covered in baby oil???
Forum policy for videos to be taken of such events and posted ASAP.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

You have obviously never met my wife!! I don't think you would want to see that dvd!
Wilky

Post by Wilky »

Pathetic
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

NeilL wrote:You have obviously never met my wife!! I don't think you would want to see that dvd!
Haha :) im sure she would thank you for that mate :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

NeilL wrote:You have obviously never met my wife!! I don't think you would want to see that dvd!
Hi,
We'll take your word for it, but she can't be all bad if she's allowing you to buy this new boy's toy!

Andrew.
NeilL

Post by NeilL »

There is always a flip side! As I am selling my Discovery V8 to help finance the Capri, she wants something bigger than her Mini because there is no way she's going near the Capri!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Neill

I'm no expert at all. But having just bought a 2.8i in the last 2 weeks, and having spent a good while looking, it is my experience that less than £4000 will generally get you something in need of restoration. Sort of £6500 and more would get you something that probably needs very little doing.

Pics would help. But like any Capri:

If it's rust free around A posts, strut mounts, tailgate and tailgate hinges, floor pans, wings around headlights and rails, sunroof and wheel arches it's much less likely to be a money pit. My own is rust free on those bits except one rail which I can live with.

If you have an uncracked dash with working heater and original stereo as well you know you're probably onto a good thing.

In the experience I had of the classifieds, a car like that with average mileage and running well was £5,500-£6,000. But each one is individual. Being relatively rare cars in general, Capris are worth what somebody is willing to pay. I also found them to be cheaper up north particularly those living in rural communities. They didn't seem to know what they were sat on.

Good luck