Rear wiper

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jcanty85
Car(s): 1.6 ford capri

Rear wiper

Post by jcanty85 »

Hi all, I have a couple issues with the capri that I was hoping I could get some help with. Firstly heater isn't working which on it's own I don't necessarily mind. Secondly no dash buttons seem to be working. At first I thought it was just the rear wiper was burnt out but I ran a new power supply to it and it works fine. Then I thought it might be the push contact on the boot so I sanded them down, still no help. Basically I am wondering if there is something I have overlooked? Could these problems be related? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm a complete novice..
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Rear wiper

Post by stevemarl »

Sorry if I`m stating the obvious, but have you checked the fuses? I think #6 is rear wiper + wash.
jcanty85

Post by jcanty85 »

Yeah I've checked them, all fine. Think I might sand down the contacts just in case as it has been standing a while but don't think it'll work.
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

If none of the dashboard switches work have you checked to see if any ae even connected? they could have been neglected by a previous owner who tried under dash repair work.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

The heaters never work. The motor in the blower has issues with it's brushes and the ballast resister is made of the most fragile substance known to man. If either of these are the problem then you can get replacements easy enough.
Jayman
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6
Renault Clio 3
Jaguar XJ

Post by Jayman »

My car was the same when I got it, no interior lights worked either. I just cleaned up all the contacts and there was only the heater motor out of the lot that was actually broken.
Since I got a capri I've said "over the moon" a lot more than ever before.
Joshy
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0

Post by Joshy »

Heater motor is a pain in the arse but do-able. As mentioned previously the resistor is made of what can only be described as chalk.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Hot_Protein wrote:The heaters never work. The motor in the blower has issues with it's brushes and the ballast resister is made of the most fragile substance known to man.
They are all around 30 years old though! Some original ones do still work, and the motor is still available new of course. Must be one of the most whinged about Capri parts, yet fixable at home.
jcanty85

Post by jcanty85 »

Tried cleaning all contacts, boot, fuses, contacts on switches.. Still no buttons on dash working. Am I missing something simple. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence for all four switches to fail
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

You`re sure they`re actually not working, not just the bulbs don`t light. (For eg, can you tell if HRS is working or not without steam?)
Also, I may be wrong, but doesn`t the rear foglight only work if headlights are on, or is that on later cars?
The rear wiper, you best check you have a voltage on the copper `pad` where it connects to body; if there`s a voltage there you need to follow wiring in the tailgate from motor to `plunger`
Rear washer, pull plug off pump & check voltage to rule out dead pump.

As said previously, it could even be that the dash has been hurriedly reassembled without reconnecting the switches?
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Post by coyb1878 »

For the heater, i recently installed a new motor all by myself by following instructions available on this site (bit too drunk to bother looking for them now tbh) but if I can do it... anyone can! Took me a full day though. Its great when it works though. Martin at caprigear can get you a new Bosch motor.
My rear wiper doesn't work either.. it seems tricky with the connections to the boot gas struts and plunger and all. Good luck!
coyb1878
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1982 2.8i black over silver (good condition but not perfect)

Post by coyb1878 »

For the heater, i recently installed a new motor all by myself by following instructions available on this site (bit too drunk to bother looking for them now tbh) but if I can do it... anyone can! Took me a full day though. Its great when it works though. Martin at caprigear can get you a new Bosch motor.
My rear wiper doesn't work either.. it seems tricky with the connections to the boot gas struts and plunger and all. Good luck!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

coyb1878 wrote: it seems tricky with the connections to the boot gas struts and plunger and all. Good luck!
Just for clarity, the `plunger` supplies the power when you switch the motor on, the LH strut carries the power to self park (when you turn wiper off it stays powered till it`s parked)

Also, whilst it may well be the heater motor`s failed - don`t start ripping dash apart to replace it until you`ve done some basic continuity testing to prove it`s not just a connection.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Here's how to sort. Remove wiper and motor. Weld plate into resulting hole. Fill. Prime. Paint. Problem solved.
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

Dunno if anyone's mentioned it, I'm too lazy to read all the posts. But be worth checking the tail light clusters that the earthing bar hasn't been pulled away when putting the units in. I had problems with all my electrics because of this.
Ratty as fuck