General consensus on my new bonnet?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SpikeCapri
Car(s): Ford Capri X-Pack 1987

Re: General consensus on my new bonnet?

Post by SpikeCapri »

Looks good, do what you want to your car. MORE VENTS
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

If it was already modded, and free, and you're not losing/changing the original, then there's no problem with it imo. As for the style/taste of it.... well I wouldn't want it on my car. Not because I dislike it, it just wouldn't go with the way I'm doing mine. If it goes with the overall theme of the car then I reckon it could look really good.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

peers.dupp wrote:
vp-reynolds4 wrote:Terra kotta are we not giving you enough attention? I'm terribly sorry if not. You just let me know and I'll sort summat out jus for youuu.
Hi,
To be fair, VP, you have posted photos on a public forum asking for a 'general consensus'.
The public have reached a consensus and delivered their verdict..... :)
Andrew.
I'm only winding him up nothing wrong with a wind up.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

vp-reynolds4 wrote:
peers.dupp wrote:
vp-reynolds4 wrote:Terra kotta are we not giving you enough attention? I'm terribly sorry if not. You just let me know and I'll sort summat out jus for youuu.
Hi,
To be fair, VP, you have posted photos on a public forum asking for a 'general consensus'.
The public have reached a consensus and delivered their verdict..... :)
Andrew.
I'm only winding him up nothing wrong with a wind up.
Not winding me up. Seem to do a good enough job o winding yourself up. Just a troll.
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Post by 80s kid »

I think terra kotta is just upset he has no style ;)
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Caprigear wrote:What the F **k are some people thinking of with what they are doing to "personalise" the Capri.Surely there must be Saxos and Corsas around that would be better suited to this kind of butchery.
With ever declining numbers of Capris why inflict this kind of vandalism on them??. Maybe 20 years ago it didn't matter as there were plenty of them still around, not any more.
I could not agree with this statement more. Why would anyone want to take something that is becoming more and more rare and already looks amazing and deform to make it look s***.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

80s kid wrote:I think terra kotta is just upset he has no style ;)

I think you'll find my last one was a famous and well known car that performed and looke good without sticking plastic shit all over it.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Jim wrote:
Caprigear wrote:What the F **k are some people thinking of with what they are doing to "personalise" the Capri.Surely there must be Saxos and Corsas around that would be better suited to this kind of butchery.
With ever declining numbers of Capris why inflict this kind of vandalism on them??. Maybe 20 years ago it didn't matter as there were plenty of them still around, not any more.
I could not agree with this statement more. Why would anyone want to take something that is becoming more and more rare and already looks amazing and deform to make it look s***.
Precisely they are becoming rare so if you have one make it your own not like it was 30 years ago. If that's the look you want personally then go for it but not just cuz the cars are rare now.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Terra-Kotta wrote:
80s kid wrote:I think terra kotta is just upset he has no style ;)

I think you'll find my last one was a famous and well known car that performed and looke good without sticking plastic shit all over it.
Have you got any pics on here I can see mate?
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

To be fair Terra-Kotta's last Capri was damn nice.... And rapid too.

As for the bonnet.... Personally I think if you have the go to match the show then you'd get away with the side vents, if they fit with the rest of the car obviously. The scoop thing is not for me though, apart from anything it can't help with the cars aerodynamics.

The problem with all this stuff is that unless you're running serious power it just makes the Capri look silly when you get utterly smoked by a Fiesta ST!
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

mjcapri wrote:To be fair Terra-Kotta's last Capri was damn nice.... And rapid too.

As for the bonnet.... Personally I think if you have the go to match the show then you'd get away with the side vents, if they fit with the rest of the car obviously. The scoop thing is not for me though, apart from anything it can't help with the cars aerodynamics.

The problem with all this stuff is that unless you're running serious power it just makes the Capri look silly when you get utterly smoked by a Fiesta ST!
I agree with you on the last bit, when I have thoughts of my car its always parked somewhere never at traffic lights with Chavs next to me revving the bollox off their cars.

I'm not doubting terra kotta s ability in his knowledge of cars and engines I'm just having a mess about. I'd like to see that car.
DCDave
Car(s): 82 Capri 2.8i 4sp
Integra type R

Post by DCDave »

Fair enough if your car was already butchered but to stick that abortion on an otherwise standard car will look bloody awful IMO. Best place for that is where it was originally destined for when you found it.

Each to their own though.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

DCDave wrote:...but to stick that abortion on....
Nicely put :)
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Ok 1st its reversible
But ATM its out of character with the rest of the car and really after the show side of things its really only any good for a hi powered V8.

Fact of the matter is yours is a low end Capri (sorry) its not like its a Tickford or a 280 ETC
so I wouldn't worry about People going on about about it being altered etc there are 2 types of people who keep cars like the Capri on the road those who treat them like a museum piece and those who make then better than the cheap stakes at ford did.

IMO the smallest engine should have been the 2.8I the 3.0 should have been injected and a V8 version should have been on the done and the brakes and handling should have been much much better.

But then as many people say the capri was built badly so we could have our fun.
vp-reynolds4
Donator
Donator
Car(s): crapper

Post by vp-reynolds4 »

I'm an all show with no go kinda guy. The way I see it with no power I cant be tempted to speed and thus my car lasts longer looking good driving than going fast crashing.
Hoonigan
Car(s): capri MK1 Facelift

Post by Hoonigan »

Personally, it's not something I'd do. A bulge sits better on a capri I reckon. An enlarged version on the stock bonnet wouldn't hurt as much.

Then again, it's your car and it should look good to you before anyone else. And since you're being careful to make it reversible, I see no harm in trying it out. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

blitzy wrote:IMO the smallest engine should have been the 2.8I the 3.0 should have been injected and a V8 version should have been on the done and the brakes and handling should have been much much better.
I know what you mean, but that`s kind of missing the point; Ford were not trying to make the best possible car - they were trying to make a mass produced car which would sell in the millions, and in that they succeeded. But that success was mainly through 4 cylinder models; your average guy in the `70s couldn`t afford the running costs or insurance for V6 models, not to drive to work & back everyday. Horses for courses.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

...And that's why around a quarter of all Capri's sold had the 1.6 engine. The most popular and common Capri engine. Having that engine was a masterstroke, the cars popularity would have been nothing like it is now if it was only made available with larger engines.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Post by Hot_Protein »

It will be good for catching leaves. I had one on my 1.6 for a laugh. Even had some Police men laugh at me (low point).

I think that banger racers are the real criminals where the Capri is concerned. They helped push up the price of the cars which will probably please some people but I was happier when they could be bought from someone's lawn for £50.

I will be modifying mine mechanically and internally because that's what I like to do but also because original parts are so bloody expensive.
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Glyn's car looked like a motability capri. He painted it a rust colour intentionally, and stretched tyres that were far too small for the dubiously legal banded steel wheels he put on there.

If I didn't know better, I'd say he was going for that ratty VW look you see, you know, where people fit 12 inch wheels and let the bonnet rust.

Ask him what noise the gear linkage made....

Rich