removing front valance from a donor car

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

removing front valance from a donor car

Post by coyb1878 »

Hi all

I have the opportunity to get the front valance from a donor car. But need some advice how best to get it off in good shape please.

Thanks
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Re: removing front valance from a donor car

Post by Big Mike »

Sorry dude I don't have an answer but just wanted to say I'm glad you've got the opportunity to get that sorted, I felt your pain when you buckled yours like that so soon after getting your car!

Mike.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I would just say to cut it out with a good bit of the surrounding metal too, i.e., the seams at the side - don`t try to cut along the seam, cut on the wing side so you don`t damage the panel you want if you`re with me? You can always trim & grind any XS off afterwards, much easier than putting it back! :roll:
coyb1878
Donator
Donator

Post by coyb1878 »

Thanks Steve that's pretty much what I figured but good to have it confirmed.

Big Mike, thanks for your kind words.

Actually I think I can take pretty much what I want from the donor car. I should take advantage to the max I think (though not sure where ill put the all the bits!). There is no interior or engine, but I'm thinking I should take the windscreen and windows, petrol tank and fuel sender if its still there. Whatever I can find that might come in handy. If you can suggest handy bits I might easily not think about please do.. not done this sort of thing before.

I'll post a pic of the car later.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

If you can, take every last bloody part! you never know when you will need even the most obscure item.
I totally gut every car I get in.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Caprigear wrote:f you can, take every last bloody part! you never know when you will need even the most obscure item.
That is absolutely the truest thing you`ll read on here! The only way to keep `em going.
coyb1878
Donator
Donator

Post by coyb1878 »

Alright, thanks guys :beer:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I got dibbs on a black 2.0S bootlid a few years back down in kings Lynn for 40 squids, geezer said I could have other bits too as he just wanted the axle. I took a big trailer & 4x4 and filled both for £200 which is what he paid, took all day, scuttle panel, a wing, battery tray, every clip & trim bit. Still using bits now & the rest is in the front room but don't try that if you have a woman in the house.
Use plaggy tuns for things like master cylinder, res & servo so you don't get fluid leaking from the bottom of your spare bedroom wardrobe!
coyb1878
Donator
Donator

Post by coyb1878 »

I'd love to just get the car and have it trailered to my place for a couple of weeks so I can go to town on it. It was kind of included when I bought my 2.8 from the owner of a local garage (it was his car which he bought the donor car for parts for). he said I could take anything I wanted from it. Its been sitting in his garage yard and I haven't been back yet because a) I dont get a lot of spare time outside work and family and b) I really didn't know anything about Capri so wanted to wait until I had learned a bit more, which thanks to everyone here I have.
But I found out yesterday that he's now sold the garage and its under new ownership. The new guy is supposed to be a nice bloke I'm told but he wants to tidy the premises up and so that Capri shell ain't going to stay around for long I imagine. So I need to get down there and see if he'll honour the loose arrangement I had with the previous guy. Fingers crossed.