K&N air filter

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
HampshireCapri
Car(s): 1981 Ford Capri 1.6 'L'

K&N air filter

Post by HampshireCapri »

Hoping someone can help me, I'm looking to get rid of my standard ford air filter and looking at purchasing a K&N filter from eBay however unsure which one I'm looking for to fit my 1981 1.6 Capri. Running a weber carb too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-0650-K-N-C ... 58a139f384

Would that be appropriate?

Also are there any noticeable differences to running a K&N air filter?
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: K&N air filter

Post by -JC- »

As long as you have a Weber 34 ICH it should be fine, there's plenty of height so there's no issue there, just a case of matching the filter to your carb.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Though I don't have experience with those filters, I'm not actually sure that you would notice much difference in just changing the standard one for that?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi,

As already said that filter will not make a huge difference to the performance of the car.

It will let the engine breathe easier and change the sound slightly but if the engine is completely std then and gains will be very hard to notice if at all.

The big advantage is it is cleanable and will be worth while if you put a sports system on the car and add a 2.0 cam at a later date.

On the whole I would get one but don't be disappointed if you do not see an improvement.

Also during the winter you might get carb icing and it being a bit more temperamental to get going as you will lose the warm air feed that the original air filter assembly supplies during cold starts.

All the best