Coilover question

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Coilover question

Post by ThatGuy »

Righty so I've been out if the capri world for a few months now since my capri broke and I was forced to buy a new daily, but I've been browsing some capris today and it really makes me miss driving my capri. So I'm thinking of actually doing some work on my capri again as it's just been sitting in my drive looking sad for her self.

My question is can you get just a cheap set of coilovers for a capri as in all 4 corners? I've had a little look around and I've seen you can get strut conversion kits for the front struts, but then I was thinking can you wack coilovers on the rears? But then do you need to get rid of the leaf springs or do they need to stay? What's the deal?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, sorry if I sound dumb but suspension really isn't my forte
Thanks in advance guys
Ratty as fuck
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Re: Coilover question

Post by rich_jc »

Fronts yes, rears....... yes, but not without major major surgery.

What is up with your car?

Rich
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Yea that's what I thought. Well my fuel sender broke a day before my tax was due at the end of December so I decided to sorn it and and sort all the things I wanted to get done to her that I couldn't do while she was my daily. But unfortunately my new daily has some how become my priority as I can't just leave we'll enough alone :/ so my cap has just been sat on my drive feeling sorry for itself
Ratty as fuck
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Fuel sender, 9 times out of 10 is usually corroded contacts or connectors.

The nice weather is coming, get it taxed and back on the road again.

Rich
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

You can get 1.9" coilovers for the rear and use them in conjunction with the single leafs. however they are overkill for a road car. better for track/race car. You don't need to do any major surgery with these :)
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

rich_jc wrote: The nice weather is coming, get it taxed and back on the road again.
Yes definitely, and leave the MX5 on the drive instead, there are million of those about, drive the Capri!
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

rich_jc wrote:Fuel sender, 9 times out of 10 is usually corroded contacts or connectors.

The nice weather is coming, get it taxed and back on the road again.

Rich
Surprisingly that wasn't my problem, my fuel gauge has always worked it was the actual fuel line. Where the outlet comes through the dented back plate, the seal around it had corroded and was leaking petrol. I managed to fix that so now my plan is to just make it a better car and try and drive again :)
Ratty as fuck
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Will01 wrote:You can get 1.9" coilovers for the rear and use them in conjunction with the single leafs. however they are overkill for a road car. better for track/race car. You don't need to do any major surgery with these :)
But surely if your using coilovers with leaf springs, you wouldn't be able able to change the ride height a great deal as the leafs determine the height?
Ratty as fuck
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

You are correct the leafs would determine ride height. But you could either use lowering blocks or modify leafs. Coilovers are not just for varying height, the proper ones are there to allow more.finite adjustment on suspension.
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Monroe used to do rear shocks called "Loadlevellers". They are a shocker with a coil spring over it so I suppose it's a coilover of sorts but non adjustable. they were used if you were towing a caravan or similar to stop the rear end sagging. I managed to pick up a pair for my Laser off the bay for 15 squid. Unfortunately they're now obsolete and not made anymore but they pop up now and again on ebay. :ebay:
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

PeterG2.8 wrote:Monroe used to do rear shocks called "Loadlevellers". They are a shocker with a coil spring over it so I suppose it's a coilover of sorts but non adjustable. they were used if you were towing a caravan or similar to stop the rear end sagging. I managed to pick up a pair for my Laser off the bay for 15 squid. Unfortunately they're now obsolete and not made anymore but they pop up now and again on ebay. :ebay:
Surely as they have springs you could just uprate the springs to lower ones? Did they take much work to get them to fit? And also do they require you to keep the leaf springs or can you do away with them?
Thanks for the help anyway :)
Ratty as fuck
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator

Post by PeterG2.8 »

They bolted straight on but you have to keep the rear leafs.

This is them,

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Cheers for all the reply and help guy, I think the easiest thing to do will be to upgrade to single leafs then use block, as coilovers on the rears so like a lot of work and I'm fairly lazy :)
Ratty as fuck
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

PeterG2.8 wrote:They bolted straight on but you have to keep the rear leafs.

This is them,

There is a pair of these Monroe shocks/springs on Ebay at the moment if you decide to go this route. Bidding starts at £20 + P&P.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-capri-sh ... 258c869e7d
Andrew.
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Someone should snap them up.....a bargain and cracking bit of kit.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

PeterG2.8 wrote:Someone should snap them up.....a bargain and cracking bit of kit.
I had a set of these. They are regular oil filled filled shocks with a spring around them. Side by Side with gas shocks there's not much difference, I found the gas shocks harder to compress by hand. And would you buy old shocks? Please say no!
:spam:
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator

Post by PeterG2.8 »

They may be oldish but have never been fitted to a car. I've used them for 2 years now and they're superb. I can load all the club gear in without the rear end being down on the bump stops and at 15 quid they were a bargain :beer: