Rough idle??

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

Rough idle??

Post by HampshireCapri »

Any help appreciated here - my Capri has been idling very badly when warm recently - sometimes it's okay then other times its on the verge or cutting out or does cut out always starts back up though.. Also when I'm braking to a stop at a junction it will start to cut out on occasion.

Recently had an oil leak which left some oil sitting in one of the spark plugs would this have an effect?

The only time I used to have problems with idle was sitting in traffic and the engine getting hot - now ill be sitting for a couple of minutes and it wants to die on me
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Rough idle??

Post by pbar »

Probably the easiest thing first is to have a look at the points, and, as you have some suspicions, the plugs. Both of those things can cause what you describe. I assume your oil leak was from the rocker gasket? Oily plugs can cause issues but I'm not sure that oil leaking from there would have much effect.
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

My car had a similar problem, the carb use to ice up while driving along. This was in temperatures around 11degrees or less though. Would always start easy but use to conk out soon as it was about to come to a stop or slow right down. What carb do you have?
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

Post by 80s kid »

Jim wrote:My car had a similar problem, the carb use to ice up while driving along. This was in temperatures around 11degrees or less though. Would always start easy but use to conk out soon as it was about to come to a stop or slow right down. What carb do you have?
Mine did this but never startrd back up. Had to be towed home.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

HampshireCapri wrote:in traffic and the engine getting hot
First, did you sort this out - it shouldn't happen, details?
Next, whip the plugs out, clean & set the gaps, clean up HT leads & check the ends. Note if any particular plug is a different colour to the others - test for result.
Next, check points for pitting between the contacts - re-face or renew & set exactly to spec. then test for result.
Possible carb fouling but do the easy bits first.
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Is there a regular spitting out the exhaust....if so suspect valve clearances especially exhaust ones if you're not using an unleaded head with hardened seats. The dreaded valve seat recession. Check the valve clearances, chances are the exhaust valves have near enough closed up. :drama: