3.0s needed

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Monza
Car(s): Bmw530d
Bmw325 cab

3.0s needed

Post by Monza »

Hi guys new to forum,
Been reading through very helpful site..
Anyway, late forties want the car I never got round to having. A lovely 3.0 s can you give me an idea of prices and does anyone know of any.
Regards Dave
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Re: 3.0s needed

Post by Sonic »

Hi Dave,

3.0s are quite desirable and with Capri's now making over 2K your prob talking 3K upwards for a decent one.

Keep your eyes peeled on the the for sale section, autotrader and a few of the local capri clubs websites.

From experience, when your looking one, you can never find one. Then when you get one, everyone will be telling you, your next door neighbor is giving one away.

Best of luck!
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Many three litres are re shelled now as they rusted badly. Some use the 2.8i shell and some are 2 litre S models that had a running gear change so will say engine size on log book and Capri S, hence "become" a 3.0S

There are probably more hum dingers put there than genuine 3.0S models so be very careful as I've been caught out with a 3.0s I owned that had a 2.8i shell.

Be very careful and take someone that knows thier unions with capris to view as to the untrained its very easy to spoof a 3.0s

I think for a good usable genuine 3.0s with correct trim and a genuine 3.0 colour and the correct parts you're into nearer £5k upwards now.
Monza
Car(s): Bmw530d
Bmw325 cab

Post by Monza »

Thanx.
Is there any tell tails to it being a real 3.0s. I've been led to believe there is an extra plate under the front strut.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Monza wrote:Thanx.
Is there any tell tails to it being a real 3.0s. I've been led to believe there is an extra plate under the front strut.
There's extra plates on strut tops (look like it will have had top plates put on) and triangulated sections under wing on strut tops and at back of engine bay BUT the 2.8i shells also had all these but a giveaway on a 2.8i shell is three holes on inner wing top right hand on engine bay where the ellectronic ignition module would have been mounted if it was a 2.8i shell. These normally get a skim of filler but you can normally tell by looking up underneath the passenger wing.

I'd say a good half of three litres out there have had a re shell at some stage. The spoof two litres that have simply had the Essex dropped in and a cc change on the log book are dead easy to spot.

You really need to take someone that really knows about capris to spot a fake.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Also the battery and tray are located on the opposite side of the engine bay as compared to the 2.8i. :goodluck: