2.8 speedo problems

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8 speedo problems

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
r2vdh wrote:Your most simple option is to remove the gauge cluster and using two small screwdrivers lever off the your needle and press it back on into the right position.
If it reads over the same amount across the range this will be the fix you will need.
The Indicator can slip if it hasnt been pressed on correctly.
:applaud:
Thanks for that, I might give that a try. I will check to see where the needle rests in position when the car is stationary.
r2vdh wrote:Have you got white dials in your car??
No, but the needle may still have been removed at some point, you never know.
All the best,
Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

They do simply just pull off. Might be tight though, but turning it first, past the point of zero obviously, will loosen it to make it easier.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Following a roadtest, I found the following:-
At 2500 RPM I achieved approximately 51 MPH in 4th gear and 64 MPH in 5th gear (both indicated). According to figures in an Autocar roadtest their test car was geared for 21.17 MPH per 1000 RPM in 4th and 25.66 in 5th. Therefore, I believe the rear axle in my car to be of the correct ratio.

This leads me to believe that the problem must be with the needle or the instruments themselves. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check the if the speedo needle under-read is constant as it started raining during the test and I had to beat a hasty retreat to the sanctuary of the garage. Hopefully tomorrow! :)

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
r2vdh wrote:If it reads over the same amount across the range this will be the fix you will need.
The Indicator can slip if it hasnt been pressed on correctly.
:applaud:
Thank you, r2vdh. 8-) I found that the speedometer does always read under the correct speed by 3MPH across the range.
Next weekend I will remove the instruments and try to re-fix the needle in the correct position. :)

Thanks everyone for all the advice offered.

All the best,
Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

No problem. Simple fix now go have a beer :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

r2vdh wrote:No problem. Simple fix now go have a beer :beer:
Hi,
Finally I've got to the bottom of this issue. I had a niggling feeling that the speedo driven gear was incorrect, so I bought the correct 22 teeth gear from Burton Power (although I believe that they are still available from Ford).
As you can see, the speedo gear retaining cap put up a heck of a fight, but I got it off in the end! Luckily I'd anticipated this happening and had bought a replacement item.

I'd read on here that the gearbox oil leaks out when the speedo gear is removed, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to change the gearbox oil. I bought myself one of these badboys to drain the remaining oil.

That was all last night, but as removing the gear retaining cap had taken a lot longer than anticipated it was getting very late. I had a go at draining the oil using the pump but at the time it didn't seem to work. So, as you do, I thought I'd leave the job until the morning. When I opened the garage door the next day I found this.

Unfortunately, I'd left the drain pipe that came with the pump in the gearbox and the previous night I must have pumped enough into the pipe to allow the oil to siphon out onto the garage floor. Oops!
I removed the old speedo drive gear and found that my hunch was correct. 25 teeth! Speedo gear has now been replaced and new oil pumped into the gearbox (more mess!). Roadtest completed and all is well with the world. :) The speedo is more or less spot on now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice,
Andrew.
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Good work! I just put tippex marks on my dash, but it's good to see how it should be done.

Rich
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rich_jc wrote:Good work! I just put tippex marks on my dash, but it's good to see how it should be done.

Rich
Hi,
Funny that you should say that, as I was going to shamelessly copy your tipp-ex idea after seeing the photo that you posted, but changed my mind! :)

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

When I worked at Peugeot in 90s guy kept bringing car back saying will not reach the 129 mph top speed. Everyone looked at car went back and forth between garage and owner. In the end I said change the speedo drive. Never saw him again after that.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Terra-Kotta wrote:When I worked at Peugeot in 90s guy kept bringing car back saying will not reach the 129 mph top speed. Everyone looked at car went back and forth between garage and owner. In the end I said change the speedo drive. Never saw him again after that.
:lol: That's brilliant! I bet he was well chuffed with his 'faster' car, too!

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

peers.dupp wrote:
Terra-Kotta wrote:When I worked at Peugeot in 90s guy kept bringing car back saying will not reach the 129 mph top speed. Everyone looked at car went back and forth between garage and owner. In the end I said change the speedo drive. Never saw him again after that.
:lol: That's brilliant! I bet he was well chuffed with his 'faster' car, too!

Andrew.
Guy was the biggest tosser you've ever met. I spoke to him and asked "what racetrack are you testing the top speed on?" And he put in a complaint!!!!

I came up with the idea to change the speedo drive from another model and I presume he was happy as he never came back.